CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

SERVICE RIDE CONTROL: update...

davedog

well, i forgot that I had a manual so i did some reseach and this is what i found:

I have been getting the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message on my screen for several days now, with error I039.

I found out in my manual the the CCR unit located in the trunk has it's own on board diags, so I went to work by shorting two of the wires together, it would make a light blink on the CCR, counted the "blinks" and it it pointing to the Right Rear Strut. I tried plugging/unplugging the sensor on the strut, but this made no difference.

The manual has intructions for trouble shooting by measuring resistance with in that cuirciut, but i haven't had a chance to do this yet. Anyone done this and have any tips?

Also, if the strut IS bad, is there a way to keep the message from poppong up with out disabling the remaining 3 working struts? Just not sure if i'm ready to give up $400 bucks for one of these things when it's not effecting my ride that i can tell...

THANKS FOR THE INPUT!

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Once the strut fails. The system should go into firm mode all the time.

Not many people here are willing to pay $400-600 bucks for a new electronic strut. You really cant feel the change anyway. Passive struts are now available for much less.

The '92 is unique. The STS you can turn off the message via the on board diagnostics. Other '92-94 cars with the SSS/CCR system you can turn off the message by using a relay wired in the trunk @ the module.

All this info is posted in the 'how-to' section.

Davedog,

Glad you found the failed strut. It's most likely leaking. You may want to replace it with a passive one (some 60$) or just leave it alone for a while (furthermore it is rear one). I have got Service CCR message for several years and really do not care, just press temp or average economy buttons to get rid of the message - that's it.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

first off, i tested the resistance and from what i can tell, the error it pointing to the actual strut and not a short in the wiring. Is there a way to tell wether the failure is mechanical or if it is just the actuator failing??

well, i looked in the how to section and could not find the relay method you decribed. If someone could post a link or copy & paste that would be great!

obiously this would method would fool the computer on the RR strut while leaving the other struts working like they should....

my question is, if i use the method in which you disable the CCR "feature" though the DIC this would effect all struts right? Should i do this???

Thanks for your continued support!

-dave

B)

alright, i followed the directions for disabling the CCR feature through the DIC....

the instructions worked PERFECTLY, and I no longer have the message! It is too late to go out on a test drive tonight though, so i will do it in the morning to see if it changed the ride at all.

If anyone who has actually done this method, or has any input on pros/cons of it could let me know that would be great. THANKS AGAIN!

thanks so much! sounds good, like I said before, my ride has never changed so I suspect a actuator failer rather that the strut actually mechanically failing.

so one last question, does doing the whole thing with the DIC actually turn of the CCR, or are the other 3 operational struts still working with the CCR like before and the DIC is just blind to the whole operation :blink:

sorry for so many questions, it's just that any time i do anything to my car i like to understand exactly whats going on. :P

anyway, as always, thanks to all of you!

Once the strut fails. The system should go into firm mode all the time.

as logan explained all your struts now work as passive regardless of disabling the message (sounds like disabling message does not affect the CCR)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

OK, cool :D

thats what i thought you were saying, just wanted to make sure!

thanks all for being patient with my ignorance on the subject :blink:

so WOOHOO no more errors....i hate errors <_>

wow, i just read over this post...i need to go to bed :lol:

still poking around on here...here's a quote:

After I got home, decided to do the IPC overrides for coolant temp and digital mph, and get rid of the "PRESS BRAKE TO SHIFT" message. All went well, except I noticed that the IPC option C didn't have the 128 value for "RSS installed". I looked at the struts and they have the connector, and they seem to ride OK, if a bit wallowy. I hope the previous owner didn't have the override changed to supress "Service Ride Control" messages.

so theres a way to display the mph on the DIC????

and theres a way to remove the press brake to shift???

is this true for my 92 eldo?

what all is the DIC capable of???

sorry, i work on PCs for a living and the DIC fasinates me .......

Archived