CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'98 STS's ELC/ALC/Level control

Call it whichever you like. :)

Mine seems to work, but... When is it supposed to 'check the level'?

All the time?

Only at zero MPH?

Only at key on?

Other?

Reason I ask -- I have a slow leak in the system (no biggie, I'll find it one day!) so over a while it will inch downward.

I turned on the key yesterday (didn't start it), and I could hear the compressor kick in. Hung my leg out the door, and could feel the back end climb back up, hit it's stop point, compressor shuts off. Ok, groovy, it's all happy.

Drive down to the docks to pick up my in-laws from their cruise. They're rather.. ahem... heavy set.

They hop in the car and I drive off thinking "oh no problem, ALC will kick the back end up!".

When we got to their place I hop out first and see my rear tires jammed an inch or so into the wheel well! WTF?!

So... when is it SUPPOSED to engage?

it should work all the time, but sometimes the compressor needs a rest before it can completely fill the system. My Deville has the same issue once in awhile. But it till rides great. I chalk up mine to being original with almost 200k miles on the poor suspension

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

It can only put 100psi in the system or so. So if you have too much load in the car it will still sag quite a bit but that doesnt mean its not trying to level it. It can only level out a couple hundred pounds I believe. Ive had a couple hundred pounds in my trunk in my 00 DTS along with a couple people in the back and the tires were tucking pretty good.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Hmmm... One would think that it would adapt as you went. I did!

It should.

It can only put 100psi in the system or so. So if you have too much load in the car it will still sag quite a bit but that doesnt mean its not trying to level it. It can only level out a couple hundred pounds I believe. Ive had a couple hundred pounds in my trunk in my 00 DTS along with a couple people in the back and the tires were tucking pretty good.

Every spring & fall I pick up 10 50# salt bags for my water softener. The system compensates and levels off perfectly with no indication of a load in the trunk.

Every spring & fall I pick up 10 50# salt bags for my water softener. The system compensates and levels off perfectly with no indication of a load in the trunk.

I'll have to just take a stab in the dark and say that the two of them plus luggage exceeds the 500lb mark.

Ok, who am I kidding. They don't need the luggage to exceed it. :D

Guess the next time I've got some heavier friends over I'll have 'em all sit in the trunk and see how much it can lift!

If it's too much - I can just remove them one at a time, and not feel guilty about asking their actual weight.

I had 500lbs of shingles in my fleetwood trunk today and it leveled out pretty good. Didnt ride like normal but looked pretty close to level. Actually felt like wheel hop in the back on bumps. The shocks are new though so all the weight was probably the cause. I didnt have much gas in the tank also, a full tank is almost 150lbs so that mightve affected it more. I always figured the 300lbs mark to level out because the towing capacity of these cars I think I remembered reading somewhere of having a 300lbs tongue weight limit, maybe true maybe not but thats why I thought it could only level out 300lbs.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Archived