CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 seville keeps breaking whell studs

dmsfresh

well now that you mention it i guess i could have given more detail. but any how here goes right front wheel has a slight shimmy and seems to be worse at highway speed and even worse when i let off the gas new tires changed wheels .im thinking wheel bearing but not sure.also i here or feel not sure of the hearing a thump thump or something that feels like the tire has a lump but it is faint at low speeds

If you are breaking the studs that hold the wheels on, the air wrench that is used to mount the tires has a bad torque setting. Wheel studs usually are specified to be torqued to 95 lb-ft or 100 lb-ft, and much more will stretch them, which means that they will be prone to breaking.

The thump may be an out-of-round tire, or one that has a dynamic imbalance. Göran W's suggestion may fix it for you if that is the case, or you may see a lesser shimmy in the rear. See if your tire dealer has a road force balance (RFB) machine, and, if so, whether or not he has used it on your car, particularly the front tires.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived