CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replace Temp. Sensor??

Hello everyone. Well here's my 2nd post! I replaced the water pump in my 92 Seville about three weeks ago....a wonderful experience:( Everything seemed to be Ok afterwards, but about 4-5 days ago, I noticed the fan running non-stop and my coolant temp. shows -- on the display. I've found the fan runs whenever ignition is on (even when engine is not running). I went under the hood and put pressure on the wiring into the temp. sensor and it quits.....I let off and the fan turns back on. Whadya think?? replace the sensor? should I change out the thermostat as well??

Thanks In Advance,

Drew

check the plug first clean any corrosion off the terminals and ensure good contact before replacing sensor. You might want to tighten up the terminals in the plug with a small pick to get a snug fit with the sensor.

I noticed the fan running non-stop
Hey I have a 1995 cadillac seville sts and my fans will not come on at all

as always in this life some people have too much fan and others do not have fan at all... :lol:

sorry guys, could not resist...

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Hey I have a 1995 cadillac seville sts and my fans will not come on at all. I tested the fans and they are good. Where is this sensor located that turns the fans on at the certain tempature. PLEASE HELP!!!! THANKS.

I am not positive of this but I believe the coolant temp sensor sends temp readings to the PCM and the PCM commands the fans on as well as fan speed.

The fans should always have 12 v + going to them. The PCM, using a quad driver circuit. Provides the ground side of the circuit to the relay.

If fan runs whenever ignition is on (I suppose the engine is cold), the problem can be short between the wires or in the sensor itself. If the wire has no connectiont (or bad connection) to the sensor, display will show very low temperature (around -25F or -40F).

At first, check what temperature the display shows when fan is running. If it shows something like 79-90F on a cold engine and fan is running in the same time, it looks like fan wiring has a short somewhere to the ground.(As Logan says "The fans should always have 12 v + going to them. The PCM, using a quad driver circuit. Provides the ground side of the circuit to the relay.". If the display shows wrong temperature even if engine is cold look this:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15178

Archived