CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A TWIN TURBO NORTHSTAR!!

eldoman95

Am I actually reading this right???

You guys are advocating using a 3500rpm stall speed converter in your Cadillac?

hehehe.... Come ON....

I can't imagine anything sillier than seeing your car Roaring up to 3500rpm before it starts to move away from a stoplight Every Time you come to a stop :)

You just can't be serious....

When I was young & goofy (don't mean to cast any aspersions towards anybody here ;) ) I had a 3500 stall converter in a big block Nova, after awhile even That looked stupid "roaring before rolling", but my Caddy???

Somebody's got to upload a video of this car... :D:unsure:

Ok guys, I am not an expert on torque converters but I can do a NORMAL take off and the tack doesn't go over 2,000 before it shifts into 2nd. It will flash from a stop up to about 2800 if I floor it. When my wife drives it she feels no difference than when it was stock because she never gets on it. If it can pass the wife test, it certainly has no driveability problems.

Even with a 3500 stall converter you can still drive it normal. It may slip a little more but you don't have to wind it up to 3500 RPM before it will move from a stop. It just dosen't convert 100% until 3500 if I understand it correctly.

If I turn off traction control and start in 2nd gear, I can actually chirp the tires for a split second until the converter hooks up(about 2800) then it bogs like hell until it gets higher in the power band so I know the higher stall is working.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Am I actually reading this right???

You guys are advocating using a 3500rpm stall speed converter in your Cadillac?

hehehe.... Come ON....

I can't imagine anything sillier than seeing your car Roaring up to 3500rpm before it starts to move away from a stoplight Every Time you come to a stop :)

You just can't be serious....

When I was young & goofy (don't mean to cast any aspersions towards anybody here ;) ) I had a 3500 stall converter in a big block Nova, after awhile even That looked stupid "roaring before rolling", but my Caddy???

Somebody's got to upload a video of this car... :D:unsure:

We/I am advocating nothing. Someone asked a question we offered an answer based on our experience, period.

The car doesn't need to be roared to leave from a light. Torque converter technology has come a long way since you bought the converter for your big block Nova. The torque the motor can generate at lower RPM's has a big impact on where a torque converter will flash.

For instance a 4.3 torque converter for a S10/15 truck when used behind a big block or healthy small block will flash to about 2400 RPM.

As Mark 99STS said, you can take off normally with an RPM not much higher than a stock converter.

Dennis

"We/I am advocating nothing. Someone asked a question we offered an answer based on our experience, period.

The car doesn't need to be roared to leave from a light. Torque converter technology has come a long way since you bought the converter for your big block Nova. The torque the motor can generate at lower RPM's has a big impact on where a torque converter will flash.

For instance a 4.3 torque converter for a S10/15 truck when used behind a big block or healthy small block will flash to about 2400 RPM.

As Mark 99STS said, you can take off normally with an RPM not much higher than a stock converter. "

"Ditto"

Thank you

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

• 7 years later...

Turok Maktoh. built in 2010 is currently a 508hp 99 cadillac eldorado ETC. Twin turbo kit easy to find and after a decent build easily accepted turbos this winter. had custom headers built that excepted the turbos as well. other than that the computer reprogram was the only issue. Foung a auto techy hiding at a body shop that did it reasonably. did dump 7-8,000 into it but it is a 1 of a kind car that no one is usually educated enough to tackle. I learned a lot as i went throught it as well. throw a like and view picks on facebook TM Racing-Turok Maktoh............................................i made a ground effect mold for entire body and currently installing. Will produce more for the eldorados and hit Ebay with them by Christmas 2012

Glad to hear about your northstar turbo project; please let us know as you progress. Is the 508hp a dyno result or projection after completion?

Nice custom art on the engine compartment (pre-turbo):

217217_140615596010716_124835574255385_285309_7547759_n.jpg

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived