CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 deville radio change now issues

Changed out the factory radio and used a interface to allow for chimes Etc, now the car is showing all types of issues. Sometimes remote lock will not work, dash resets to 000 miles and fuel consumption is zeroed out. At other times with the key off or out the dash and lamps flash at 1/2 light and I hear a relay clicking in the trunk and all types of codes are being set.. I just placed the the factory radio back in and will test. Anyone else gone through this?

You probably have a U network code from removing the radio, read this. I was told that if you remove the OEM radio that it will create all sorts of problems, you are experiencing all sorts of problems. You may need to leave the OEM radio connected or find a way to fool the Class 2 Network, see this

Check for DTC codes that have been set, if you dont know how let us know, we will direct you

All GM Vehicles Using Class 2 Communications Diagnostic Strategy for DTC U1000 or U1255 - kw BCM code EBTCM radio RIM #PIT3154 - (Sep 10, 2004)

All GM Vehicles Using Class 2 Communications Diagnostic Strategy For DTC U1000 or U1255

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

DTC U1000 or U1255 set current or history, with or without other DTCs

Recommendation/Instructions:

DTC U1000 Class 2 Data Link

DTC U1255 Lost Communications

These DTCs set when the control module does not receive a message that it was expecting from another control module, and does not know which control module did not send that message.

If the DTC U1000 or U1255 is set in history with other DTCs set current or history, diagnose the other DTCs first. If the DTC U1000 or U1255 set current, this usually indicates a module that is currently not communicating or a configuration issue. For example, if the control module is configured for an option (ie: Onstar, Keyless Entry, Memory Mirrors, etc.) that the vehicle does not have, it may expect to receive a message regarding this missing feature. This would usually occur due to the control module being recently replaced and incorrectly setup. When the DTC U1000 or U1255 is current, the module that is not communicating may not even be listed on the Tech 2 on the Diagnostic Circuit Check/Class 2 Message Monitor list.

1. If the DTC U1000 or U1255 has set in history without other DTCs, replacing the control module setting the DTC is most likely NOT the solution. The module that has set the code is looking for an input from another module that is not communicating. Since the module did not receive an input that it is expecting to see, it sets a U1000 or U1255 which indicates there was a loss of communications. Look at the customer's complaint (ie: intermittent, erratic tachometer operation); this will probably be a better indication of the control module that is the source of the concern.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

By the way, a workaround I understand is to leave the radio connected to the system

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The first order of business for the young fellow who bought my '98 Eldorado was to install an after market radio. Natch! I warned him he was cruisin' for a bruisin', but his installer insisted there was a module available that would fool the system into believing the O.E.M. radio was still in place. After six weeks of endless problems the installer finally bit the bullet and mounted the original radio chassis in the trunk. End of problems.

These cars are a computer network on wheels and the network gets upset and confused when one of its children is kidnapped. :wipetears

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I considered putting an after-market stereo in mine because the CD player in the OEM one doesn't work. I changed my mind about that after hearing from a few people that it could cause serious issues. I'm wondering though, if I get another stereo the same as mine from another Cadillac and install that, would that create problems as well? It would be an OEM stereo, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference whether or not it came from another car.

big4870885.jpg

I considered putting an after-market stereo in mine because the CD player in the OEM one doesn't work. I changed my mind about that after hearing from a few people that it could cause serious issues. I'm wondering though, if I get another stereo the same as mine from another Cadillac and install that, would that create problems as well? It would be an OEM stereo, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference whether or not it came from another car.

A unit from another OBDI Cadillac should work fine for you; I did that in my '95 Eldorado. In OBDII Caddys it will also work, but you'll need a trip to the dealer to "marry" the replacement radio to the Security System.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I replaced the factory radio and will continue to test, but so far no issues. I like your thought "After six weeks of endless problems the installer finally bit the bullet and mounted the original radio chassis in the trunk", So this would require me to run a cable to the trunk unless anyone has some hints. I believe that keeping the after market radio I would just hook up the speakers, power and antenna lead only. This is my wifes car and the radio was an X-mas present so my options are few!

A unit from another OBDI Cadillac should work fine for you; I did that in my '95 Eldorado. In OBDII Caddys it will also work, but you'll need a trip to the dealer to "marry" the replacement radio to the Security System.

Regards,

Warren

I thought in OBDI Cadillacs the stereo was wired with the security system as well, or do you just mean that it wouldn't require any special programming or anything? I probably won't get to changing it until spring anyway because I have other things to tend to first, but it's good to know ahead of time if I might have any issues.

big4870885.jpg

I thought in OBDI Cadillacs the stereo was wired with the security system as well, or do you just mean that it wouldn't require any special programming or anything?

In OBDII systems the radio's serial number is embedded in the PCM. The PCM gets upset if a radio with a different serial number tries to join the network family. Installing a replacement O.E.M. radio will require the dealer to reprogram the PCM to recognize the new serial number.

OBDI systems (pre '96) are less sophisticated and do not interrogate the radio for its serial number. You can swap in a replacement O.E.M. radio without raising the ire of the PCM.

I still have the O.E.M. base radio from my '95 Eldorado if anyone needs one.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I replaced the factory radio and will continue to test, but so far no issues. I like your thought "After six weeks of endless problems the installer finally bit the bullet and mounted the original radio chassis in the trunk", So this would require me to run a cable to the trunk unless anyone has some hints. I believe that keeping the after market radio I would just hook up the speakers, power and antenna lead only. This is my wifes car and the radio was an X-mas present so my options are few!

