CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rocks stuck in radiator?

acklac7

I changed the passenger side end tank on the radiator today and noticed what appeard to be orange pebbles stuck in ends of the radiator. Theses "pebbles" were completley clogging the bottom 3 fins..and partially clogging the remaining ones. They may not have been rocks...but they sure looked like rocks...or quartz of some sort....never heard of anything like this...any ideas?

A.J.

Theses "pebbles" were not rocks...but they sure looked like rocks...or quartz of some sort....never heard of anything like this...any ideas?

acklac7,

They were dilithium crystals from the warp speed cruizin' you've been doin'...enjoy the power, (force)..Luke

couldn't resist... :lol:

Theses "pebbles" were not rocks...but they sure looked like rocks...or quartz of some sort....never heard of anything like this...any ideas?

acklac7,

They were dilithium crystals from the warp speed cruizin' you've been doin'...enjoy the power, (force)..Luke

couldn't resist... :lol:

Dilithium! I am interested! :lol:

You could use a fin comb to remove the debris. Here is a picture of a fin comb:

http://lenzdist.com/mcart/index.cgi?ID=NC8...+Parts&pgidx=30

Kevin, thanks for that link, that site has a wealth of special tools. By the way, I didn't get to my AC this past weekend, my wife had a bunch of stuff at the top of the list that I didn't know about :( Mike

You could use a fin comb to remove the debris. Here is a picture of a fin comb:

I have heard about those fin combs but have never seen one. I am getting tired of picking stones & bugs out and staightening the fins with a pocket knife. I am considering putting some kind of sreening on the lower part of my wifes Bonneville (That thing is a stone magnet), but I am a little concerened about disrupting air flow.. Has anyone seen these sold over the counter anywhere or do I have to purchase online?

The fin combs work well - one swipe and the fins are straight again. The comb area is about 1 inch wide so you need to make multiple passes if you have a large area.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I changed the passenger side end tank on the radiator today

IMO it made sense to change the both tanks. That's what I did and very happy with it. The inlet was cracked but the outlet appeared to have even more problems I could not see before I took the radiator off the car.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

would have changed both tanks only I didnt really have the money...it looks like gasket went on the tank....I didnt notice any cracks, but the gasket looked torn up...(cross my fingers for the drivers side gasket) Also Im talking about rocks INSIDE the radiator.......not stuck inbetween the fins on the outside...there were "dilithium crystals" (lol) stuck In the coolant passeges that run through the inside of the radiator, there were about a dozen (?) or so of the passeges (for lack of a better term)....It sure seemed strange to find them clogged with rocks.

A.J.

You could use a fin comb to remove the debris.  Here is a picture of a fin comb:

Kevin, thanks for that link, that site has a wealth of special tools. By the way, I didn't get to my AC this past weekend, my wife had a bunch of stuff at the top of the list that I didn't know about :( Mike

What could be more important than repairing the A/C on your Cadillac? :lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You could use a fin comb to remove the debris.  Here is a picture of a fin comb:

What could be more important than repairing the A/C on your Cadillac? :lol:

I agree totally! But my wife found a few things with my daughters bday party coming up.... :lol:

Archived