CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2011 DTS Platinum

BUICK11

We have a 2001 DTS that is about to go out of warranty (GM Major Guard) Back in 2001 the DTS was the performance full size Sedan. They had a Deville a DHS and the DTS. The lower end of the Northstar was sealed up using new procedures. So their are no leaks. Cooling systen serviced a couple of times. In essance it is a beauty

We have enjoyed the 2001 DTS for it'a ride and performance as well as its good gas mileage. The car runs fine on regular gas.

While gas is not a issue to me, my wife has this thing about burning Premium fuel. I spoke to some Cadillac people that said the 2011 Platinum DTS will run fine on regular fuel BUT would do better on Premium. Our 2001 DTS has 62k ON IT AND IS White Diamond. All extra equipment except the Night Vision. Was wondering thoughts on what it may be worth on a trade (Do not want the hassle of selling outright). Garage kept no dents or dings new Michelin tires Brake pads replaced.

Thanks for comments.

We have a 2001 DTS that is about to go out of warranty (GM Major Guard) Back in 2001 the DTS was the performance full size Sedan. They had a Deville a DHS and the DTS. The lower end of the Northstar was sealed up using new procedures. So their are no leaks. Cooling systen serviced a couple of times. In essance it is a beauty

We have enjoyed the 2001 DTS for it'a ride and performance as well as its good gas mileage. The car runs fine on regular gas.

While gas is not a issue to me, my wife has this thing about burning Premium fuel. I spoke to some Cadillac people that said the 2011 Platinum DTS will run fine on regular fuel BUT would do better on Premium. Our 2001 DTS has 62k ON IT AND IS White Diamond. All extra equipment except the Night Vision. Was wondering thoughts on what it may be worth on a trade (Do not want the hassle of selling outright). Garage kept no dents or dings new Michelin tires Brake pads replaced.

Thanks for comments.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe starting in 2000 all Cadillacs COULD be used on regular or premium. I know my 02 STS could.

According to NADA in this region it values at around $7,700 for clean trade-in and over $10,000 for retail.

Do you have that odd 4" navigation on yours? I had a 2000 DTS and I hated that navigation. It was a pain just to turn the volume up.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

Fortunately no navigation. Yes they say regular fuel from 2000 on up but I went to the Cadillac website and use the build your own feature. Just for the fun of it I clicked on, on line help and asked them question about fuel requirements and they told me regular is acceptable but Premium would be better. Honestly I really like the 2001 But am concerned about what will happen when Major Guard expires. Lower end is sealed up But if a head gasket were to go the car would be worth very little.

As info we have a 2008 STS with the newer navagation and it is great! Also like the V-6

Appreciate your comments!

The 2011 PLATINUM is the PERFORMANCE version...

It is a VIN 9 engine as is your current DTS.

I have a 2006 with the VIN 9.

I can tell the difference when I run regular and premium.

I use premium in it 100% of the time now.

The few tanks of regular I ran thru it was 3 or 4 years ago.

It also gets a little bit better mileage on Premium... which offsets the extra cost of the Premium.

Just my opinion...since I own a newer VIN 9. :)

Posted Image

With my STS, I knew you could run regular in it, but I figured with that high of compression it would be better just use premium. But it definitely does make a difference in mileage.

-Dusty-

With my STS, I knew you could run regular in it, but I figured with that high of compression it would be better just use premium.

But it definitely does make a difference in mileage.

Right...and the difference will offset the extra cost of Premium "PLUS" the car will run better...or at least "MINE" does. :)

Posted Image

Thanks for the advice. I have no problem with Premium fuel. My Supercharged Riviera lives on a diet of Sunoco Fuel. In fact in the owners manual is a warning not to use regular unless it is a emergency situation. If we can locate a Platinum DTS. The wife can put regular in it and I will use Sunoco Ultra when I drive it. Since I am the one that most often gases up our cars that should not be a problem.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I have no problem with Premium fuel. My Supercharged Riviera lives on a diet of Sunoco Fuel. In fact in the owners manual is a warning not to use regular unless it is a emergency situation.

A supercharged engine is a whole different animal. I believe you MUST run premium. No if's, and's or but's.

The issue of fuel cost for different octane ratings compared to MPG is easy enough to resolve. It just requires some detailed record keeping for a period of time.

If (for example) the price of 93 octane is 7% greater than the price of 87 octane, you will need to see a 7% increase in average MPG for the price difference to be a push.

The seat-of-the-pants dynonometer is more complicated (subjective).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The issue of fuel cost for different octane ratings compared to MPG is easy enough to resolve. It just requires some detailed record keeping for a period of time.

If (for example) the price of 93 octane is 7% greater than the price of 87 octane, you will need to see a 7% increase in average MPG for the price difference to be a push.

Speaking for MY CAR only and for MY driving style...

It is really close to a "PUSH" on the Regular vs Premium issue.

I have tried it quite a few times in mine when on trips where driving would be more consistent than driving in town.

Regular is usually about 7 to 10% cheaper than Premium.

I lose about 7 to 8% in mileage.

THAT part is fact...for MY CAR

Someone with a different driving style...may see more or less of a difference than I do.

I "FEEL" like I lose a good bit in performance.

The car seems to not accelerate quick as quick at highway speeds when passing another car at WOT.

That part is subjective.

One other FACT...the 2006 and newer Owners Manual "RECOMMENDS" that Premium be used.

I figure if they recommend it ... that's good enough for me. :) :)

Posted Image

I have tried it quite a few times in mine when on trips where driving would be more consistent than driving in town.

Regular is usually about 7 to 10% cheaper than Premium.

I lose about 7 to 8% in mileage.

THAT part is fact...for MY CAR

Someone with a different driving style...may see more or less of a difference than I do.

I "FEEL" like I lose a good bit in performance.

The car seems to not accelerate quick as quick at highway speeds when passing another car at WOT.

That part is subjective.

One other FACT...the 2006 and newer Owners Manual "RECOMMENDS" that Premium be used.

You drive your car pretty hard too, right? ;)

I wonder if it is less of a difference if the car was driven very easy. I would test that, but I don't have the Northstar that can use either fuels.

-Dusty-

....I would test that, but I don't have the Northstar that can use either fuels.

All Northstars have "knock" sensors that signal the PCM to adjust ignition timing as required. You can safely use whatever octane gasoline you can purchase from your favorite local retail source.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

....I would test that, but I don't have the Northstar that can use either fuels.

All Northstars have "knock" sensors that signal the PCM to adjust ignition timing as required. You can safely use whatever octane gasoline you can purchase from your favorite local retail source.

What JimD said.

The knock sensors will compensate for different octane grades.

If it wasn't that way... I would never had experimented with regular.

My owners manual is pretty adamant about using premium in it.

Posted Image

You drive your car pretty hard too, right? ;)

I wonder if it is less of a difference if the car was driven very easy.

I would test that, but I don't have the Northstar that can use either fuels.

LOL...I am not skeered of mashing the right hand pedal... LOL

When my Brother called me Wednesday morning about my Mom having a stroke...

I made the 250 miles to the hospital in a flat 3 hours ... and that included 2 "PIT STOPS" for Darling Wife.

Posted Image

Sorry about your Mom,Jim hope everything works out...that travelling is GOOD timing!!

Mom is doing pretty good..

Her speech is about back to normal.

At first she couldn't make any words at all... it was just GIBBERISH...

She will be starting a week or two of Physical Therapy today..

Made the same 250 mile trip back home today...it took FOUR HOURS...not three... :) :)

Posted Image

Archived