CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Thumping noise sometimes while braking

hiljak

I just recently put new front rotors and pads on my 99 STS and sometimes (maybe 40% of the time) I get a thumping noise while coming to complete stop. Its different than you would hear from a warped rotor, its and actual thump. I did some investigating and see the steering linkage (not sure the name) has a rubber boot that appers to have burst. I took a pitcure and attached it. Are these things shoit when the boot is comprimsed? Also, if I change it and mark the bolt and nut to track the exact number of turns the nut is and set the replacement accordingly, would I still have to get the car aligned?

post-3-1093311936.jpg

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

I had the same sound last year and it turned out to be corrosion on the right rear rotor. Never have understood how you could get corrosion on the wear surface.

Your picture appears to be of the tie rod end. There is a small hole in it to relieve pressure so it will not burst. That may be what you are seing.

The boot is definitely seperated from the metal about half the way around. The boot even looks different than the other side. The good side's boot is kind of folded like an accordian and appears to be pressed into the metal. Tha bad one looks like a slip over rubber cap. There is grease everywhere and none on the good side.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

The boot is definitely seperated from the metal about half the way around.  The boot even looks different than the other side.  The good side's boot is kind of folded like an accordian and appears to be pressed into the metal.  Tha bad one looks like a slip over rubber cap.  There is grease everywhere and none on the good side.

This means the boot ruptured on the bad side and you need a new one. If you wait too long at replacing the boot, you'll need a new CV joint as well which gets very pricey. Get the boot replaced ASAP.

To replace the boot, the axle has to be removed. Usually, it does not require a wheel alignment.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Are you referring to the grease boot on the tie rod end? You can replace the tie rod end and not require an alignment IF you measure the distance from the center of the grease zerk to the edge of the boot in the tie rod itself (the rack boot). Just be sure to maintain the same distance when installing the new tie rod end and you should be close enough. If the car pulls or you notice uneven tire wear, then it will require an alignment.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I doubt a tie rod end would cause clunking on stop.. My car clunks on stop if I put the transmission in neutral and then brake to a stop. right when it stops or an instane before it clunks.. I don't know what it is and it's really weird.. it almost feels like the TCC is engaged and then unengages at a stop but if the tranny is in nsutral that shouldn't make a clunk... it's weird..

Archived