CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1991 Seville Starter Motor

AndyUK1

I have an intermitent problem on my 1991 Seville (4.9L).

Yesterday when I turned the key all I got was a click,nothing else. I tried a second time and the car started perfectly. This has happened maybe 4 times over the past year,but so far it has caused no problems as it always turned the engine over on the second attempt.

The battery is fine,only about 6 months old and starts easily in the winter snow.

Is the problem likely to be the starter motor or solenoid and is it relatively easy to check which one is at fault?

A garage will be doing any repairs so any idea how long it should take to change a solenoid or starter??

Thanks

First I would not assume that because the battery is six months old that it is good, I would have it load tested.

Then I would clean the battery connections and make sure they are tight, then clean and tighten all grounds, especially the one near the starter

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

How old is the starter (years/miles)? The connections might be bad, as BBF said. The starter solenoid may be failing as well. I replaced three starters on my Seville, and never got rid of that click-no start issue... A new starter may come with bad solenoid, armature too.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

How old is the starter (years/miles)? The connections might be bad, as BBF said. The starter solenoid may be failing as well. I replaced three starters on my Seville, and never got rid of that click-no start issue... A new starter may come with bad solenoid, armature too.

I will get the battery load tested and check all connections are o.k.

The car has done 96000 miles-I've had it 7 years and done about 30000 miles on it and I've never touched the starter motor since I've had it,so I know the starter is at least 7 years old.

If the battery and connections are all o.k should I then replace the starter, the solenoid or both?? How long should it take to change a starter??

adallak,maybe a stupid question, but when you replaced starters three times did you not replace solenoid at same time or were the starter and solenoid both faulty on each occasion? When you replace a starter should you replace solenoid at the same time while you've got the starter out to be on the safe side or can you test the solenoid??

I will get the battery load tested and check all connections are o.k.

The car has done 96000 miles-I've had it 7 years and done about 30000 miles on it and I've never touched the starter motor since I've had it,so I know the starter is at least 7 years old.

If the battery and connections are all o.k should I then replace the starter, the solenoid or both?? How long should it take to change a starter??

adallak,maybe a stupid question, but when you replaced starters three times did you not replace solenoid at same time or were the starter and solenoid both faulty on each occasion? When you replace a starter should you replace solenoid at the same time while you've got the starter out to be on the safe side or can you test the solenoid??

Okay, this is a painful topic to me, because I have to confess I never could figure out what was going on with my starters...

The solenoid on original one went south at about 110,000 miles, later, when the armature followed (classic symptom is no start when hot, no clicks), I have replaced the whole starter with a new ACDelco one. Before installing, I opened it up, and was not pleased with the quality of parts and particularly with assembling at all... The new starter acted up too. Click - no start, click - no start... In a year or so it developed no start when hot symptom as well. So I replaced it again with the third new ACDelco starter made in Mexico under warranty. Not good either! All my cables, contacts, etc. were fine. I finally gave the car to a charity and bought the Fleetwood.

If you go through the trouble of removing the original starter, it makes sense to replace the whole thing. The FSM (factory service manual) recommends removing exhaust manifold, but you do not have to do that! There is a trick - after disconnecting all the connections, point the "nose" of the starter up, and in that position pull it down and out of car. Will take about an hour. Please use jack stands and secure the car safely. While there, check teh condition of ground on the engine block near the starter.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Only once have I had the no start when hot syndrome. It was on GM's first V6. Turned out that the starter solenoid was tucked up too close to the exhaust manifold and the heat would cause the contacts to expand and separate. Once it cooled the contacts contracted and it would start again. I think I rigged up some sort of heat shield for the replacement.

Archived