CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What does "Service Stabiltity System" mean??

On my '01 Deville,it came on with the "ABS" message as well.Mine turned out to be a sensor on one of the wheels.You should go to the OBD and see what,if any codes are there.In my case the Stability and ABS lights were intermittent.Would come on sometimes,sometimes they wouldnt.I checked the codes and they pointed to the left front wheel sensor.I just had to disconnect the sensor,used some contact cleaner in it and it was good.

:welcomesmiley:

As Stokes says, it means that one of the sensors that Stabilitrak uses (the same ones that ABS and traction control, plus accelerometers and a gyro) aren't talking to the EBTCM, or that their outputs are inconsistent. Usually it's a wiring problem like a loose or dirty connector, as Stokes experienced. The OBD trouble codes will tell you which sensor, and we can tell you from the OBD codes how to look for the connectors, wiring and sensor.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

There are no sensors on the tie rod end. The most common issues when we see a level control, RSS, TCS, ABS, or Stabilitrak error or message are the wheel speed sensors and the ride height sensors, because their wiring and connectors are the most exposed to water, mud, salt, and road debris.

Sensors that may affect one or all of the electronically controlled suspension functions are, from the 1997 FSM pages 8A-42-6, 8A-43-2,

• Ride height sensors, rear are on the rear suspension support and front are on the cradle (FSM doesn't say)
  • Wheel speed sensors, at the center of the hub on the inside of all four wheels
  • Steering wheel position sensor
  • Lateral accelerometer, under passenger seat
  • Yaw rate sensor (laser ring gyro), under the package shelf at the rear window, accessed from the trunk

Working with the tie rod ends won't put you near any of these, so it's probably a coincidence. Run the OBD codes; they will tell you which sensor is not getting through.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Could it be because I just changed my "outer tie rod end"??There was no sensors on it,and ive changed it so why would the light stay on?

Maybe in the course of changing the tie rod end, you bumped the connection for the wheel speed sensor on the back of the hub and caused it to become unseated in it's connector.

I would check that conection first.

Posted Image

Could it be because I just changed my "outer tie rod end"??There was no sensors on it,and ive changed it so why would the light stay on?

What you really could use is instructions on how to display Diagnostic Trouble Codes. The instructions used to be easy to find on this forum but seem to have disappeared.

Here they are.

DTC display; 1998-2004 Seville and 2000-2005 Deville

Use the 3 switches located to the right of the Driver Information Center (DIC) to activate and respond to the OBD prompts on the DIC.

ON/OFF = YES

INFO RESET = NO

INFO DOWN or INFO UP = manual toggle

Ignition ON, acknowledge any warning messages; press ON/OFF and INFO UP together for 2 to 3 seconds. Everything in front of you lights up for 4 or 5 seconds, then you will see:

Display shows "ALL?"

Answering YES will display "ALL CODES?"

Answering YES will run automatic test sequence and display codes, if any. Systems and codes will scroll faster than I am able to read them and write them; not to worry.

"ALL CLEAR CODES?" will display at the end of the automatic test. If you are satisfied you have the information you need, answer YES

to clear/erase all error codes.

Answering "ALL?" with INFO DOWN will toggle systems test manually in order.

Answering "ALL?" with INFO UP will toggle system test manually in reverse order.

Press INFO RESET to reset DIC to "ALL?" to start again.

Ignition OFF to exit.

SYSTEMS: (as of 1998)

ABS (Antilock Brake System)

AMP (Amplifier)

DDM (Door Driver Module)

DIM (Dash Integration Module)

IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)

IPM (Instrument Panel Module)

IRC (Integrated Radio Module)

PCM (Powertrain Control Module)

RFA (Remote Function Actuation)

RIM (Rear Integration Module)

SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module) Includes airbag crash data. Under RF seat of Seville.

VTD (Vehicle Theft Deterrent)

MSM (Memory Seat Module)

TTM (Tilt/Telescoping Module)

RSS (Road Sensing Suspension)

last edited 12/27/04 jwd

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thank yall very much for the responses,ive been slackin the last few days,but come Monday ima go get the code tester and report the codes.

You don't need a code tester...

You car will display the codes for you...

Read post number 7...

Posted Image

On the A/C console, press OFF and the PASSENGER WARMER Rocker simultaneously for a few seconds until all the dash lights turn on, then release them...

Archived