CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Theft Deterent message,wait 3 min!

manowar77

Hello everyone!

Last week when i tried to start the car i got the message "Starting disabled due to theft deterent,wait 3 min" when i turned the key... after waiting 3 min i tried again...same result!

Waited 10 min and tried once more and the car started..shut it off and tried again and it fired up again..!!

Turned the engine off,switch on the ignition and pulled the codes...all fine...no codes what so ever!

Its the first time in 4 years that i had this message..code 33 it said also on the IPC!

Could it be the key resistors that are worn down?? After all its a 15 years old key!

I have used WD-40 in the ignition on regular basis!

Roger Martinsen

The key can wear, and the ignition tumbler can wear. As you mention, coating the key in wd40 then running it into the ignition tumbler, pulling it out and wiping it off, then coating it again and inserting can act to 'wash off' the internal workings. A good way to test also is try the 'other' key, which might be less worn.

Replacement of the ignition tumbler and key are eventually required.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hi Bruce!

I forgot to mention that the SECURITY lamp has been on for the last 4 years, never had any problems with it until now! Doe the the SECURITY lamp come on if there is any malfunction with the ignition?

Roger Martinsen

Another possibility is related to two tiny wires inside the ignition lock. They move every time you turn the key. They are probably moving south fast and may leave you stranded some day (soon). If playing with the key and WD-40 does not eliminate the problem, I would replace the ignition lock OR fool the security system by inserting a resistor equal to one in your key into the circuit on the car's side. I have done it when my wires failed.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thanks for the replies!

I will take the steering column cover off next week and inspect the ignition..we have gotten 2 feet of this darn snow this weekend so its not the perfect working conditions for the moment!

Roger Martinsen

Thanks for the replies!

I will take the steering column cover off next week and inspect the ignition..we have gotten 2 feet of this darn snow this weekend so its not the perfect working conditions for the moment!

Roger, there is something you can do now. Measure the resistance of your key. Buy a resistor with same (close) resistance and keep it in your glovebox. Sort out the wires you will have to cut to insert the resistor on the car's side if God forbid you do get stranded in the middle of nowhere some day.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

According to my mechanic the car wont start if its something wrong with the key..if the car starts and the system check are ok,its not the key!

But changing the ignition key and lock are not expensive so its a start!

Roger Martinsen

Archived