CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Repairs... Hmmm...

phillydude

Took the 94 STS in for an oil change at the dealership this morning. I mentioned that I had been hearing some strange noises (a squeal that sounded like a belt issue and an intermittant grinding-type sound) as well as smelling some strange smells (a rubber smell which would be consistant with a belt issue).

Diagnosis was that it's the AC compressor making the noise... causing drag on the belt and stressing the rest of the components tied into the belt (generator, etc.). They suggested replacing not only the compressor but also the generator, idler pulley, belt, etc "since we would already have everything apart anyway."

They also mentioned that my positive battery cable was "wicking up acid" and that it should be replaced. Total estimate for all repairs (including labor) was a tad over $1500. The battery cable was $120 of that amount. The generator was $250, and I think the compressor was about $600.... the other parts and labor made up the difference.

The mechanic said that "he's seen worse" situations like this one, and that while there was no guarantee that nothing would "fail" soon, he wouldn't say it "needed" to be fixed right now as long as I could put up with the noise from the engine compartment.

I trust this dealership's service department to be competent and honest. They were nice enough to remove the paint scrapes on my bumper with rubbing compound at no charge this morning while I had the car in for the oil change, and in all the time I've owned this car (since February 14th) it's never needed anything but the $35.00 oil changes the dealer offers.

Of course, I opted not to have the work done today, but I wanted to get the opinions of the board first. Diagnosis seem right to you all? Do I really need to replace the generator if it's not a direct cause of the problem (I think they were saying that it might be also be making noise as a result of the compressor issue, but there would be no way to know until the whole thing was reassembled)? How about the battery cable? Do you think I should get a second estimate from my local mechanic? I'm not inclined to take on any of this project myself due to time constraints and the impending cold and miserable weather here in the northeast... I don't have a garage, ya know.

Opinions and advice welcomed. Thanks in advance.

You can bypass AC compressor with a shorter belt and see if it helps. What the hell they want to replace the generator if the compressor is the culprit? :blink:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The belt is 74" long. Scotty gave a belt number of 6K739 I think it is 73.9" long. I know it is a tight fit so if you can find a 74" belt you would have less blood on your nuckles. :D You can also pick up rebuilt compressors on Ebay for about $110.00. Put the shorter belt on, shop around for a good rebuilt compressor and wait until spring to fix it. I would shop around for the other parts online, such as www.gmpartsdirect.com or other online parts dealers you get OEM parts at a better price, watch for shipping though.

You might want to check the belt tensioner, if its the original one chances are that it has failed and is not tensioning the belt properly. Also the (mis) alignment of the power steering pump can cause all sorts of problems with the rest of the accesories. Sounds like you have a bearing going bad somewhere.

A.J.

The belt is 74" long. Scotty gave a belt number of 6K739 I think it is 73.9" long. I know it is a tight fit so if you can find a 74" belt you would have less blood on your nuckles. :D You can also pick up rebuilt compressors on Ebay for about $110.00. Put the shorter belt on, shop around for a good rebuilt compressor and wait until spring to fix it. I would shop around for the other parts online, such as www.gmpartsdirect.com or other online parts dealers you get OEM parts at a better price, watch for shipping though.

If I am reading this correctly, the belt size I will need to bypass the compressor is 74"? Where would I go to purchase such a belt using the part number referenced? I can have my local mechanic put it on for me and wait until spring to deal with the rest of the repairs. Thanks!

You might want to check the belt tensioner, if its the original one, chances are that it has failed and is not tensioning the belt properly. Also the (mis) alignment of the power steering pump can cause all sorts of problems with the rest of the accessories. Sounds like you have a bearing going bad somewhere.

I just had an idler pulley fail, the stationery one, not the one on the tensioner.

It caused a noise and also wore the belt on one side and finally kicked the belt off.

The part was $ 24.00.

Regarding the AC compressor. There are generally two types of noise/failure.

1/ The compressor itself, no choice but to replace it.

NOTE: the noise will only be present when the AC is on.

2/ The bearing on the compressor pulley. It's not that difficult to replace. It can be done with the compressor still on the car. Should take a mechanic no more than 1-2 hours to replace. Bearing is around $ 10.00.

I've done that job myself.

NOTE: This noise will be present with the AC off and can diminish with the AC on.

I don't see any reason to replace the alternator if it is not making any noise.

If the bearing is noisy, then yes it will fail eventually.

I hope you get this sorted out.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

...Diagnosis was that it's the AC compressor making the noise... causing drag on the belt and stressing the rest of the components tied into the belt (generator, etc.). They suggested replacing not only the compressor but also the generator, idler pulley, belt, etc "since we would already have everything apart anyway."

They also mentioned that my positive battery cable was "wicking up acid" and that it should be replaced...The mechanic said that "he's seen worse" situations like this one, and that while there was no guarantee that nothing would "fail" soon...

It looks to me like dealer tries to ripp you off and still make you fill better "seen even worse". Nothing to do with the cable. Nothing to do with the generator. And let them check what acklac7 recommend.

Any auto parts place can supply the belt, I got mine at NAPA and the number was 060739. I think the 6 references the ribs and 739 (73.9")references the length. Have them measure it if your still not sure. My A/C compressor did the same thing as yours, noise and the smell of burning rubber. After I changed to the shorter belt my noises stopped.

Sounds like the A/C hub bearing needs to be replaced. Search this topic and you will find a number of posts. You can purchase the bearing alone for about $24.00 from a Cadillac dealer, or you can purchase the hub and bearing as a set for about $110.00.

Following your dealer's logic, I suggest you replace the entire engine as long as you already have the hood open!

:lol::lol::lol:

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Just for additional information I purchased a GM compressor for about $260 from www.gmotors.com.

To diagnose a noise such as you are having I would definately diagnose it by bypassing he compressor to make sure its bad. The part number given above is correct, and any parts place can cross reference to their own part number. I did that and my noise went away immediately I swore it was the power steering pump or the alternator making noise. If you are smelling plastic burning I believe its the compressor burning the clutch windings. He is full of crap that it does not need to be fixed right away, it goes fast so dont take any long trips until you either bypass it or fix it especially if you are smelling something burning. Here is a picture of my compressor after it melted down. I will tell you this FUN FACT, when the compressor clutch overheats bad enough it shorts out the windings blowing the AC Compressor fuse which in itself it bad enough, unforturately that fuse also controls the cooling fans and you begin overheating. If you can find someone to replace the compressor pulley that is the cheapest way to go unless you have already done to much damage from overheating the seal and clutch windings, I wish I did that but the problem was difficult to diagnose before the idea of bypassing the compressor came up.

Someone here replaced the battery cable and I heard it was not easy.

A good friend of mine owns General Sales Cadillac, if you want I can call on your behalf. Mike

post-3-1099699342.jpg

Archived