CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

power seat control

klepard

I must begin by admitting that I am not a Cadillac owner. Rather I am a retired hobbyist who likes to upgrade older vehicles with more modern amenities. I am currently fabricating seat frames to put 2000 STS front power seats in an old restored and customized 1982 Chevy Suburban that belongs to my son. I am finished with the passenger seat and everything works as expected. However, I cannot get the driver's side seat to work. I am told that it is because the driver's seat has a module that needs to communicate with a module in the door due to the memory component of the seat. By bypassing the control switch (8 position) I can make the seat go through all of its functions. I just can't get it work through the switch. My question is....is there a compatible power switch seat (8 position) made for a non-memory driver's side switch....or does it not exist? I wonder if anyone out there knows of a non memory control unit that may be interchangeable from another model that would work for me. Sorry to invade your forum as a non Cadillac owner, but I have spent hours trying to get this seat to work with no success to date.

I know nothing about the wiring of 2000 STS seats...

But just off the top of my head..

If you look under both seats...

Would it be possible to remove or bypass the module and wire the underside of the seat to be just like the other one??

If so.. that would eliminate the memory function and the requirement for communication with the rest of the car.

Posted Image

If I recall you may need to get a seat harness out of a non memory seat. I dont know if you can bypass the memory module with your current harness.

With the non memory harness you just plug the 4 motor plugs into the harness and plug the switch plug into the seat harness. Must see pics as I have a 90 scottsdale convertible. and have seatbelt issues so I have installed Chevrolet trailblazer seats from a 2003 but am cramped too close to the steering wheel with these new seats

post-12985-129895921016_thumb.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I know nothing about the wiring of 2000 STS seats...

But just off the top of my head..

If you look under both seats...

Would it be possible to remove or bypass the module and wire the underside of the seat to be just like the other one??

If so.. that would eliminate the memory function and the requirement for communication with the rest of the car.

Hi Texas Jim. That's what I thought and I spent hours tracking wires and determining what function they served. I took the passenger seat apart and followed those wires to the switch and cross referenced them to the driver's side seat. If I provide a 12 volt source to the wires (after bypassing the module) I can make the seat do everything that it is supposed to. However the driver's side switch is a totally different animal than the passenger side switch. The wires are much smaller (higher guage)...there is no ground connection...and there is no way that I can get it to work. That is why I am trying to find a non memory switch, if such a thing exists and I may have to find the appropriate wiring harness as well. Thanks again for responding. Ken

If I recall you may need to get a seat harness out of a non memory seat. I dont know if you can bypass the memory module with your current harness.

With the non memory harness you just plug the 4 motor plugs into the harness and plug the switch plug into the seat harness. Must see pics as I have a 90 scottsdale convertible. and have seatbelt issues so I have installed Chevrolet trailblazer seats from a 2003 but am cramped too close to the steering wheel with these new seats

Hi rockfangd. Thanks for responding. I agree with you in that I have to find a non memory power seat control and the matching wire harness. However, I don't know if such a thing exists as I really don't know much about Cadillac accessories. I have been looking in wrecking yards all over Ontario, without any luck. I don't know if there are any other GM vehicles that use the same 8 way control switch that is used in the Cadillac. Maybe if the same switch was used in a car that was not as luxurious as the Cadillac I would have better luck finding it. However, I have not been able to find the answer to that question. That is why I am trying to make contact with someone through this forum who has more knowledge and experience than I do with these things. I really appreciate the help people have already given me. Ken

Maybe a wiring DWG would help.

It looks like terminal "L" of the switch should be grounded. Are you missing that ground?

2000_Seville_Motor_Switch.gif

Dunno if you need it, but here's some memory module stuff . . . .

2000_Seville_MM.gif

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

they make many cadillacs without memory seating. It is optional, therefore finding a harness without memory should be easier than a memory setup

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

It looks like terminal "L" of the switch should be grounded. Are you missing that ground?

2000_Seville_MM.gif

Regards,

Warren

Thank you Warren. I am missing the ground going to terminal 'L'. Wouldn't it be great if that was the solution!!! I am committed to another job until early next week, but I can't wait to try this suggestion. I really appreciate the wiring diagram. I will print those and take them out to the shop with me. Thank you, Ken

they make many cadillacs without memory seating. It is optional, therefore finding a harness without memory should be easier than a memory setup

Thanks. That is what I hoped to hear. I am going to try the 'grounding' tip that I got from WarrenJ first. If that works that will solve my problems as cheaply as possible. If not, then I will have to start searching for a non memory seat control and wiring harness. Thanks again, Ken

2000_Seville_MM.gif

Regards,

Warren

Thank you Warren. I am missing the ground going to terminal 'L'. Wouldn't it be great if that was the solution!!! I am committed to another job until early next week, but I can't wait to try this suggestion. I really appreciate the wiring diagram. I will print those and take them out to the shop with me. Thank you, Ken

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I hooked up a ground wire to the 'L' terminal and started testing the switch to see whether, or not, it would work. It worked!!!! Right now I can move the seat forward and backward, the front of the seat will go up and down and the back of the seat will go up. I still have to sort out the rest as the wire colour codes from the switch don't match those under the seat so I have to go through those by trail and error and the process of elimination. Thank you again Warren. You have provided me with some success after so many hours of me trying to figure out how to by-pass that module. Ken

Archived