CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AUSTINCTS1

I have a check engine light, and Onstar indicates a code P0008. I recently had P0006, but the engine light would go off and on. I'm taking the car into the dealership on Thursday. I read that P0008 deals with the Cam Shaft and timing belt. What can I expect, my extended warranty is done, and I have 77,000 miles on my 2007 CTS? Is timing chain covered under 100k warranty? I'm kind of nervous about how much this is going to cost. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

P0008 Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1

I don't have a 2007 FSM, so I must guess, but it seems that this is either a crank sensor or a VVT control. I don't know if the VVT works with the timing belt or the valve train in the head, but I thought that it was in the head.

At 77,000 miles I would expect that a timing belt is overdue. I would also ask them to change the serpentine belt and tensioner.

As for the warranty, I'll leave that to others that own a 2007 CTS. These items may be considered "normal wear" rather than warranty failures, or they may be covered to provide a 100,000 mile maintenance-free experience.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

That engine uses a timing chain rather then a rubber timing belt.

There is a couple of GM TSB's with the 008 code. Cannot find a 006 code.

1) #07-06-01-013B: LP1, LY7 MIL/DTCs P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 or P0019 (Replace Primary Drive and Both Secondary Drive Timing Chains) - (Jun 18, 2008)

2) #PIP3423B: DTC P0016 P0017 P0018 P0019 P0008 P0009 - keywords 2.8 3.6 actuator camshaft crankshaft LLT LP1 LY7 MIL reluctor SES - (Jul 16, 2008)

P0006 Fuel Shutoff Valve "A" Control Circuit Low

Ah, HAH! I forgot the camshaft sensor. I would go with the TSBs. A dealer that doesn't like come-backs would likely change both cam sensor and all the timing chains on warranty, assuming that we have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have a check engine light, and Onstar indicates a code P0008. I recently had P0006, but the engine light would go off and on. I'm taking the car into the dealership on Thursday. I read that P0008 deals with the Cam Shaft and timing belt. What can I expect, my extended warranty is done, and I have 77,000 miles on my 2007 CTS? Is timing chain covered under 100k warranty? I'm kind of nervous about how much this is going to cost. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry to hear you're having an issue with your CTS. Please let us know if any updates or issues with the dealership in getting it resolved. If you send a PM, please include your VIN#, name, situation, current mileage, dealership name, and contact information.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Sorry to hear you're having an issue with your CTS. Please let us know if any updates or issues with the dealership in getting it resolved. If you send a PM, please include your VIN#, name, situation, current mileage, dealership name, and contact information. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Archived