CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

SLS vs. Mustang GT

JasonA

This was a very current GT with some mods that I really had fun racing, once. He did start the race (pulled into the lane next to me at the light). I had him all the way through his second gear, and then he started to pull ahead on me. I let off when we got to the speed limit. He at least had a set of Flowmasters on it, not sure what else. I was going to ask him what he had, and when I gave him the thumbs up, he have me the "tisk tisk tisk" with his finger, saying, "don't mess with me." That sorta took the fun out of it and if he was going to be like that, I wasn't going to ask him what he had, but it was fun nonetheless. The SLS did real good...I didn't expect to beat him though -- he probably had a low-14 second car, including any mods.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Ugh! What is it with Mustard GT owners? I know exactly what you're talking about Jason. Must be a prerequisite before owning a mustard that you pass Prick 101. Perhaps the seats are uncomfortable, preventing proper blood flow to the brain. In any case Jason, I'm betting what you really wanted at that "tsk tsk tsk" moment was a 50cal. James Bond special gun turret. At least you were the better sport about it. I don't think mustard drivers understand the big picture here. They're racing a caddy. At best a caddy (until now with the new lineup) can be described as a luxary sport sedan. Emphasis on luxary. Let's think for a moment what GM has for a sportier drive.... ahh yes the Corvette. I bet you don't see mustard GTs racing Corvettes of the same year often. At least some of that blood is making it to their brains.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

At least it's an American made V-8 Mustang, what gets me when it's some four banger, crome glasspack muffer, sowing machine sounding piece of crap with an idiot behind the wheel who has no respect for the safety of himself or others. To top it off has the same "tisk tisk tisk" finger attitude, there seems to be an over abunance of this here is so. Fla, Fast and Furious didn't help either.

sebring06RTP.jpg

Perhaps the seats are uncomfortable, preventing proper blood flow to the brain.

I think maybe it's all the VOC evaporation from the miles of plastic in the interior. :)

It was pretty funny because I had him all the way to about 40 mph. He was shifting fast too, so I know he was on it all the way. I let off right at the point he pulled ahead of me (because we were eclipsing the speed limit). I think he was just so surprised that he was looking at Cadillac taillights until he hit 3rd gear that he had to show me something. And I was practically shouting, "aww, put that finger away, I had you all the way!" :lol:

It was probably like every other Mustang out there, a K&N with Flowmasters. Problem is, for us, that seems to be a pretty efficient way to spice up a Ford modular motor, and get you in the low 14s for cheap. This confirmed my desire to, if the original mufflers on mine ever do blow out, slap on a pair of Borlas or Edelbrocks. :P

Fast and Furious didn't help either.

That movie was the "inspiration" for those Japanese grinders with coffee can mufflers...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

LOL! IF you were going 40mph and he was in 3rd gear something is wrong. I've owned and driven several mustangs and stock my first gear went to 45 mph and 2nd went to 85 and 3rd 120 and 4th well i got to 160 and chickened out :) Another one 1st was like 35 2nd was 70, etc.. So there's no way in hell he was in 3rd at 40 unless he either had a real high gear ratio like 3.73 or 4.11 or he wasn't expecting you to race him and he got on it after he noticed you going and he wasn't really in 3rd :) Anyway, I raced a newish GT and he roasted me. by the time I was going 100 he was probably 10 car lenghts ahead of me.. Was nice enough to chat and tell me what he had which explains the toasting.. he had 4.11, edlebrock heads, headers, intake, msd iignition, exhaust probably without a cat cuz it was loud as hell, etc..... so ya.. that would do it :>

LOL! IF you were going 40mph and he was in 3rd gear something is wrong.

A really short gear ratio might have done it. Trust me, I could hear the gear shifts through the loud annoying Flowmaster mufflers. :) He had Flowmasters, and if he weren't a prick about it, I was going to ask him what else he had in it. Besides, he wasn't in 3rd already at 40 mph. I said I let off when he got in third, because we had just reached the speed limit (60 mph).

If you happen to run across a SVT COBRA, JUST leave it be, he packs off the show room floor 390 horses , with a supercharger, coupled with a six speed manual shift. His only downside is , unless modified, is a 6500 RPM fuel shut off, got to keep the insurance industry happy.

Ahh.. even at 60 being in 3rd he must have changed the gears.. Your caddy must take off darn fast from a stop :) Either that or the guy just didn't know how to drive which is mostly the cases with mustang drivers HehEHe.. :> I'm glad he got a taste though. I'm not partial to any specific manufacturer .. I like mustangs and I like cadillacs.. no matter who makes them

Boys will be boys! A stock STS/SLS will only have a chance with a STOCK 5 litre Disgustang! You get a 4.6, and you beat him only because he dosen't know what he is doing! I am a big Caddy fan, but I know reality! A bone stock STS will barely break the 14 second barrier, much like the "5 point slow' STOCK Mustang. The STS never wins in 0-60 if all things are equal. The STS suffers from serious lack of low end! The new VVT motor addresses this, the official track times seem to be conservative, but will never propel the 4000 pound STS to anything but a "flat 14". Get a CTS-V if you want real Mustang blood, and lets all hope that the STS-V gets reworked with a more potent powerplant!

Ahh.. even at 60 being in 3rd he must have changed the gears.. Your caddy must take off darn fast from a stop :)

Even a 4-cylinder econobox will stay even with anything halfway fast through about 20 mph. The LD8 engine is a great engine for low-end grunt...moreso than the L37 is. I definitely had him off the line and all the way through 2nd. That's when the limitations of the LD8 came into play. If I coulda switched to the 3.71 gear and the L37 cam at that point, I might have stayed with him. Ahh...the wonders of VVT. :)

The Mustang's 4.6L engine makes 260 hp at 5300 rpm, and 300 lb*ft of torque, at 4000 rpm. The LD8 engine meets or exceeds both of those numbers, at similar engine speeds. The gear is also similar (3.27 in the Mustang vs. 3.11 in the LD8 Seville). The big difference is weight (probably 800 lbs. difference). If you really get the jump off the line in a Caddy, it'll take a while for the Mustang to catch up (assuming it's a stock 'Stang), but it probably will.

Just rember one thing the STS' power is really toned down for emmisions reprorgam the computer and you will open up it's power and give the pony a run for it's money. A catback system would't hurt either.

Archived