CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4.9 liter vs Northstar intake manifold gasket (design) problem

Hello I was shooting the breeze with a mechanic today and among conversation topics he mentioned that my 92 Eldo shared a common weakness with the Northstar engine.

Specifically cited was the proneness for intake manifold gasket failure and that the shared intake manifold design that apparently allows coolant leaks into engine rather than outward where it would be easily observable.

I am aware that the Northstar has a problem with the vacuum leak in the rubber plenum between the throttle body and intake manifold but I was not aware that, at least, the 4.9 liter engine had the intake manifold Achilles heal.

Is this true or was the mechanic a bit loose on the facts? Does the Northstar have this "common" issue anyway?

Thanks !!

(doing a search of the archives did not help !)

Hello I was shooting the breeze with a mechanic today and among conversation topics he mentioned that my 92 Eldo shared a common weakness with the Northstar engine.

Your 4.9 liter engine shares little to nothing with a Northstar engine. This "mechanic" was using too many generalities OR knows not whereof he speaks.

Specifically cited was the proneness for intake manifold gasket failure and that the shared intake manifold design that apparently allows coolant leaks into engine rather than outward where it would be easily observable.

Your 4.9 liter might exhibit that symptom (I have no experience with a 4.9) but the Northstar engine has a "dry" intake manifold. Meaning there is zero engine coolant flow through the intake manifold.

Apple and oranges as far as intake coolant leaks go.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Hey JimD, sounds like he was shooting the bull !!!

Oh well, some folks find it hard to talk straight... makes it difficult to walk away "informed".

I did suspect something when he said the two engines shared that intake manifold design. Even a person like me with faint mechanical wisdom knew the Northstar was a completely distinct beast !!

That is why this forum (and its contributing members) is so great !!

p.s. I have never read any posts about the 4.9 liter engine having this problem as a commonality.

Just that it was a fairly 'bullet proof' engine but the 'lower bearing' (or something similar) sometimes made noise...

Can also confirm northstar intake has no coolant at all.

The only intake problems I ever see with the northstar is the blow by valve sticks, or one of the gaskets gets a small crack. Both minor problems.

Both the 4.9 and 4.6 are very reliable engines but both are very different. I cant even think of any way to compare them. That is like trying to compare the northstar to the 3.6l. completely different.

The most common problem I have ever run into with the 4.9 was bad coil pack on the distributor cap.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The mechanic is full of BS as JimD pointed out.

A few years back, I was at a party and was talking to someone about the Northstar engine and he told me, "Better hope your starter doesn't go out - it's an $1800 job to fix it. What were they thinking putting the starter under the intake???" I asked him where he came up with the $1800 figure and he said, "That's what the dealer charged me to replace my starter." I told him that he was ripped off by the dealer and he started arguing with me on what had to be done. I told him I replaced the headgaskets on a Northstar (my '97 STS) and timed myself in removing the intake and I said it took me 20 minutes to remove the intake. I also explained the engineering behind the location of the starter and that I'd rather change a Northstar starter vs. one located in the traditional mounting location any day of the week. The guy really didn't have much to say at that point....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hi KHE, what really bothers me is the mind games some mechanics try to play in order to test how much a potential client knows.., it is like a game where the player tries to gain psychological advantage and inject worry etc.

Of course the end game is to induce 'approach' toward the voice of 'knowledge/authority' (and end up emptying the pockets on 'creative pretzel logic- justifications for charges'.)

This topic now reminds me of another incident about 15 yrs ago where a mechanic told me my cam shaft lobes on another car were wearing (after adjusting the valves) and they needed replacing because of the bad consequences. The 'deal' he offered was like $800.

Fortunately the internet was young but around and I was able to cross reference the notion with forum participating mechanics.

Result: total B.S. I still own that other car and it operates excellent ! Nothing ever done to the cam shaft. I just change the oil often as regular maintenance. It is a diesel engine.

Happy 4th !

I think the northstar desiign for the starter is ingenious. To date I have never had to change one. and intake is cake to remove

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Hi KHE, what really bothers me is the mind games some mechanics try to play in order to test how much a potential client knows.., it is like a game where the player tries to gain psychological advantage and inject worry etc.

Of course the end game is to induce 'approach' toward the voice of 'knowledge/authority' (and end up emptying the pockets on 'creative pretzel logic- justifications for charges'.)

This topic now reminds me of another incident about 15 yrs ago where a mechanic told me my cam shaft lobes on another car were wearing (after adjusting the valves) and they needed replacing because of the bad consequences. The 'deal' he offered was like $800.

Fortunately the internet was young but around and I was able to cross reference the notion with forum participating mechanics.

Result: total B.S. I still own that other car and it operates excellent ! Nothing ever done to the cam shaft. I just change the oil often as regular maintenance. It is a diesel engine.

Happy 4th !

I personally get a kick out of letting the mechanic tell me all the erroneous info, and even encourage them sometime. Of course this is a fun way to entertain ones self on many subjects, not just cars. Then depending on the attitude of said speaker, maybe you point out the flaw in front anyone in listening distance, or privately to someone interested in learning. There is so much I don't know most often I am the guy just listening and hoping I am getting good info. I DETEST the spreading of false info. If you are a novice, how would you know what you were hearing is incorrect pre-internet?

Archived