CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Driver Shift Control

Bruce Nunnally

Driver Shift Control (DSC) - Lets the driver switch from automatic to a clutchless five-speed high-performance manual transmission. Once the driver moves the gearshift lever into DSC mode, a quick tap is all that is required for smooth, crisp upshifts or downshifts within a selected range. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) protects the powertrain when in DSC mode by monitoring vehicle speed, engine torque and the gear being used to determine if it should upshift automatically to prevent damage. It also has coast clutches to provide engine braking in all five gears.

I still wonder why the CTS did not get DSC as well for the V6. Can't add all that much cost can it, since the feature is built into the tranny?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The MINI Cooper has been offering the Steptronic transmission since the beginning of it's production. Its transmission can be changed from fully automatic to a clutchless manual shift trans at the flip of a switch. Very awesome to drive, especially with the DSC (dynamic stability control).

Don't tell me Cadillac went out and bought some MINIs and took them apart.....LOLOLOL!!! :D:lol:;)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I still wonder why the CTS did not get DSC as well for the V6. Can't add all that much cost can it, since the feature is built into the tranny?

Probably exclusivity. Same question for the StabiliTrak in 1997. The SLS and STS had the exact same CV-RSS suspension (with differing spring rates), so the only change would have been programatically. Perhaps in this case the system is so sensitive that the different spring rates would have affected the performance? I doubt it -- I just think they wanted to put the "premium" feature on the "premium" model.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived