CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

TV SCREEN

These 7" screen are typically recessed into the back of a headrest. However, most automobile's standard headrests are simply not big enough. The majority of vehicles with large enough headrests are SUV's like Escalades, Yukons etc.

Smaller LCD screens are recessed into sun visors, but not the standard ones. Again, most cars simply do not have the ceiling headroom for a "fat" visor.

Keep in mind that it may be "less than legal" to install/operate an LCD screen in the front seat area, specifically in view of the driver.

The Caddy's dash is no place to begin cutting into to make room (without a big budget...)

All this assumes tha the screen is made to be harness-connected to a head unit and operated via remote (not a flip-top player unit).

Good luck :(

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I just read about a truck driver that hit a car at the intersection and the occupants of the car were killed. It was just ruled as a typical accident until they looked in the cab of the truck and he had a dvd plaver on the dash with the dvd still on. He was then charged with second degree murder. The best place is in the back seat for the kids.

Where are you gonna put the airbag?

Seriously dude... I know you are only 16... but think about this stuff carefully.

If you are installing the screen so you can watch it while you drive, you need to put it somewhere out of the line of your main focus. The 7" screen, unless it's a flipdown, is too big to be installed anywhere in the front passenger compartment. DEFINITELY not in the steering wheel... that would be a bad idea.

The only two options I've found for a relatively "safe" install in the front are in the radio/ashtray area and as an overhead flipdown where the sunglass / garage door opener fixture is. The problem with the first is that the screen will need to be smaller (a 5.5" is even a tight fit) unless you go with a head unit that has the screen which pops out; the problem with the second is that you will block your rear view mirror with the screen flipped down (which can be worked around) and that it will attract a lot of attention from the "man." Cops WILL pull you over if they can see your TV while they are driving behind you.

The 7" screen would be better served in the back seat or even in the trunk. I'd probably consider mounting a unit of that size off of the front seat armrest between the seats so both passengers in the back can see it. Combine that with a smaller screen in the dash (or a head unit with a flip-out screen) and you're golden. Check eBay... there's a company selling complete flip-out head unit systems for less than $500... and that will also give you the DVD player to drive the screens.

A TV screen has no place in a vehicle forward of the front seat back. "DON'T DO IT" is the best advice you'll be given. You would be smart to heed it. But having been 16 once I suspect you will not.

Put the TV Screen in your living room, where it belongs.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

And New York banned CELL PHONE use in the car because it may distract! I guess watching the MATRIX in traffic isn't too distracting..... :rolleyes: Why don't you just get a HEAD-UP Display (HUD)! :blink: Hey it works in F-14s! In the OLD DAYZ we looked for reasons to get into the backseat :lol:

I think that as part of the driver learning experience they should find a way to make it safe for the LEARNER to do an out of control high speed 360 both on wet and dry pavment, a high speed head-on collision with a utility pole or an overpass and a rollover to see how HELPLESS they are! :angry:

Last week I was on my way into Manhattan on a nice quiet Sunday morning doing about 60 and two idiots (5.0 Mustang and a Japanese burner) went by me at about 150, no exaggeration, by the time I blinked they were gone. They almost clipped my rear.. I thought what about the innocent people they are going to KILL... Lets let Hollywood continue making SPEED movies... Sorry for the rant, I got a bit off topic... :lol:

The only place that I could advise you to install it is THE TRUNK!

You would not only be endangering the lives of yourself and others; but opening yourself up to legal liability. You are much too young to spend 40 years in prison.

OH I DON'T HAVE KIDS IM ONLY 16 IM THINKIN OF PUTING IT IN THE STEERING WHEEL.

Before installing it, try driving in an empty parking lot only staring at the crest of the wheel. See how many curbs you scrape up against. Most DVD players that I have seen will not work with the ignition on. It has to be in the "Accessory" position to watch a DVD. Back seat if you want it to work when you are driving, front seat only on accessory. Putting one in the steering wheel would cost big time $$$ what with removing the air bag, making the air bag light go off, and fabricating a steering wheel to hold a screen.

Spence

Archived