CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Good performance tire in stock size???

wake

Ok, it's time for new tires for the ETC... One problem I'm having is trying to find a good stiff sidewalled tire in the stock 225/60/16 size... Currently I'm running GY GAs on the front and GY American Eagle (Walmart model) on the rear... The AEs seem to be stiffer than the GAs so I might try those on the front if I don't find something better...

Although I've been driving a caddy now for about 3 years, I still can't slowdown enough around to corners to avoid rolling the sidewalls under... Both my fronts look like they've been curbed... :lol:

Jumping between my Caddy and my Corvette the roles are reversing... I'm going slower around the corners in the Vette and too fast around the corners in the Caddy... :lol:

So you hard drivers out there, enlighten me...

try Dunlop SP5000 Z -rated 225/60 16...I've used them and I can testify to their cornering and high performance ability. my problem with them is tread life. they only last one year.

try tire rack see if they have it in yokahama i love those tires on my vette

I put a set of Yokohama AVID Touring tires on my 93 Deville (215-65/15)

between that and the new Struts and Springs (Monroe) I could really take turns that made the wife REALLY nervous !!! :o

Click here for the tires @ Tirerack.com

BTW: The stock tires for it were 205-70/15

I use Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 225/60 on my 93 STS.

I was very happy with my first set, which lasted 65,000 miles. I just put on a new set yesterday, my current price was $125 ea. + mount and balance at Big O.

The STS is a moderately heavy car with strong road handling characteristics, so I wanted a tire to compliment it. The tire needed to perform and look good.

This tire holds corners very well, dry traction is exceptional, wet traction has always been excellent, I don't drive in snow normally so I don't know how it handles it, but should be pretty good. The tire is Z rated for those occasional high speed excursions.

My driving is mostly freeway, with a good mixture of foothill and mountain highways. This tire has always handled the road in a solid, and very predictable manner.

I can easily recommend these tires to other performance minded Cadillac owners.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Another recommendations for the Pilots. I have them, in H rating. I'm on my second set now. Averaging about 40,000 miles per set. 65,000 miles is super for the Z rated tires! I'm probably going to put ANOTHER set of Pilots on next year, when these finally expire.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I couldn't afford the Michelins the last time around on tires for my Eldorado, so I tried these BFG Traction T/A's. I have to say, I am very impressed with them, especially for the price! I think they are like $86 at The Tire Rack... :o

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...raction+T%2FA+V

They aren't quite as stiff a sidewall as the Z-rated tires I replaced, but very close. The traction and cornering are excellent, as I drive pretty agressively and have tested them both! B) In WI I am looking for wet/snow traction as well, so that was another important factor in the decision. Have had them on for aprox. 12K mi. now, and don't notice any significant wear at all yet.

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

You might want to check out Cooper's H rated Lifeliner Touring SLE tire. I'm very impressed with the set I just bought.(3000 miles ago) Check their specs against the others. I paid $87 per tire.

I called corporate, and that tire is made in a US plant. FWIW.

Kent

I've put a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE 950 H rated on my ETC. The handling imporoved dramaticaly over the stock Badyears!

I considered the Michelins, but was confused by the mixed ratings regarding tread wear. The Potenza's have a dual compound rubber, as the tread wears it exposes a different compound rubber, allegedly giving better traction throughout the life of the tire. We'll see?

So far I have been pleased with the ride, noise level, and handling.

Steve

Previously had Cooper lifeliner Classic II (put on by the dealer) which I wasn't impressed with as the tread didn't wear well and coudln't match the performance of the car. This time I chose the Michelin Pilot V4 XGTs and do they perform well. I have driven them in snow as well and they are fine as I am typically never in a hurry in the white stuff.

A lot of OEs use different brands on different lines of cars. Some BMWs and Mercedes use Michelin Pilots. I guess some also use Continentals. Michelin was the OE tire on many Cadillacs as well (as were the Badyear Eagles).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I've got about 1000 miles on my new Kuhmo Ecsta 712's in size 255-50-17 and think they are great. Much stiffer sidewall over the stock Goodyear's, and a world of difference in traction. Highly recommended and reasonably priced.

Archived