CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

coolant

Hi all,

I have a 1994 STS, I have put in a new radiator, new thermostat, and a new cap on the tank. When i start the car antifreeze pushes out through the overflow tank until it gets to about 180-degrees. It doesn't pour out it drips out. I checked the oil daily and there is no antifreeze mixed in. The car does not overheat, the highest the temp has been was 223-degrees, but then goes down to 215-degrees. If i am on the parkway it goes to 199-201 degrees. What could be the reason for the anti freeze dripping out? The car has 105,242 miles on it. I don't know if the system has ever been flushed. I brought the car in may 2004. The radiator was leaking when i brought it. I decided to replace the radiator, and thermostat at the same time. One thing i did find out from the previous owner was whenever the radiator did leak she would pour in a bottle of radiator-alumi-seal. B)

Where are you from? Pittsburgh? Only in Pittsburgh do they call a place where you drive a "Parkway" and a place where you park a "driveway".

Just kidding, anyway, where is the leak coming from? You really don't give enough info. Is it the cap on the tank that is bad? Is it the threads, or sealing surface? Does it run out the overflow tube, like the cap is weak or incorrect? Are you leaving an airspace in the tank to allow for expansion?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Hi all,

I have a 1994 STS, I have put in a new radiator, new thermostat, and a new cap on the tank. When i start the car antifreeze pushes out through the overflow tank until it gets to about 180-degrees. It doesn't pour out it drips out. I checked the oil daily and there is no antifreeze mixed in. The car does not overheat, the highest the temp has been was 223-degrees, but then goes down to 215-degrees. If i am on the parkway it goes to 199-201 degrees. What could be the reason for the anti freeze dripping out? The car has 105,242 miles on it. I don't know if the system has ever been flushed. I brought the car in may 2004. The radiator was leaking when i brought it. I decided to replace the radiator, and thermostat at the same time. One thing i did find out from the previous owner was whenever the radiator did leak she would pour in a bottle of radiator-alumi-seal. B)

Parkway, huh? Hmmmmmmmmmmm....Somewhere in New Jersey. ;)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Parkway, huh? Hmmmmmmmmmmm....Somewhere in New Jersey. 

Yep, "Garden State (did not see any garden in NJ) Parkway". I would call it rather "Flyway"

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I once tried to replace the cap on my 93 STS with an aftermarket with the same 15 PSi rating because the original one has no grip and was difficult to open and close. My surge tank started to overflow at 223 degrees with the new cap on. Went to a GM dealership, bought the revised orginal (now black with a better grip) used on the 96 and later models. No more overflow problems. The only thing is the top of the cap says use Dexcool only, good thing I do not let anyone service my cooling system.

Archived