CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Igniation switch won't turn off!

JBuckley

Hi all, I have 94 STS, hopped in car to go to store, everthing was fine came out of store eveything fine, car cranks great I get up and go, get home about 2 miles from store and go to turn off ignition, the switch will not move to the off position, it will turn forward(towards motor) but that direction will not engage starter, it just suts the electrical down( the antenna goes down, the dash info goes off, the blower stops, but the engine keeps running. It feels like ther switch is locked into position when I try to cut if off.

Help any Ideas, the cars is running and I can not shut it off.

John

John

Thnaks adallak, I was loking at that in my manual and wondering if it was the lock out, also the steering wheel will not lock into position now.

I got the car to shut off, I disconnected the battery and then turned the switch forwad til where it kills the power and the car died out. so now onto seeing what screwed up.

John

John

take off the insulation under the stearing column and try to move the ignition switch with hand (while the key is in ON position). If it starts and shuts down the switch is fine and your problem is either actuator or the lock. Does the key move as if it does not engage anything inside the lock?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

No the key is in the switch tight, I mean I can not pull out the key, I can not turn it to off position it feels like it is locked going that way, I can turn it like you normally would to start and it will not engage the starter, it just kills the accessory power and lights up the the dash like when you first put the key in and put pressure on the switch right before where the starter will engage.

It feels like it is engaging like it is suppose to, it does not spin or feel like it is not in contact with anything.

John

it still sounds like the part #44 in my diagramm is broken. Try to take off the insulation and start the car directly applying the forcr to the ignition witch.

the part (#44) is $15 you can replace it if you are mechanically inclined - not a big deal. Do not let the stealership to cheat on you...

the matter is that the ignition switch has three positions Off, On and Start. The last one requires more torque that's the reason you cannot get there with broken link

When I bought mine, the key was sometimes very hard to get out of the ignition. It turned out the interlock that prevents the shifter from moving out of park when the ignition is off was out of adjustment. This kept the ignition from reaching the fully off position where the key can be removed. It sounds like a similar problem to what you're experiencing. I hope this helps.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

DO NOT PANIC! DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

check this out:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2852

Do not disconnect the battery with the engine running....you will damage the alternator.

I would pull the fuel pump relay or unplug the fuel pump if you can access the harness plug.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have dropped the trim piece and the sheet metal cover from the lower column, and I do not see that blasted actuator arm, I am trying to located the ignition switch itself, I see that it is suppose to be at the lower portion of the steering column, do I have to lower the column down to get to it?

John

Ok, it helps to look at the right diagram, I see that I have a solenoid interlock assembly, can't get away from these darn solenoids on this car.

It is not a completely mechanical device, it uses the solenoid to engage the switch actuator.

I see that they have an adjustment for this, so I will try that first, has anyone else done this procedure?

John

John

As far as I remember you can approach the ignition switch without lowering the column. The broken actuator will not usually show up untill yu take half of the column appart. Please pay attention to what Prohab saya - it may be the case as well. I recommended trying the switch just to eliminate the ignition switch from the trouble list.

Well, I have tried moving the gearshift thru every gear and it makes no difference, I can not get the switch to turn to the off position or get the steering wheel to lock. It is raining here and kind of hard for me to get under the dash.

Do I have to remver the airbag and steering wheel itseld to get down to the actuator, it looks like I can get to it from underneath.

John

Well, I have tried moving the gearshift thru every gear and it makes no difference, I can not get the switch to turn to the off position or get the steering wheel to lock. It is raining here and kind of hard for me to get under the dash.

Do I have to remver the airbag and steering wheel itseld to get down to the actuator, it looks like I can get to it from underneath.

steering lock a quite simple mechanicle device, it may fail only if you cannot bring the keylock to complete OFF position. something prevents it from moving to OFF. It may be the broken actuator or as Prohab suggested the other day.

I am afraid you have to take out th e airbag and wheel to get the keylock and see the rack, actuator. It is not hard but there was a tricky retaining ring somewhat hard to remove... and also turn signal handle (some small screw on it should be removed and the handle should be turned some 90 degrees and pulled out). I hope you have a good manual (my Chilton was not enough).

Archived