CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Loud noise when turning left 1996 Deville

Rckjaws10

Whenever the car is being driven there is a droning noise that can constantly be heard. However when turning left just slightly the noise gets very loud. Especially loud over 30mph and going at highway speeds and coming to a long turn. The best way I can describe it is a rubbing or maybe even an airplane like sound. When driving straight it can be heard but not nearly as loud as when going left. Car is silent on a right turn. Also going over any series of bumps, as the car lifts into the air for just a second the noise is gone. Then when coming back down and all the weight returns the noise can be heard loudly then as the car evens back out it will quiet down to just barely being heard. Now, Ive read that a good possibility would be the wheel bearing, but that it would be the opposite side the noise is heard from. So I have replaced the right side bearing.. and the old bearing was coming apart with all the grease out of it yet the noise persists. Also only one pad on the front left tire is worn down worse than the other pad on the same wheel. I greased the caliper pins and put them back. My question is where to go from here and what possibilities? Could the left bearing also be bad since the right was in such bad shape? Thanks.

absolutely. They very commonly go in pairs. I just last did mine last year. When you change the worst one you start to hear the other side. I say if the other one has not been changed. Absolutely change it. That is very likely your problem.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I recently replaced both front hubs on my car...

I knew one was bad, from going curb climbing at 45 MPH... LOL

Since it had over 100,000 miles at the time, I replaced the other one just because...

Posted Image

Okay I think I will replace it. Can the side that makes noise while turning have the bad bearing? Since I replaced the right side I really noticed no change. Other than visually seeing it was in very bad shape.

Okay I think I will replace it. Can the side that makes noise while turning have the bad bearing? Since I replaced the right side I really noticed no change. Other than visually seeing it was in very bad shape.

It isn't SUPPOSED TO... but it can... :):)

I KNEW mine was the drivers side, because I had hit a big curb... but it SOUNDED LIKE it was the passengers side.

There wasn't anything wrong with the passengers side, but when I replaced the drivers side, I replaced it also just because of the mileage.

Posted Image

Sounds good. Did that solve your noise problem? I can't really think of anything else it could be. As I said before there was and is no noise on right turns. Only the left, and the noise is exactly the same as before replacing the right side bearing as after. So reading into it I read turning left makes the weight shift to the right bearing and the noise can be misinterpreted as coming from the left side since that is where the noise is loud while driving, But is actually the right bearing. Anyways it is very loud turning left and I can even feel very slight vibration through the gas pedal as my foot is on it. However I am going to replace the left side also to see if that solves the problem. After all if the pass. side was in such bad shape I would imagine the left is either the same or not far behind.

Sounds good. Did that solve your noise problem? I can't really think of anything else it could be. As I said before there was and is no noise on right turns. Only the left, and the noise is exactly the same as before replacing the right side bearing as after. So reading into it I read turning left makes the weight shift to the right bearing and the noise can be misinterpreted as coming from the left side since that is where the noise is loud while driving, But is actually the right bearing. Anyways it is very loud turning left and I can even feel very slight vibration through the gas pedal as my foot is on it. However I am going to replace the left side also to see if that solves the problem.

After all if the pass. side was in such bad shape I would imagine the left is either the same or not far behind.

That was kinda my way of thinking also...

When I got it off....My drivers side bearing had a real ROUGH feel to it when you would turn it by hand.

But I was kinda expecting it to.

The noise went away when I replaced it, but since I already had the other one on hand, I replaced it too, the next weekend.

Posted Image

on my Deville there was no play but both were noisy. Just a nuisance and warning. No way to grease them and they dry out

GM FAN FOREVER

Well I replaced the left bearing and the noise is gone! Puts my mind at ease knowing that it is fixed. The left bearing was also in pieces when pulled off the knuckle. My right side was bad and made no noise, left side was also bad and had terrible noise when turning left. I guess my advice from now on would be to simply replace them both if one has gone and they are both at high miles. Thanks again everyone for all the advice.

excellent. Silence is golden. I got lucky. Both mine were noisy but had no play or binds. I replaced both regardless

GM FAN FOREVER

Well I replaced the left bearing and the noise is gone! Puts my mind at ease knowing that it is fixed. The left bearing was also in pieces when pulled off the knuckle. My right side was bad and made no noise, left side was also bad and had terrible noise when turning left. I guess my advice from now on would be to simply replace them both if one has gone and they are both at high miles. Thanks again everyone for all the advice.

Glad you got it all fixed... :hatsoff:

Posted Image

Archived