CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

window glass adjustment

Norman L.

I am in the process of installing a new window regulator in the passenger side of a 2001 Deville and am nearly finished. However, I need to know how to adjust the glass in the track (fore and aft) before I tighten the two bolts holding the glass in the regulator.

I remember that when I did this on another regulator earlier, I recall that glass should be slid to the furthest point in the window track and then back off about 1/8 of an inch before tightening the bolts. Can't remember if this was at the front of the glass or at the rear so would appreciate it if someone could answer this question A.S.A.P. since I want to minimize wind noise and don't want to remove the door panel again if I do in incorrectly.

By the way, from all of the posts that I have read, it seems like nearly everyone has had problems with Cadillac window regulators. After this one, I will have replaced all four. They always fail when I am on a long trip so I keep some tape in the truck now and when it happens I can tape the glass up until I get back home. Problem could have been prevented years ago with a metal cable part instead of the cheap plastic that Cadillac has been using.

From 2001 Cadillac Service Manual

Front Door:

Install the window into the door in the following order:

Carefully lower the front edge of the window into the door from the outer side of the window opening.

Position the rear edge of the window downward.

Raise the window to the full up position.

Tape the window in place.

Important

Ensure that the rubber insulators are properly attached to the window regulator clamps.

Carefully raise the window regulator clamps to the full up position, engaging the window.

Remove the tape from the window.

Complete the following to properly position the window:

Lower the window approximately 2 in.

Seat the window fully rearward against the center pillar.

Adjust the window forward 2-3 mm (5/64-1/8 in).

Set the glass with the clamp fasteners.

Tighten the window clamp fasteners to 10.5 N·m (93 lb in).

Rear Door:

Install the window into the door in the following order:

Carefully lower the window into the door from the inner side window opening, making sure the rear edge of the window is between the inner door panel and the division post.

Position the window forward, away from the rear window channel.

Tape the window in place.

Install the rear window channel lower retaining fastener.

Tighten

Tighten the fastener to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Important

Ensure that the rubber insulators are properly attached to the window regulator clamps.

Carefully raise the window regulator clamps to the full up position, engaging the window.

Install the front window channel. Refer to Window Channel Replacement - Rear Door Front .

Remove the tape from the window.

Complete the following to properly position the window:

Lower the window approximately 2 in.

Seat the window fully rearward against the division post.

Adjust the window forward 2-3 mm (5/64-1/8 in).

Set the glass with the clamp fasteners.

Tighten the window clamp fasteners to 10.5 N·m (93 lb in).

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Problem could have been prevented years ago with a metal cable part instead of the cheap plastic that Cadillac has been using.

The cable regulators that every manufacturer uses nowadays are terrible. The durability test specification does not come close to what the part sees during its lifetime. I much prefer the old sicissors trye regulators.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Problem could have been prevented years ago with a metal cable part instead of the cheap plastic that Cadillac has been using.

The cable regulators that every manufacturer uses nowadays are terrible. The durability test specification does not come close to what the part sees during its lifetime. I much prefer the old sicissors trye regulators.

I couldnt agree more. but te scissor style regulators rarely ever failed so nobody made any money. but the cable regulators go bad constantly.

I never worry about aligning the window at all. I push the window up and hold it in place with shims. then once the regulator is in i slide the window down and into the regulator and voila lines right up, always done it like this and never had an issue yet

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived