CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Totally Off Topic

Marika

Question About DMSO

Is there any way to test for the presence of DMSO on a surface or object?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I believe that Dimethyl Sulfoxide is one of the more active ingrediants in WD-40. It was once touted as a "linement" for various joints pains, etc - specifically due to ts ability to penetrate skin and other barriers.

There is a huge amount of info on DMSO, but not much as to detection. It may evaporate or otherwise disperse very easily and not present much of a problem.

Without some research, I can not think of a definative, easy surface test to point it out as opposed to another solvent. In is most basic form, DMSO is a very high purity solvent (actually a tree pulp derivitive).

Granted, if a liquid can be sampled and run through a properly setup and calibrated Gas Chromatagraph, then that would be the best bet to detect a given species by its peak. However, GC work is tricky with various columns etc and it helps to know what else might be in the sample. I used to run a GC that continiously sampled 4-stream with up to 9-peaks each (never-ending job).

As I recall, you had noted WD-40 was great for removal of bugs, tar etc. So yu suspect a potential problem with residue? There should be very little residue from DMSO itself, but as you pointed out - it can "motivate" other materials.

Good luck

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

TDK, thanks for the reply.

So what's all this CIA-Spy nonsense from the old days that DMSO was used to transport poisons or other "substances" (unknowingly) into a person. As the story goes, you mix the DMSO with the poison or "substance", apply it to a surface, such as a coffee cup and wait. Allegedly, the DMSO would carry the poison or "substance" into the person's body simply by that person touching the tainted object. If the DMSO evaporates, this means the other stuff mixed with the DMSO just sits on the surface and is unable to "transport" into the person. Yes? No? What gives with this old story?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I believe that Dimethyl Sulfoxide is one of the more active ingrediants in WD-40.  It was once touted as a "linement" for various joints pains, etc - specifically due to ts ability to penetrate skin and other barriers. 

I once heard about an older fellow that swore that spraying WD-40 on his ailing knees really helped him feel better. I LMAO thinking about him squirting this stuff on his joints like the Tin Man in the Wizard of OZ! :lol:

Now you're telling me there is actually some chemicals in there that could actually have been giving him this exact result... I am shocked! :blink: I really would have never believed this. As the old saying goes "you learn something new every day!"

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

How about that old Greek father in "MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING!" He used windex on everything! :D If windex will work as a anti-bacterial, then I guess WD-40 could loosen up stiff joints! :blink: We could be onto something here!

How about that old Greek father in "MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING!" He used windex on everything! :D If windex will work as a anti-bacterial, then I guess WD-40 could loosen up stiff joints! :blink: We could be onto something here!

Ahaha omg that guy was hilarious with his windex. I don't see why it wouldn't work either, it's just odd :> Maybe I'll try some wd-40 on my knee

How about that old Greek father in "MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING!" He used windex on everything! If windex will work as a anti-bacterial, then I guess WD-40 could loosen up stiff joints! We could be onto something here!

Is not it remarkable that Windex is the same color the famous "blue pills" are? :rolleyes: What if it helps those members of fordinfo.com who takes issue with ... well you know ? :lol: WD-40 might help too though... Well, in that case I would rename it WD-80 :lol:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

So folks, note the following:

Relating to DMSO and poison delivery...

start quote

The first quality that struck Dr. Jacob about the drug was its ability to pass through membranes, an ability that has been verified by numerous subsequent researchers.1 DMSO's ability to do this varies proportionally with its strength--up to a 90 percent solution. From 70 percent to 90 percent has been found to be the most effective strength across the skin, and, oddly, performance drops with concentrations higher than 90 percent. Lower concentrations are sufficient to cross other membranes. Thus, 15 percent DMSO will easily penetrate the bladder.2

In addition, DMSO can carry other drugs with it across membranes. It is more successful ferrying some drugs, such as morphine sulfate, penicillin, steroids, and cortisone, than others, such as insulin. What it will carry depends on the molecular weight, shape, and electrochemistry of the molecules. This property would enable DMSO to act as a new drug delivery system that would lower the risk of infection occurring whenever skin is penetrated.

end quote

Since I am a Manager in a Sodium Cyanide Synthesis Facility, I probably need to be quiet about transporting various poisons through various membranes via various solvents, toxilogical effeccts, residues, detection methods, (hello there "carnivore"). :ph34r:

Relating to Windex and disinfectant...

Well, it does have a significant proportion of alcohol - and we should all know about alcohol wipes before needles through the skin to knock out any topical bacteria, etc. ;)

Windex with Ammonia-D probably has a relatively high pH and will remove wax (so avoid from car finishes). If it had a ingrediant label like foods: water would probably be #1 by about 95% (+/- 2%), followed by alcohol, ammonia (whatever D is) detergent, fragence and blue dye.

Windex with Vinegar is probably a low pH and is touted for multiple surfaces. Similar ingrediants but swap the ammonia with vinegar (acetic acid).

Actually this stuff is relatively weak (no nasty hazard label, just keep form kids and pets). You would probably drown - long before any serious health problems. rather doubt that Johnson Wax would market it as a disifectant - but then again stranger things have happened. A new label, color and oder - Voila ! :P

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived