CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The wife think's that I'm outta my mind the way I carry on about Cadillac's. She just doesn't understand my love for them,even tho she has one as do I. What in the world am I gonna do...Try as I may I continue on about the Grandeur of the Northstar System,but she just goes "ya what ever"..Scott.. I don't care...for all of you folks that have respective others that just don't care LOVE YOUR NORTHSTAR..I DO

look1-1-1.jpg

My Darling Wife knows and understands that it is a very nice car. :) :)

That's about it.. :(

I like talking about it...but she doesn't really care.

From her point of view...........

After all...there are a lot of nice cars out there....one is about as good as another.

But....I "DO" love my NorthStar...It sings to me... :) :)

Posted Image

Jim, You seem like you have a very nice life deep in the heart of Texas,Cadillacs must be very well received in those parts,for example, all of the cool accessories available as opposed to canada keep onlovin it as do I. I would LOVE to come to Texas some time.

look1-1-1.jpg

Jim, You seem like you have a very nice life deep in the heart of Texas,

Cadillacs must be very well received in those parts,for example, all of the cool accessories available as opposed to canada keep onlovin it as do I.

I would LOVE to come to Texas some time.

People down here love big cars and big pickup trucks... :) :)

Unlike in the NW part of the country where all the tree huggers are. :(

Of course there are a lot of small cars here too, but you see a lot more "BIG" cars in Texas than just about anywhere else in the USA. :hatsoff:

I love Texas, and if you ever do get to come down this way...be sure to let me know.

We can meet up for a good ol' Texas steak, :)

Heck...I may even give you a guided tour of some of the good places to go see.

I am retired now... so I can do what I want to...when I want to...:yupi3ti:

Posted Image

I have the solution

You see, I believe this (this I believe is on a Vintage ad of Cadillac's), but I feel the same way...

Once you have driven a Cadillac, no other motorcar will do.....

The Cadillac is costing you a lot in maintenance and fuel costs, to afford her the priviledge of the safety, performance and comfort that in my opinion is unparalled in the market today unless you want to spend big money,

I would do a test, I would DISABLE the Cadillac for a month, and rent an econo-box for a month for her, say a Ford Focus, Ford Edge, Chevy Aveo, etc, etc, etc. I would NOT let her drive MY Cadillac and see what happens, if you don't hear any FLACK about the performance, fuel econ, comfort, you can immediately buy once of those econo boxes and cut your costs for fuel and maintenance buy purchasing a relatively new econo box.... I think she will then understand what you are talking about. Being spoiled and priviledged can sometimes obscure people's understanding of things.

Something tells me she won't last the month without letting her drive the NORTHSTAR again.... People can get spoiled until the know the real deal.. STICK TO YOUR GUNS

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qyYq4_3fw2s

The problem that I have with this is that, I would not want to risk my family's lives by putting them in an econo box, but I have a feeling you won't have to make that choice once she feels the difference between the Northstar and an econo box.

Our Monte Carlo is a GM car and it has that distinctive GM feel, but it is not a Cadillac, it just does NOT perform.....so I KNOW that giving her an econo box will be a shock to her system...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If doing what Mike suggested...I would go one step farther...

When renting the econo box...do not get it from Hertz or Avis...

Look around for a place that has fairly late model USED CARS that they rent out.

Get her one of "THOSE" to drive for a while...

"THEN" she would appreciate the Cadillac a little more...:yupi3ti:

Personally, I would rather drive an older Cadillac than a brand new econo box POS...:P

Posted Image

On that same note...

Darling Wife does not drive any more...but maybe I need to do the same thing (rent an older POS econo box) and drive it 2 or 3 weeks....so that she appreciates what "WE" have a little better.

But to her credit...she "DID" tell me to get a new "V" if I wanted one...:yupi3ti: :yupi3ti:

Posted Image

I got my wife trained LOL. We have driven rental cars and test drove other cars but she knows the difference. She says things that I feel too, "it just feels cheap".

I loved my cars previous to my caddys but once I went caddy, I cant go back.

A real car person notices little things like the dashboard being padded. Sit in a honda or cheap ford etc and see an all plastic dashboard. Along with plastic trim all over the inside. Just the little things like padded materials give alot more luxury and luxury feel to a car. And Ive got my wife to notice those things. If everything is plastic it just feels "cheap".

She currently has a 05 Buick Rainier, but I allowed this because its a luxury GM and has all the bells and whistles a caddy has. Leather and wood grain steering wheel along with all the other luxurys. Im not a fan of the SRX, we did test drive one but Im not a fan at all. I believe they are german cars with cadillac logos, like the old catera and CTS. She even drove BMWs and she loves the look but sitting inside the seats are hard, the trim is plastic and the gauges are plain orange. That is just not american luxury!

If your wife doesnt appreciate her caddy, definately go test drive other cars.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

We have had Top Of The Line Cadillac's in our garage for over 30 years. :)

Maybe that's the problem. :) :)

She really don't have anything to compare what we drive to what OTHER PEOPLE drive.

