CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Turn hard right, clunking noise

epricedright

'94 Deville 4.9l. Now a new noise I'm hearing. Tonight I turned a sharp right from a stand still and hit the gas and heard a mild clunking noise, maybe from the front end. Can't hear it when I turn left. Has anyone had this problem or suspect what it might be? I hope it's not the transaxle! :(

What does it sound like exactly? it could be a cv joint which is fairly simple to replace although annoying.. check the boots for leakage, if there is any at all it needs to be replaced. Check the bushings, jack it up and move the tire back and forth, etc.. IT could be somethign as simple as a bushing or as annoying as a cv joint or strut

;) The cheapest way to fix your problem is not to turn a sharp right from a stand still and accelerate. :D Like when you go to the doctor and tell him it hurts when you do this and he tells you not to do that. LOL :lol:

I wouldn't automatically conclude that it is a CV joint - it may be but it could also be a stabilizer link which is a very easy repair. If the outer CV boot is not cracked and there is not grease sprayed all over the wheel well, chances are, the CV joint is OK.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Where's the stabilizer link? What's it look like? The boot was fine the other day. I'll look again. And what's the test for the CV joint, besides pushing & pulling on the wheel? Puttin on my greaseball mechanic clothes now. :ph34r:

i would not try to fix ALL the problems simultaneously - it may be too much frustration! fix one at a time. You can drive with clinc-clunk for a while. not a big deal.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Where's the stabilizer link? What's it look like? The boot was fine the other day. I'll look again. And what's the test for the CV joint, besides pushing & pulling on the wheel? Puttin on my greaseball mechanic clothes now. :ph34r:

The stabilizer links are at each end of the round tortion bar that is near the engine cradle. The bar goes from one side of the cradle to the other.

Check the adjustment of the ISC motor first... <_<

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

BTW, to test for a worn CV joint, find an empty parking lot, roll the windows down and drive in a tight circle - first to the left, and then to the right. Listen to each side for a uniform clicking noise from the front wheel wells. If you do not have any clicking noise, the CV joints are OK. You will know it if they're bad.

I really doubt your CV joint(s) are bad anyway - the car only has 75,000 miles on it and the boots are intact so they are probably OK.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have a '98 STS with 60,000 miles on it and also get a clunck noise from the front end when making right turns. I know it is from the left side but it only happen while making long turns like getting on to the highway via an entrance ramp. If there happens to be a dip in the road while I am making the turn it will clunck when I hit it. it doesn't happen very often which leads me to believe that the stabalizer bar might be loose. I've been meaning to take a look but have not had the time as I am having a wheel hub bearing replaced on the front right tire. Not sure why that went but thats for another time. Hope you find the problem. ;)

I just took it for a short test drive to test my ISC primarily and took a 1/2 dozen sharp rights and couldn't get the noise...maybe once it gets hot it acts up? Will take it to a parking lot later and drive the %@ out of it and see if it acts up again. :lol:

I just took it for a short test drive to test my ISC primarily and took a 1/2 dozen sharp rights and couldn't get the noise...maybe once it gets hot it acts up? Will take it to a parking lot later and drive the %@ out of it and see if it acts up again. :lol:

You don't need to beat the hell out of the car to test the CV joints... :lol: Just idle with the steering wheel almost near each extreme.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It's probably a bushing or a link or something.. those are the most pain in the *smurf* problems because you can't really tell it's bad by just looking at it. New bushings is probably in store for the car anyway.. I'm getting ready to do mine on my 99 if I can find some poly ones.. NOBODY makes a kit for these cars so I'll have to break out the part numbes and cross reference for each one.. ugh

Archived