CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1992 seville

downlow

What's up guys, I hope that you can help me, this car is driving me crazy, first of all I have replaced wires, map sensor, plugs, coolant, stat, bars leak, air filter, temp sensor, now here's the problem, when I go out and start the car it will not stay started unless I keep pating the gas petal for about 5 min, when it does stay started the motor goes up and down up and down (rpms) all the time I am watching the temp on the readout and the temp goes from 63 to start stays there for awhile and then jumps from 63 all the way to 108 and then all of a sudden it jumps to 153 and then to 174 and the car shuts off, it will restart but idles roughly to the point that I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running, the temp atays at 174 for a while and the jumps to 229 and the car gives me the message "car hot idle engine" I have been told by the dealer the I need head gaskets, when I frist replaced the wires and plugs it ran like it was new for about a half hour but returned to the same problems after that, no codes as for yesterday but i will check it again today. Any help that you guys could give me would be great, I don't know that much about cars but since I have been working on this one I have learned a lot and I also have a maunal, thanks guys

your tem spkes just follow the wiered rpm behaviour. check the idle speed control motor for free movement of the plunger and throatle body and EGR tubes for deposits. I hoe you'll find them since you got a manual. It's strange you do not have trouble codes....

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Pulled these codes up today when I got home eo15 was current and then went to history, all of the following are history codes eo52, eo 71, eo73, eo74, eo31 also have code I039 as current this is the code that I can not find in the manual, also code IO52 history and AD52 history cannot find this code either. Aso I have noticed that I keep blowing the fuse that turnd the cooling fan have blown about 3 of them in the last week of so, I did look inside the throttle body and there is a lot of black deposits in there can i clean this with carb cleaner? also did idle lean procedure and the car seems to be running a bit better did not see temp spike just stedy climbing until it reached 230 when I noticed that the fans were not comming on so I shut it off until I get some more fuses later today or tomorrow

well you made some progress. Clean the throattle body with a carb cleaner and a tooth brush, use a hunger wire to clean through the two EGR tubes inside og the throattle body. Hopefully this will resolve wiered idle problems. You still need to find what causes the fan fuse to blow. You cannot drive without fan arond a city. When you are done with throattle, EGR (check the EGR vacoom passdages gor deposits as well) clear the codes.

Does the car idle OK when it's warm? When the engine is cold the PCM will raise the idle to keep it running (like the fast idle cam on the old carbs). If the temp sensor has gone wako perhaps it's telling the PCM that the engine is warm when it's not and therefor not raising the idle enough to keep it running.

Thanks Adallak will clean throttle body tomorrow and let you know what happens, how do I clear the codes, is this done by removing the negitive battery cable??

no, run diagnostics, after codes are shown the DIC will ask ECM DATA? etc I do not remember the exact procedure you should push High and Low to get the point where the DIC asks CLEAR ECM CODES? etc try it's intuitive.

something is definirely wrong with your colant sensor, its connector etc. MAP sensor connections should be checked as well. Did yo power wash the engine recently?

Don't know where my last post went but here it is again, after about 5 min of patting the gas to keep the car from stalling I can take my foot off the gas and it will stay running but the rpms still go up and down, I did notice yesterday that when I started the car in "N" and quickly put it in drive and drove a few feet forward and a few back that it idled fine after that will try it again this morning, the temp went up normally until it reached around 230 and then I shut her down because of the cooling fan blown fuse, I have not power washed the engine, on the way home one day it just shut off at the light, started right up again, but on the way home it started to heat up and the display said to shut engine off, I did this about 3 times before I got home (about 9miles) because of the message and the car was surging real hard, have changed the coolant temp sensor twice (thought the first one was bad) the wires comming from the sensor looks fine but I have not checked the connection on the other end, will try it again this morning and post what happens, will clean the throttle body today and clear codes pick up some fuse for the fan and let you know what happens. I have also noticed that when I start the car in the morning the temp reads 63, and then it goes up steady to about 109 then it jumps backward to -35,(minus 35) and then the display just shows (--) on the display for about a min or so and then goes back to about 85 (strange huh) maybe its possesed, in any event I love this car and I need to get it running right again.

Ok guys its off to the bump and grind, will check back in later, and thanks for all the help

That irratic tempurature display leads me to believe that it is an electrical problem causing a false indication rather than an actual overheat situation.
I agree with LG - the temp cannot PHYSICALLY surge like that...

The "Outside Temperature" display reading is fluctuating all over the place? If so, the sensor behind the grill needs to be replaced.

Those numbers do not sound like they have anything to do with the coolant temperature.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It's not the outside temp display, that's fine its the coolant temp display that's jumping all over the place, cleaned the throttll body today and the car seems to run smoother, but only after I have to keep it running by patting the gas for about 5 min to get it warmed up, and then the only way that i can keep it idleing is to start it in "N" and then shift quickly into "D" and drive it back and forward a few times, only the will it idle on it's own. If the temp reading are electrical where do I began to look and what do I look for. Auto parts store did not have fuse for fan, so I once again let the car run on it's own until the temp got up to about 230 and shut it down, will try and take it out after work tomorrow and when I get those fan fuses. I noticed today that the "gasket"?? that sits on top of the throttle body?? is broken but it still forms a circle when I put the air filter cover on it?? (i think that's what its called) you know the big round thing :D

Any way until tomorrow, have a nice eveing guys

PS-Don't you just love these cars :angry:

I noticed today that the "gasket"?? that sits on top of the throttle body?? is broken but it still forms a circle when I put the air filter cover on it?? (i think that's what its called) you know the big round thing

my gasket was gone too... replaced it with homemade one. Take a crap of rubber and cut a ring by means of drafting compas. Whatever, the damaged gasket is not responsible for the symptoms you described.

PS-Don't you just love these cars

nothing is perfect, even Cadillacs :D

How true, well I am playing hookie from work today I am going to trace every connection related to the map sensor and the coolant sensor and I may even try and take her out for a trip around the block after I get some cooling fan fuses, will post later this afternoon

Archived