I haven't done this myself, but my understanding is the O.E.M. radio gets mounted in the trunk and supplied a power, ground, and computer network connection. All three should already be available in the trunk.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I thought in OBDI Cadillacs the stereo was wired with the security system as well, or do you just mean that it wouldn't require any special programming or anything?

In OBDII systems the radio's serial number is embedded in the PCM. The PCM gets upset if a radio with a different serial number tries to join the network family. Installing a replacement O.E.M. radio will require the dealer to reprogram the PCM to recognize the new serial number.

OBDI systems (pre '96) are less sophisticated and do not interrogate the radio for its serial number. You can swap in a replacement O.E.M. radio without raising the ire of the PCM.

I still have the O.E.M. base radio from my '95 Eldorado if anyone needs one.

Regards,

Warren

Good to know. I have yet to find a replacement for mine. It's the Bose Gold audio system with the built in amps on all speakers, and a cd player/tape deck. All I have found so far are the ones with a tape deck only. Would the '95 be compatible in a '94? I imagine it would since they are both OBDI.

big4870885.jpg

I am going to assume U1L is your system, correct?

U1L-AM/FM stereo cassette

U1R-AM/FM stereo cassette/ CD with Auto Tone (Deville only)

UM5-AM/FM stereo cassette/ CD with Auto Tone, WX, and RDS

Not sure if this will help, Ill keep looking. If the radio is connected via a single cable to the rear, you can probably move the entire cable to the trunk, but I am not sure about if its a single cable. Ill check to see if I can find connector end views

98RadioRear.gif

I am going to assume U1L is your system, correct?

U1L-AM/FM stereo cassette

U1R-AM/FM stereo cassette/ CD with Auto Tone (Deville only)

UM5-AM/FM stereo cassette/ CD with Auto Tone, WX, and RDS

Not sure if this will help, Ill keep looking. If the radio is connected via a single cable to the rear, you can probably move the entire cable to the trunk, but I am not sure about if its a single cable. Ill check to see if I can find connector end views

98RadioRear.gif

Mike,

The drawing you've shown is for the option radio. The drawing for the base radio speaker wiring is here:

BaseRadio.gif

There is no reason to pull the cable back to the trunk; everything is already available there. I would pull ground and switched power off of the power antenna.

PowerAntenna.gif

Class 2 serial data can be borrowed from the (unused) radio amplifier connector (B2 and B3).

RadioAmplifier.gif

ConnectorB2_B3.gif

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

thanks warren

thanks warren

Is welcome, but I was wrong about stealing E&C data from the CD changer. Absent the original radio, there is no way for E&C data to be converted to Class 2 Serial data and sent on to the rest of the network (that is done in the radio). I replaced the third drawing with a suggestion to grab Class 2 serial data from the (unused) radio amplifier connector (terminals B2 & B3).

Posted Image

Tampa cady,

I forgot you wanted the radio connector info. A drawing and legend are attached. For your radio refer to the connections marked "(with UW6)".

Regards,

Warren

RadioConnector.doc

Posted Image

Have you considered having your original radio repaired?

http://www.carstereo...om/cadillac.htm

Would the '95 be compatible in a '94? I imagine it would since they are both OBDI.[/Quote]

I can't answer that, but any decent boneyard can look that up in the blink of an eye.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Have you considered having your original radio repaired?

http://www.carstereo...om/cadillac.htm

Would the '95 be compatible in a '94? I imagine it would since they are both OBDI.[/Quote]

I can't answer that, but any decent boneyard can look that up in the blink of an eye.

Regards,

Warren

I did consider getting it repaired, but would have to have a new cd player put in it. If you look through the cd slot you can see that the player is actually broken or detached from it. I think someone tried to take it out at one point and ended up breaking it.

big4870885.jpg

The radio works fine just does not have the sound of the aftermarket. Remember this was an x-mas present for my wife now I am on the hook to get this to work. I guess the best way is to tone the cables from the radio or add a new cable to make this work. Funny any pictures, like most cars showing where the componetes are located are not avaliable for our cars. You know, here is connector A that goes to xxx!

If I install the radio in the trunk, should I disconnect the speaker outputs from the factory radio or keep them in place when attaching the aftermarket unit.

There is no need to connect speakers to the old radio in the trunk. You only need power, ground and a Class 2 data connection. Leave the old radio powered down with the volume set at minimum.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Here are some more diagrams

1998TrunkBehindRearSeat.gif

(1)Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension (CVRSS) Module

(2)G403

(3)Remote Function Actuator (RFA) Module

(4)Radio Amplifier/Radio Interface Module (RIM)

(5)Rear Compartment Fuse Block

(6)Body Control Module (PZM)

(7)S410

(8)S430

(9)Rear Compartment Relay Block # 4

(10)Rear Compartment Relay Block # 3

(11)Rear Compartment Relay Block # 2

(12)Rear Compartment Relay Block # 1

(13)P400

(14)Rear Compartment Relay Block # 5

(15)S431

(16)Power Door Lock Relay

I really appriciate the help in getting this done wife has been really sick lately and this is something I want to do for her:

I have a few questions to clarify the hook up.

Rear connector B-2 located section 4 of rear trunk area Pins B-2 and B-3 connect to E-6 and F-6 to radio Data line. I can find a ground but assume that the radio needs a steady 12v source to keep memory on the radio, do I need a switchable 12v power source since the radio will be turned off.

I do not have an amp, since I have a standard Tape type Radio the Skematic showing B C-3 Ignition Positive Voltage and A C-3 ground is only avaliable on a optional Amp circuit. Should I grab these from the fuse panel or will it be present somewhere in this area. I will drop the rear panel this weekend and would like to research this ahead of time.

Thanks

Archived