CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 SLS surging

greenida

Does this surging happen when it's in park or when it's in gear? You should pull the Diagnostic Trouble Codes and post them. They are usually very helpful in figuring out what the problem is. If you don't already know how to do it, here's a link that will tell you how.

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

big4870885.jpg

Does this surging happen when it's in park or when it's in gear? You should pull the Diagnostic Trouble Codes and post them. They are usually very helpful in figuring out what the problem is. If you don't already know how to do it, here's a link that will tell you how.

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

It does it when in gear. It also seams to idle a bit fast. When cold it almost jumps a little when going from park to reverse.

Have you checked for a ripped plenum? The plenum is the rubber coupler between the TB and the manifold (on 2000+ Northstars). They tend to rip on the bottom where it can't be seen. Spray some Brakleen or carb cleaner or such around there and listen for an RPM increase.

Have you checked for a ripped plenum? The plenum is the rubber coupler between the TB and the manifold (on 2000+ Northstars). They tend to rip on the bottom where it can't be seen. Spray some Brakleen or carb cleaner or such around there and listen for an RPM increase.

Ranger,

Do the newer ones (like mine) still use the rubber plenum?

Posted Image

Thanks, will check it. Replaced the fuel filter last night. I think it was the original (104,000 mi.). Thought that would be a good idea for $13. Don't know if it will help, but I know it wont hurt.

Ranger,

Not sure Jim (but I think so). I've never had the opportunity to peek under the hood of an '06 or newer. Should be pretty easy to stop though. Have a look and let us know what you find.

Ranger,

Not sure Jim (but I think so). I've never had the opportunity to peek under the hood of an '06 or newer. Should be pretty easy to stop though. Have a look and let us know what you find.

OK...will do.

Mine has suddenly developed a taste for gasoline. :D

It is running as smooth as silk, but fuel consumption has suddenly gone up a little above normal.

Also, the engine fuel shutoff, when decelerating, very seldom works anymore.

You don't really have any engine braking when decelerating from highway speeds.

Up until a week and a half ago.. it was all ok.

I can start a new thread if it would help.

I know EXACTLY when it happened and what I was doing at the time.

I can describe in better detail, if necessary or if it would be helpful.

Posted Image

Ranger,

OK...will do.

It is running as smooth as silk, but fuel consumption has suddenly gone up a little above normal.

I can start a new thread if it would help.

I know EXACTLY when it happened and what I was doing at the time.

I can describe in better detail, if necessary or if it would be helpful.

I'm not sure how to read the multiple windows and if that last reply is still talking about my 01 sls but it does sound like mine. need more info. My wife called me with check engine light on and it had stalled a few times. No codes that mean anything.

Thanks Dave

What codes do you have? I was thinking that the stalling possibly could be related to the CPS (crankshaft position sensors). It's a common problem for your model year, easy to change but can be harder to diagnose because it can take a while before the PCM sets a code. My car started to die at idle and light throttle, eventually it throw a code.

It is also possible that you have a vacuum leak as suggested earlier.

Post your codes, history and current.

What codes do you have? I was thinking that the stalling possibly could be related to the CPS (crankshaft position sensors). It's a common problem for your model year, easy to change but can be harder to diagnose because it can take a while before the PCM sets a code. My car started to die at idle and light throttle, eventually it throw a code.

It is also possible that you have a vacuum leak as suggested earlier.

Post your codes, history and current.

Thanks, will try to get those codes posted tonight.

....Don't forget the air passage for the IAC (Intake Air Control)?

"Idle Air Control".

Ha! Thinking and writing at the same time. Idle of course, was thinking about the intake though :D

Check for a leaky FPR.

Archived