CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I'm having some strange A/C trouble. Several years ago, when it was his, my dad had to replace the blower motor on my 1995 SLS. The car was less than 10 years old at the time, and the underhood cover or shroud was still flexible and he put it back together with everything being fine for quite a while. Last year, I started having noise problems with the blower when going around left turns, and I found that the blower was loose and big pieces of a cover that helped hold the motor in place were falling apart. It was made of a flexible rubbery material that would now easily break. After scooting it back together and using high-temp dryer duct tape, it held for a while. Today, I had the noise only much worse. A look under the hood found that this cover was just now nearly completely disintegrated. The tape had held up well, but the parts I had thought secure and taped to had given up. I can't provide a picture of it since there isn't enough of it left to even show. The blower had moved forward in the car nearly an inch and the fan itself was visible. What was left of this cover was actually even between the motor and where it needed to be, keeping it from easily moving back to the proper position. It's pretty clear that this part must be replaced. The motor itself (not the fan) has no rotational movement and only slight freedom to move side-to-side, but considerable freedom to move front-rear.

I've looked on Rock Auto, and I can't seem to find this part. I don't know what the official name of this shroud is, but there wasn't really anything on their list that sounded like it or looked like it in the pictures. I can't help but think that it would generally need replaced with any blower that was being changed now. It gets hot back there. Does anyone know which part I'm talking about so I can order one?

Unfortunately the cover is also not at all a fun job to replace either.

My 96 Deville has a few cracks that have patched to try to prevent further damage. For some reason though I thought the motor was secured to the inner part of he heater box and not the plastic.

Can anyone confirm this?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The blower motor screws anchor into the metal that is behind the plastic cover but if the cover completely disintegrates, the blower could be loose.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

oh ok. hate to mention rigging but what about some washers between the motor and the case?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Or just tightening the screws that hold the motor in place.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 3 weeks later...

I was right about the disintegration, but wrong about the noise. It turns out that the noise was the motor itself getting noisy on its way to dying. It's now dead. I've ordered the new one, and I went ahead and took the old one out. There's close to 1/3" of play between pushed all the way in and pulled until it stops. It will also rock several degrees side-to-side.

This is one of those examples where I think that GM did a terrible job cost-cutting in the car. It has 97,xxx miles and is about to get its third blower motor (the first one died electrically with burst capacitors, smoke from the vents, and a horrible smell). The ACDelco replacement ones aren't cheap to buy, either. Anybody have a secret to making them last or a source for better ones than the Delco?

It has 97,xxx miles and is about to get its third blower motor (the first one died electrically with burst capacitors, smoke from the vents, and a horrible smell). The ACDelco replacement ones aren't cheap to buy, either. Anybody have a secret to making them last or a source for better ones than the Delco?

Yes - two things: First, when you installed the replacement blower, did you install the foil/fiberglass heat shield? The heat shield used to come with the service blower motor but now it needs to be purchased separately. Second, keep the spark plug wires at least one inch away from the blower.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'm going to install the heat shield (motor is supposed to arrive tomorrow), and I'll to my best with regards to the plug wires. That said, they wouldn't have had anything to do with this one (which wore out mechanically), but I can see how they might have done something to the one that died with electrical problems.

Archived