CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

radiator question

bstep

I own a 01 Cadi Seville SLS And I may need to replace my radiator . I'm torn between the AC Delco radiator and the Aftermarket radiator. Delco radiators have had it share of problems in the past with this model in the past . Which one should I choose ? If I choose a Aftermarket Radiator then which one is the best one? And is the GM Stop leak tabs safe for my car? Thanks Guys.

There is no problem with an AC DELCO radiator, they last a certain amount of time, and stress cracks develop from heat/cool cycling, cold weather and pressure and they eventually leak. That happens with ALL vehicles today. I actually have seen an Infinity radiator spontaineously BLOW a radiator side tank sitting idling in my driveway. Actually Kevin (KHE) has noticed that its the input side of the radiator that take the most abuse and the right tank tends to go bad first. He notes that replacing the right tank and flushing it is all that is necessary.

That said, I have used aftermarket radiators if only due to price.

If you can afford an AC DELCO and are not on unemployment, unemployed, poor, cheap, destitute, I'd use an AC DELCO as they are high quality and designed for your car

But you can use an aftermarket radiator just as well

Go to www.rockauto.com and see the SPECTRA radiator. GM stopped using the cooling supplement tablets but I would keep using them to stop nuiscence leaks

Check to see if you have an OIL cooler before you buy your radiator, you DO have a tranny cooler on the LEFT side but check the RIGHT side tank for two tubes indicating that you have an oil cooler

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yep you cant go wrong with delco but I have used the aftermarket radiators from ebay on my 96 fleetwood and we just put one in my buddys 99 Deville. They are around $60-$70 shipped which is super cheap compared to $200+ at parts stores and they are excellent quality! They will even come with the correct fittings if needed.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

The radiators and the heater cores are among few aftermarket parts I would not mind to use because they are much cheaper than OEM, are all aluminum and many of them are quality parts.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

i owned 6 caddys and had to replace many rads,the last rad i got was from napa which was 160 and it was a aftermarket one which works fine,i bought cheap ones also around 100 that would leak near the plastic the sevice manual shows u how to fix them,so with that said i would spend the extra money and get a good one,u will have less problems,my 95 seville has the original rad in it and is still working fine, good luck

Archived