CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service Engine warning

MetalGod

yeah I was driving home last night and the car decided to start slipping out of gear and then on comes the Service Engine Soon warning light. My first thought is it could be the transmission going...but 3 different times, it just completely stopped so that if I pressed on the gas at all, nothing would happen and then I'd have to shut the car off and start it again. Right now, my guess is the transmission, but then again I'm not sure of what else going wrong with the engine would cause that. I'm guessing the cost to fix this is going to range around $2000...if anyone out there has any answers, send em my way...and thanks.

The first thing to do is check and see what codes have been set.

Turn the ignition on (engine off) then press and hold both the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel. Hold them both down for 5 or 10 seconds until the Driver Information Center at the bottom of the instrument cluster lights up.

When this happens, take a paper and pencil and jot down the codes that come up. The codes will read something like "P039" and "CURRENT" or "HISTORY". The computer will cycle through all the codes that have been set then it will say "PCM?" and stop.

At this point, turn the ignition off and post the codes you've found. Someone on this board will likely be able to offer some help.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

It sounds like shift solenoids which are under the bottom tranny cover. Cost at the dealer $250-350 at a tranny shop $100-200. It depends on the codes. P039 & P094 are solenoid codes. Post the codes then we can give you an estimate of the cost.

I052 ....................................................... Keep Alive Memory Error

P041 (E041) .................. No Cam Reference Signal from Ignition Control Module

P052 (E052) ...................................................... PCM Memory Reset

I just read that same exact thing in a Hayne's repair manual, but thanks...this is gonna sound stupid, but what would I be looking at cost wise?

Has the battery been disconnected recently (codes remain in history for something like 60 ignition on/off cycles)? I052 Keep Alive Memory Error and P052 PCM Memory Reset are normally set when the battery is disconnected and usually are not an indication of trouble.

The P041 No Cam Reference Signal from Ignition Control Module is the most likely problem. The diagnostic flow chart for this trouble code leads to replacing the camshaft position sensor, replacing the power train control module, or replacing the ignition control module. You will need to get the car to someone who can diagnose the electrical system per the service manual to determine which it is.

I hope this helps.

photo-36.jpg

Yeah I recently disconnected the battery a couple of different times recently because I was putting new speakers in...the old ones were blown out so I replaced them. It seems to me like none of those would have anything to do with the car slipping out of gear and why the service engine light came on and those were the only trouble codes that showed up is beyond me, but then again I have a pretty limited knowledge of things like this. I'm planning on having everything checked out on Thursday. Thanks to everyone that posted replies so far I really appreciate it. Seeing as I'm still only a teenager, I'm not exactly made of $$ so I'm just hoping for the best at this time. Seems like Caddys are very complex vehicles compared to the more typical ones out there anyway.

The 4.9s had camshaft sensors?

It's not a camshaft sensor like in the Northstar. It's the sensor that is inside the distributor - There is a cam on the distributor shaft and the sensor senses the position of the lobe.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I just assumed it was a Northstar - if I've given any incorrect information, I appologize. The codes are the same as far as I know, but the P041 diagnostic flow chart may lead to a different conclusion for the 4.9 engine.

I have no idea why a camshaft sensor problem would cause it to fall out of gear.

It's probably a good idea to have it professionally checked out. Please post back and let us know what the problem was.

photo-36.jpg

After having the car checked out, I was told that I needed a tuneup and new spark plugs. That certainly was different than my original anticipation, but I was aware that it was overdue for a tuneup. Regardless, I hope this takes care of everything.

• 1 year later...

Metalgod,

May be way off base here but check passenger side floor, firewall, computer area for any signs of moisture. Prior to my fire (see Deville fire thread) I had some odd things happen. Transmission would not shift out of second gear (turn off and restart, then fine) and intermittent poor performance. Mine was a Northstar and didn't set any unusual codes but think the computer was getting wet. Long story and still unfolding but found a rust hole in upper floor pan. Not sure if the 4.9 computer is under the hood but if so disregard this post.

Bob

Archived