CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 STS No Power

I have a 1996 STS when i turn the key on there is no power to the radio, windows or the starter when trying to crank it. I have power to the headlights, seats and trunk latch and also the fuel door. I can also eject the CD tray and stuff like that Is this a function of the security lock out or is there a relay or something I am missing. It worked fine except for transmission problems before winter. I parked in the garrage all winter and when I went to pull it out of the garage and it wouldnt crank over.Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

i have same car. just checked it. headlights come on using dash switch. key in ignition or not. turn key to on. idiot lights come on. turn key to crank, motor starts. check your battery terminals for corrosion. check battery voltage. use charger or jump battery. change battery. good cables, good battery. no crank? might be starter.

i have same car. just checked it. headlights come on using dash switch. key in ignition or not. turn key to on. idiot lights come on. turn key to crank, motor starts. check your battery terminals for corrosion. check battery voltage. use charger or jump battery. change battery. good cables, good battery. no crank? might be starter.

I have checked all the battery cables they are good I dont get any lights in the dash other than the security light blinking. when I turn the key to on or acc I get nothing as far as the radio or the windows rolling down. I can turn the headlights on and try and start the car the lights dont dimm or anything.

you mentioned security codes issues in your first post but did not say your security light was blinking. should have said that. i am no security code expert. but i did store my car for 4 months. car started fine but only ran for about 1 minute. i moved it out of garage and shut it off. tired to start it awhile later and battery was dead. just enough juice to start it once. put jumper cables on and it started fine. no issues since.

In what way did you check the battery cables?

The positive cable needs to be disassembled and cleaned, did you do that?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

In what way did you check the battery cables?

The positive cable needs to be disassembled and cleaned, did you do that?

I removed both positive and negative cables cleaned them and the connection on the battery. I then put the battery charger on the battery while diconnected and charged it fully. I reinstalled the cables and I have headlights they are bright and strong the door chime rings loudly when the key is in the ignition the trunk lid opens and closes with no problem and the fuel door opens with no problem. When I turn the ignition to the on position there is no lights on the dash except for the blinking security light which when the door is closed and the lock button is pushed stays on solid. I can open the CD changer in the trunk and it ejects the cartridge fine The radio nor the heater controls or nothing like that comes on in either ACC or with the ignition in the on Position. I have checked all the fuses that I know of under the hood and I have swaped rellays with no results

I was looking at the diagram on page 8A-10-3 in the 1997 FSM and the 10 Amp fuse labeled IGN 1 in the engine compartment fuse/relay center may be the culprit. Its circuits are given in the diagram on page 8A-11-10 and include the headlamps and the controlled power, which would include the radio. There is a fuse farther up the circuit shown on page 8A-10-3 that protects the ignition switch itself, a 30 Amp fuse labeled BATT 2 in the RH Maxifuse block.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Be sure there are no DTC codes, related to the security system

There is a starter relay that is related to the security system

Pull all breakers, relays and fuses and check for corrosion

Make sure the positive cable bolt does not bottom out before the cables are tight, the starter draws a lot, if the connection is loose, it would arch and lose contact, but the lights etc would work

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I was looking at the diagram on page 8A-10-3 in the 1997 FSM and the 10 Amp fuse labeled IGN 1 in the engine compartment fuse/relay center may be the culprit. Its circuits are given in the diagram on page 8A-11-10 and include the headlamps and the controlled power, which would include the radio. There is a fuse farther up the circuit shown on page 8A-10-3 that protects the ignition switch itself, a 30 Amp fuse labeled BATT 2 in the RH Maxifuse block.

Is the RH Maxifuse block under the hood or is there another fuseblock located somewhere I have checked all the fuses under the hood?

Archived