CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Slight Overheating Problem

Texas Jim

Hi Jim,

I just got back from a round trip; Cameron Pk, CA to Naubinway, MI with my 2004 DTS, mostly along Interstate 80. The odometer just went over 100,000 miles.

My DTS temperature normally runs rock solid in the 12 o'clock position. Several times on this trip it rose to the first index past 12 o'clock.

Once while in Madison, WI; "stop and go" 0-30 MPH, temp 88, humidity 70%.

And a couple of times on fairly steep grades ( 65-70 MPH) where the transmission was shifting between 3rd and 4th a number of times.

Steady driving at 75-80 with temps at, or above 96, did not bother it at all. I think that the transmission must be putting a heavy load on the cooling system; at least in my case. When it needs to do some extra shifting work, the transmission just temporarily overloads the cooling system. I am going to look into adding more transmission cooling capacity.

PS

Trunk was packed absolutely full; about 400-500 pounds of books, suitcases, sewing machine, the list goes on...

-George

Thanks George,

Appreciate the information.

Mine has never moved more than the width of the temp needle past 12 o'clock before except for a time or two when I was driving really aggressively on really twisty mountain roads and doing a lot of shifting back and forth between 1st and 2nd gear.

This time it was on the interstate at about 85/90 MPH...but I want to add... it was 107 degrees.

But, I have driven it like that before and the temp gauge never moved a bit.

I haven't went anywhere the last few days, but I need to take it down to the car wash and get all the grasshoppers off of the AC condenser....

I am thinking that might be a big contributor to the problem.

Posted Image

....I think that the transmission must be putting a heavy load on the cooling system; at least in my case.....

You are absolutely correct. I demonstrated that to my own satisfaction many years ago living in Colorado and climbing over the Continental Divide most summer weekends. After rigging up an OEM coolant temperature sensor in the transmission plumbing I was able to switch the dash temperature guage between transmission and engine coolant.

Sure enough, the transmission fluid temperature would start to climb first - followed soon after by a rise in the engine coolant.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

....I think that the transmission must be putting a heavy load on the cooling system; at least in my case.....

You are absolutely correct. I demonstrated that to my own satisfaction many years ago living in Colorado and climbing over the Continental Divide most summer weekends. After rigging up an OEM coolant temperature sensor in the transmission plumbing I was able to switch the dash temperature guage between transmission and engine coolant.

Sure enough, the transmission fluid temperature would start to climb first - followed soon after by a rise in the engine coolant.

I have a great big Hayden transmission cooler out in the shed.

Still brand new in the box.

I bought it several years ago for a race car and then never did use it.

Wonder if it would be worth the hassle of installing it and putting a temperature controlled valve on it so it would just work when needed?????

Posted Image

Jim, don't use the pressure wand at the car wash, it will bend the fins. Use a garden hose, a good soaking with maybe some "enzyme" type cleaners, then just the garden hose again to flush from both directions. It will be difficult, and you will get wet, especially your feet, but it's better than trashing your rad. Done that!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

....Wonder if it would be worth the hassle of installing it and putting a temperature controlled valve on it so it would just work when needed?????

I would not bother with the valve. You will have enough challenge locating a workable mounting location for the cooler.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Wonder if it would be worth the hassle of installing it and putting a temperature controlled valve on it so it would just work when needed?????

No need for a valve at all. I have auxillary coolers on my Fleetwood and my STS. I haven't installed one on my Deville yet.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

No need for a valve at all. I have auxiliary coolers on my Fleetwood and my STS. I haven't installed one on my Deville yet.

I was thinking more along the lines of taking the transmission lines off of the radiator... to eliminate heat load on the cooling system...and using the big Hayden as the "ONLY" cooler.

My concern was the fluid would be too cold in the wintertime and would not be up to operating temperature.

That's why I was thinking of a temperature controlled valve.

Posted Image

I was thinking more along the lines of taking the transmission lines off of the radiator... to eliminate heat load on the cooling system...and using the big Hayden as the "ONLY" cooler.

My concern was the fluid would be too cold in the wintertime and would not be up to operating temperature.

That's why I was thinking of a temperature controlled valve.

I wouldn't do that - In addition to the reasons you mention, you would have little cooling to the trans fluid if you were in stop & go traffic.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't attempt to re-engineer the trans. cooling system just because the temp gage rose just a little bit.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived