CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

02 cadillac deville rear suspension

i have a 02 deville and for some reason will sag when someone rides in the back seat or i put something in the trunk. i was told it has air ride suspension but others have told me it doesnt. i have seen other devilles around the area that have the same problem and it makes the car ride horrible any suggestions would be appreciated.

Look under the rear of the car so you can see the shocks.

Assuming you have the air ride, there will be a small black plastic air tube leading to each shock.

It'll be a few inches from the top, pointing towards the rear of the car.

I may be wrong but I think only the DHS and DTS had air ride. Since the coil and strut are seperate pieces you could always easily change out to new coils if you think yours are worn out.

I know with my DTS and its air ride, I had 2 people in the back with an additional 100lbs in the trunk and that was too much for the air ride to correct to level height. Even level ride wont bring the car up all the time.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

It's not "air ride". It's ELC (Electronic Level Control) and ALL Cadillacs have it and have had it since at least the '70's. The rear shocks have an air assist to level it out when under a load. There is a compressor that pumps up the air bladder at the base of the rear shocks. Either you have a leak in one of the bladders or air lines or the compressor is not working. Start by pulling the DTC's. You may find one related to the ELC system.

It's not "air ride". It's ELC (Electronic Level Control) and ALL Cadillacs have it and have had it since at least the '70's. The rear shocks have an air assist to level it out when under a load. There is a compressor that pumps up the air bladder at the base of the rear shocks. Either you have a leak in one of the bladders or air lines or the compressor is not working. Start by pulling the DTC's. You may find one related to the ELC system.

My 83 deville didnt have that option added. Also doesnt have tilt.

That is a rare car indeed. I don't think I have ever seen a Cadillac from that vintage that did not have tilt/telescopic steering and electronic level control.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

That is a rare car indeed. I don't think I have ever seen a Cadillac from that vintage that did not have tilt/telescopic steering and electronic level control.

LOL thats what Ive been told. Had the homelink, power windows and locks and seats but other than that they didnt spring for the other few conveniences. Oh well, they placed the steering column in a comfortable position and I have hydraulics on it so no need for level control.

I know it was offered because theres a light on the dash for it but no bulb in there. Also there was no air pump anywhere under the car and had the stronger springs in back not the softies to pair with air shocks.

Rare indeed

Archived