CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How do I go about changing my dimming potentiometer?

After intermittently going in and out for the past few months, it seems like my dimming pot has well and fully bit the dust. I'm showing I022 panel dimming switch pot circuit current, and haven't had lights behind my gauges the past 2 nights. Found it on rockauto.com, now the question is what will it take to replace it? Does it just come out from the front, or will I have to take the dash apart?

And while I'm on the topic of codes and electric problems, new suspension code came up (history). S061 right front position sensor fault. What exactly does that mean?

No matter where you go, there you are.

In my '95 Eldorado it was easily removed by pulling gently on the knob to remove it from the dash. I don't believe there was any difference between my '95 and the '94 Seville.

The position sensor is just a potentiometer and amp built in to a small box mounted on the chassis and connected to the moving suspension by a link only a few inches long. You won't have any trouble finding it. Check its electrical connector.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to ordering the "instrument panel dimming switch" on rockauto.com. But they seem to have sent me the wrong part. They sent me some kind of spacer, a sheet metal piece about an inch long and a half inch wide. Oddly, the part numbers seem to match. The packing list definitely says "instrument panel dimmer switch," but the part itself says it's a spacer. Is there a different part number or part I need to order?

I have been having the same issues. It is very frustrating owning 2 vehicles that have many discontinued parts. I tried to get the baffle gaurd for behind the front bumper last weeek and same thing. Dont know what to do. :huh:

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Good body parts are probably harder to come by in the junk yard, since body damage is primarily how most of those vehicles probably got there (although there were lots of clean Caddies in the junk yards in the wake of Cash for Clunkers, which made for some good part shopping). I figure odds are in my favor for finding a good dimmer switch. Still, it's just another hassle.

Good body parts are probably harder to come by in the junk yard, since body damage is primarily how most of those vehicles probably got there (although there were lots of clean Caddies in the junk yards in the wake of Cash for Clunkers, which made for some good part shopping). I figure odds are in my favor for finding a good dimmer switch. Still, it's just another hassle.

I see parts like this on ebay all the time. Might save you from getting dirty.

Archived