CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No Sound from Radio--2000 DeVille non Bose

I am at my wits end. I have a base 2000 deville with U1R radio/cd non bose and no OnStar......radio system powers up and no sound whatsoever...just stopped working.....radio turns on and all features work and you can faintly hear a hum from the speakers that gets a tad bit louder when you turn the volume up. Car is at cad dealership now......i bought an amp and head unit off of ebay and dealer hooked tech 2 up to it and says all systems "are communicating with each other". Dealer told me at first it was the amp.....i put in new amp and took back to them as they indicated the replacement amp had to be programmed (still not sure if that is the case but whatever). They programmed the amp and still nothing.

1) Next step I will "tell" i mean "sell" them on swapping out head units and reprogramming the ebay radio to my vin and see what happens.

2) Does anyone have an idea as to what other modules may come into play such as the DIM (Dash integration module) or RIM (Rear Integration Module)?

I have full access to all gm service info and can not find anything concrete other than to call TAC for a case to be setup when dealer techs are stumped and was wondering if anyone has this problem. Vehicle has no codes set but has had a U1016 in history but if you clear it out it will not come back for several cycles if at all. The diagnostic flow charts within gm service ops keep pointing to radio and amp and beyond that to call TAC.

Like I said I am at my wits end and any help would be appreciated before i start throwing parts (modules that is) at it.

Thanks!

Jeff

Ok....if you just want the radio and amp to work....I would put the original radio and amp back in...and disconnect the battery. And retry...many times the radio and amp will start working again.

Also...bet the dealer is having a hell of a time getting that other amp to work. GM has a bulletin:

"Class 2 Serial Data Communication allows control modules (i.e. the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the Body Control Module (BCM), the Dash Integration Module (DIM), the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), the radio, the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Controller, and the Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) to exchange information. This information may be operational information or identification information. Among the identification information exchanged and compared within these modules is the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Typically the one module, the master module, broadcasts the VIN and all the other modules compare the VIN stored within itself. When the broadcast VIN does not match the VIN stored within the SDM, the following actions occur:

• DTC B1001 Option Configuration Error is set and deployment of the airbags is inhibited.

• DTC B1271 or a DTC B1780 Theft Locked.

The VIN information is also used by the radio. When the VIN does not match the VIN stored within the radio, DTC B1271 or DTC B1780 is set and the radio is inoperative.

Additionally, the master module will compare the SDM's part number (last four digits) to determine if the correct SDM is installed in the vehicle. If the SDM is the wrong part, a B1001 will also set.

This situation may occur when a vehicle is being repaired. When a PCM or a body control type module is replaced, the VIN information must be programmed into the replaced (new) control module. A module which has had VIN information entered into it (for example, one taken from another vehicle) cannot be reprogrammed. VIN information can only be entered into new modules. The ignition must be ON in order to program the control module. Since the VIN information is broadcast when the ignition goes to ON from any other ignition switch position, DTCs may be set in the SDM and/or the radio. Therefore, always follow the specified control module replacement procedures.

After completing the repair, turn OFF the ignition for at least 30 seconds.

Turn ON the ignition and check for DTCs using a Tech 2® scan tool.

If DTCs B1001, B1271, or B1780 are present with a history status, DO NOT REPLACE THE SDM OR THE RADIO.

Clear the DTCs from all modules using the Tech 2 scan tool.

Remove the Tech 2® from the vehicle

Ensure the proper operation of the SDM by turning OFF the ignition and then turning ON the ignition. The air bag warning indicator should flash seven times and then go OFF.

Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 99-09-41-001 for additional information regarding proper reprogramming of the new/replaced module.

Clearing codes from the other modules is part of the replacement and reprogramming procedure for the replaced module. The repair is not complete unless all codes have been cleared from all modules."

that is the key. once a module is vin programmed, it cannot be reprogrammed. some dealers will not tell you that. I agree with above. Hope you still have the original modules.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Also as Logan said - usually a battery reset fixed this problem.

Do you have chimes? (driver door open + headlight switch on or keys in ignition)? this can narrow it down to the radio amp circuit and the chime circuit on the amp.

I can only speak for the 96-99 Deville sound systems, but the AMP was not programmed with the VIN - only the Radiohead unit was. & the radio can be reprogrammed / or reset to take the VIN from the next car it is attached to (the next vehicle it is married to)

Are you sure you even have a AMP? -

If there are no chimes, I would suspect a data communication (purple wire) link is bad. If you can still access the codes on a 2000 using the (off+ warmer), you should have data for the AMP & IRD where (IRD is the radio head, and AMP is the Amplifier if you have one)

I am leaning towards a bad AMP, or the AMP is the component without a good link to data.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived