CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Is AWD a residual value Faux Pas?

I have been noticing that the least expensive used vehicles for the 2010 Cadillac CTS Premium are often all wheel drive examples. This seems counter-intuitive because the AWD is more expensive new. Could it be that the AWD is less desirable in the used car market due to the lower fuel economy and perhaps perceived higher maintenance?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I have been noticing that the least expensive used vehicles for the 2010 Cadillac CTS Premium are often all wheel drive examples. This seems counter-intuitive because the AWD is more expensive new.

Could it be that the AWD is less desirable in the used car market due to the lower fuel economy and perhaps perceived higher maintenance?

I would certainly think twice and maybe three times, about buying an AWD used... for exactly the reasons you stated.

I would be afraid of the higher maint cost if it was not under warranty... and the lower fuel mileage would also play a part in my decision making process.

Posted Image

The interesting thing would be with 2 otherwise equivalent fully loaded 2010 Cadillac CTS Premium Models, but one was RWD and one was AWD, and the AWD was $2K LESS expensive, which would you pick? The AWDs appear to run around $2K-3K less than the RWD for the posting I have seen.

Bruce

In the climate we have here...I see no advantage to an AWD vehicle at all.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one for several reasons.

More complexity.

Added maint cost.

Less fuel mileage.

And after it is no longer under warranty...

Too much of a chance that REALLY EXPENSIVE parts will have to fixed.

I will stick with 2wd... either front drive or rear drive...but not both.

Posted Image

I think the new AWD systems are nice technology. There is a limited added weight. I agree they are more useful in a northern climate where one sees more snow/ice than the one or two days we get in Texas. I would be interested to test drive an AWD model and see how it works "in person" before deciding. The lower mpg and lower acceleration (due to weight) are negatives I agree.

Bruce

I know it isn't a Cadillac, but my son has a 2010 Subaru Outback AWD.

I have driven it a few times.

In normal driving, you can't tell it is all wheel drive.

The AWD system on it is biased to the rear wheels.

We had it out "PLAYING" on a really fun and twisty road over by Lake Worth...

One interesting thing I noted about it was...

If you go into a corner "REALLY HARD"...break the rear end loose and the rear end starts sliding...it reduces power to the rear wheels and transfers power the the "FRONT" wheels to help pull you out of the corner.

I thought that was pretty neat.

Other than that...you can't tell it is full time AWD.

Posted Image

awd are very common in MN. as you would expect. i see many mercedes 4matics. a good number of bmw X models. but not a whole lot of awd caddys. my friend just bought a new infiniti g37x sedan. kinda smallish for me. 320hp is nice but 300+ hp is standard now on almost all mid-level sedans. the back up camera thru the nav system is cool. i can see that on a high suv but its not needed on a smallish sedan.

I know it's different in different parts of the country; but I live in Michigan and wouldn't

own a high-powered car with rear wheel drive. The kid next door had a nearly new Chevrolet

truck and got the idea he had to have a Dodge Charger. Winter came and, after a couple of

months I noticed he had a new Chevy pick-up which was almost identical to the one he had

before the charger. It seems he couldn't get out of the parking lot at home and couldn't

get out of the parking lot at work when there was ice and snow on the roads. The V-8 STS with

it's wider tires in back is such a problem on snow and ice that my dealer does not order

them w/o AWD. If you want a RWD, he'll get one for you after warning you of the problem.

Archived