CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

bought gas at shell station found they had water in tanks

torch7618

all injectors are firing but 5 and 6 now after shell corporate said they would pay for it they say 5 and 6 is not caused from water in my gas. 1-4 had to be cleaned and 7-8 so now what is causing it

I have never had injector problems because I always use premium gas in my 1997 ETC. I have had some sputtering when I bought gas somewhere I don't normally fill up, probably because that station didn't sell much premium gas and more than acceptable moisture in the gas. But I never had a cylinder just go dead on me, and if any gas at all goes through an injector, running a tank of good premium fuel will usually clear the injectors because of the higher levels of anti-moisture and anti-fouling additives in premium fuel.

That aside, I think that Shell analysts found that there was insufficient evidence of moisture fouling in those two injectors to definitively say that they were fouled by moisture on that particular fill-up.

A definitive answer to your question would require physically examining the injectors in a laboratory environment. In other words, you might get some examples online of what might have caused the clogging, other than water in the gas on that particular fill-up, but the only way to really know is to examine them in the lab. If you want to do that, perhaps we can help you find someone to send them to.

Note that dealing with excessive water in the gas is more than just changing fully-clogged injectors that can't be cleared. You need to drain and flush the gas tank, fuel pump, and fuel lines, and change the fuel filter. If you don't do that, and you have enough water in the gas for droplets or a puddle of water at the bottom of the tank - which you can discern by siphoning from the bottom of the gas tank into a glass jar - then you will certainly have more problems. If there is no liquid or excessive emulsified water in your gas tank, you might succeed in a gas additive that absorbs water and burns it with the gas, but be sure an get one, such as Techroline, that is guaranteed safe for your car, particularly for the gasoline-immersed fuel pump motor.

To get your car back on the road now, you should just clean the gas tank or use an anti-moisture additive, replace the injectors and drive away. They are available on the Rock Auto web site for about $50 each in the AC/Delco brand. You can order them or get them locally; don't forget to add tax and shipping in your cost. I would ask Shell to let you buy them all now and get reimbursed for those that they agree to pay for.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

What does your Dealer or mechanic say is the likely cause?

What are they telling you the cost of the injectors is?

I suppose Shell will cover the cost of re-installing all 8 injectors since their gas caused all 8 to need examination?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I have never had injector problems because I always use premium gas in my 1997 ETC.

I doubt that has anything to do with it. I've never had an injector problem either and I always use regular gas.

I have never had injector problems because I always use premium gas in my 1997 ETC.

I doubt that has anything to do with it. I've never had an injector problem either and I always use regular gas.

Thanks for that information. Uh, perhaps it's my lead foot?

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

What does your Dealer or mechanic say is the likely cause?

What are they telling you the cost of the injectors is?

I suppose Shell will cover the cost of re-installing all 8 injectors since their gas caused all 8 to need examination?

The mechanic is telling me 5 and 6 are not firing and that he called GM and they told him if 5 and 6 are not firing it is a computer issue. I called my mechanic and he asked if I had bought any gas from the shell station up the road from him. Of course I did becuz I live with my father becuz he is ill and his oncologist is just down the road from this station. That station the tanker driver filled the gas containers with diesel fuel. My mechanic had many vehicles come in becuz they thought it was just water in the containers and then they found out it was water and diesel fuel. I guess I am screwed all the way around.

Barb

The important thing is to get your gas tank drained, your fuel lines flushed, and your injectors in good shape. Who should pay for this is between you and Shell, with possibly some ham-handed tank fillers on the side.

Would 5 and 6 be on the same coil? Or I suppose if a bad coil pack then there would be 3 not firing?

Barb -- There are several things to check before I would accept that the PCM was not directing injectors 5&6 to fire. I get that the Mechanic detects that 5 and 6 are not firing, and that he called (the local Cadillac Dealer? I don't think you CAN call GM and ask them) and without looking at the car they told him must be a computer problem. I don't think that is actual proper diagnosis. The service manual has a long list of what to check when the injectors are not firing, so that would be the proper approach.

if the fuel was diesel not water in the gas then I think you are likely to need a new engine, but regardless they would have to PROVE to me that the fuel did not directly or indirectly cause this issue, or they would need to explain it all to my lawyer.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived