CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

To tint or not to tint

quaid99

As long as its well done it should look great to go with as dark a tint as the law will allow. I was skeptical at first and then finally went ahead and did it and my car looked fantastic afterward. My car was seamist green. I figure it will look even better on a white car.

I've had two cars profesionally tinted, one an STS. The look is awsome, but nightime driving was difficult, especially backing up. Dark winter nights in Keswick.

Both my cars developed slow windows .... perhaps a combination of less clearance and sub zero temperatures for months on end in Ontario?

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Personaly, I am not a fan of tint (however I agree it does look good on some cars).

I believe one of my STS stongest traits is the how the light tan interior, and the gleaming Zebranno wood can be seen on a bright sunny day through the clear windows, and the glow of the interior seems to perfectly complement the Polo green paint. It is just a very classy look.

I think this same effect could be had with your white STS, however if you want to go for more "sporty" appearance, than the tint is probably you best bet.

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I have 2 '97 STS's. Mine is black with a 50% window tint. That is the maximum that Ohio allows, but for me it is just right. No problems on the darkest of nights.

My wife's car is White Diamond paint. I am having her windows tinted also. I've thought about the look on a white car, and have come to the conclusion that it will look good.

Tom

Tinting your windows adds life to your interior, it also helps with security, people can't see into your car as easily. It is difficult to see out sometimes late at night when backing up if there are no street lights, I just roll the window down.

In so. Florida during the summer it helps the AC keep the interior temps down too.

post-3-1097752282.jpg

sebring06RTP.jpg

I plan on getting mine tinted the darkest legally I can shortly. With my Deville having clear windows its like a fish bowl. I think the tint helps the AC work more efficiently and saves the interior. I am thinking about Llamar tint and smoked grey.

My '93 Dia. White STS (below) has the tint graduated from fairly dark in the back to only 30% on the front doors. That's all doors and windows and I have no vision or legality issues here in Northern Ca. No complaints whatsoever. In the HOT, sunny summers in the Sacramento valley where my company is, the tint makes a remarkable difference in both comfort and longevity of the interior. All my vehicles have a full tint job, even the trucks.

Besides, haven't you noticed the stares you get when you're in such a knockout car? I don't know about you all, but I hate feeling like a bug in a jar... :ph34r:B);)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I had my windows tinted as soon as I bought the car. Dark (as in illegally dark) brown (rather than grey, to better match the green exterior/tan interior).

Improved the look of the car like 250% IMO, YMMV. Plus it gives me peace of mind, knowing that no one can see who is in the car (or in the car WITH me).

I have a '01 STS and got my windows tinted at the TintShop here in rochester.

I got the darkest tint without it being illegal, I can see out at night and during the day with no problem at all. I did get the tint that will not turn purple in 3 to 4 years. Mine is guarnteed for the life of the car, cost a little extra but , was worth it.

Peace ByStorm

Llumar is what I have, lifetime warranty. Limo everywhere. I have used the same tint shop for years, all they use is llumar, I've never had a bad experience

Thanks, really glad to hear that! I just requested a brochure from them and they are sending a sample pack of tints for me to look over.....NICE!

I am a little concerned about my rear window (DEVILLE) with its curve as to how the tint will take to it.

I got mine done a few months ago perfessionally (See pic below), I went with 20% all the way around - dark enough so you can't see in the car, but good visibilty at night. They had just removed all the tint laws in GA, so I could have gone darker, but I wanted to be safe at night. I would totally recommend getting it done by a shop, that way if there are any problems they will take car of it. Plus it's not that expensive anyway (mine cost $175). My car is ALOT cooler temp inside after a day of sitting in the sun too.

Plus, in my opinion my car looks 1000% better, and I get alot more complimants on my caddy as well.

GO FOR IT!!!!

p6090007.jpg

P.S. They did my rear window in one peice, no bubbles....and as you can see the eldo rear window is VER curved.....most GOOD shops can do this with a heat gun, i'd stay away from the places that want to do it in several strips.

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I had Llumar on my car for almost 3 years and it always looked great. Never faded, never bubbled up anywhere, it still looked like new when I traded the car in. My tint was also done in whole pieces for each window. No strips.

• 2 weeks later...

TINTING IS DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED AS YOU CAN TELL FROM THE PREV POSTS

IT HAS GREAT BENEFITS AS I HAVE TO AGREE WITH THE OTHERS ABOUT IT PRESERVING THE INTERIOR(LEATHER) AND HELPS WITH THE COOLING OF THE VEHICLE ON HOT DAYS. I SPEND ABOUT A WEEK A YEAR VISITING FAMILY IN ARKANSAS IN THE SUMMER TIME(GREW UP THERE) AND THERE'S NOTHING LIKE SOUTHERN HUMIDITY. WE HAVE WHAT IS CALLED THE HEAT INDEX THERE IT'S LIKE THE OPPOSITE OF THE WINDCHILL FACTOR IN COLD CLIMATE STATES SO 100 DEGREES REALLY FEELS LIKE 115 DEGREES BECAUSE OF THE HUMIDITY. WITH THAT TYPE OF HEAT IMAGINE GETTING INTO A HOT CAR AND BURNING THE F*** OUT OF YOUR LEGS ON THAT HOT LEATHER.....OUCH BECAUSE OF NO TINT ON THE WINDOWS. I REALLY LOVE THE PRIVACY A GOOD TINT PROVIDES TOO. IT'S SO FUNNY TO SEE PEOPLE STARING AND ADMIRING THE CAR AND THE FACT THAT THEY CAN'T SEE YOU YET YOU SEE THEM SO CLEARLY.

Had my '98 STS tinted the day I picked it up. It was done in brown as the car is "moonstone" and the interior is neutral beige. In NY the laws regarding tint are so ridiculous that the legal tint is not much different from the factory tint. So my tint is illegal, also have it on licence plate covers.

In upstate NY we have these (###### point) stops, where they look for reasons to give you a ticket. I was called on it once but not ticketed. My son was though. I told him to stop wearing his baseball cap backwards when driving my car and approach the stop with the window all the way down!

Worst case scenario is you get a $50.00 ticket you can pay by mail. If you go to court they will tell you to remove it and bring written proof and they will cancel the fine.

My advice is pay the fine by mail. It just looks too good with the tint.

Pat

Archived