I don't think she ever really thinks about it...

She just takes it all from granted. :) :)

Triple Zone climate control...power seats, A/C seats for the summer, heated seats for the winter with massaging lumbar for a nice back rub when you want one, XM radio, On Star, power moon roof, NAV system and so on and so on.

Oh well...nothing I can really do about it, except just keep a nice one in the garage... :yupi3ti:

Posted Image

I made my mistake in 1991 when I purchased a 1991 Nissan 240SX deathtrap.

I was looking at 84 and 85 Eldorado's at the time, but I didnt have any place to work on them, so I bought the new Nissan, what a mistake,

in 3 years I had 3 accidents one of which was serious

it was a white knuckle car in the rain and it was a matter of time before you DID get into an accident

parts fell off regularly

the drivers seat wore out

the door pad got a dent in it from where my arm rested

NEVER again, coincidently, I also owned a 91 Seville!, DAY AND NIGHT difference.....

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I made my mistake in 1991 when I purchased a 1991 Nissan 240SX deathtrap.

I was looking at 84 and 85 Eldorado's at the time, but I didnt have any place to work on them, so I bought the new Nissan, what a mistake,

in 3 years I had 3 accidents one of which was serious

it was a white knuckle car in the rain and it was a matter of time before you DID get into an accident

parts fell off regularly

the drivers seat wore out

the door pad got a dent in it from where my arm rested

NEVER again, coincidently, I also owned a 91 Seville!, DAY AND NIGHT difference.....

I had a few other cars in the past 30+ years that I have driven Cadillacs.

The only 2 that I kept for any length was a 93 Taurus that I put almost 200,000 on and a 2002 Taurus that I traded the 93 Taurus for.

Put almost a 100,000 on it and sold it to my next door neighbor in 2006 for his daughter to drive to college.

She is still driving it and it has been an excellent car for her.

But neither one of the Fords "FIT" me.

They made my back hurt and the 2002 made my knees hurt really bad.

I still had the 84 Fleetwood Brougham deElegence even when I had the 2 Taurus's. :) :)

But it had almost 250,000 on it and with the 4.1 engine...I no longer trusted it to make 100mph trips to California and back.

As long as I can afford it...I plan to have another Cadillac when I need to get rid of this one.

Tentative plans are to get a 2010 or 2011 DTS Platinum Edition this fall when the 2012's come out.

I wish I could still work on them like I used to do...and I would keep this one forever.

But I am getting so old and stiff that I can no longer work on them like i did in my younger days.

I need one that I can just jump in it and "GO" and not have to worry about working on it when I get back home. :)

I can (and do) do the routine stuff...but anything major...someone else has to do it...DARN IT...I hate someone else working on my car.

Posted Image

Jim, did you get the autographed V brochure? I am not sure if I saw that you got it

Jim, did you get the autographed V brochure? I am not sure if I saw that you got it

Yes I did get it.

Thank you very much.

It is in my desk drawer right now.. :hatsoff:

I thought I had already told you I got it...

Anyway...thanks again.

I plan on keeping it forever also...just like some of the Cadillacs I have had.

I bought a 1980 Sedan De Ville and kept it for 21 years...:yupi3ti:

That was the best car I have ever owned in my life.

Posted Image

Oh good, I am glad, you may have told me already, but I am getting old, :lol:

Oh, don't get me wrong, CoupeDTS she loves and appreciates her Cadillac, she just gets annoyed listening to me go on and about them and explaining things over and over...when she was side swiped (by a cube van) in Nov. her first rental was a dodge caliber,and was returned almost right away,since it just wasn't gonna happen, not for two or three weeks anyway. Next was an Eddie Bauer ed. Exploder, that she liked,followed by a Kia Forte (truly loathed)...After that fleet of rentals and her 2002 STS coming home she new Cadillacs will not be surpassed! :yupi3ti:

look1-1-1.jpg

Well Jim, I have this belief there has to be people like you to buy these cars new and pay that big ticket price so that people like me can afford to buy it 5+ years later :D Its cool. My dads the same way. He started getting old and just didnt want to worry about ANYTHING on the car anymore but oil changes so he buys new every 3 years when the warranty runs out. Thats understandable. But somebody has to buy them new :)

Another "luxury" feel in a cadillac is the noise level! So many cars have thin doors with no sound dampening in them and you hear so much road noise its rediculous. The owner doesnt even notice it because they dont know any better. Cadillacs actually come with thicker glass and sound dampening everywhere. In my 2000 I remember seeing it in the fender when the door was open. In my 83 theres padding in the sail panels and back arm rests, its everywhere. I had a lumina long ago and the sound deadining was spotty, only on the back of the back seat but not under it etc. You get in them cheap made plastic cars and you hear road noise, the cheap shocks rattling and all kinds of other noises.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Archived