CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Laughing gas in cars not funny, cops warn

Marika

Laughing gas in cars not funny, cops warn

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

By BRIAN ABERBACK

STAFF WRITER

Nitrous oxide is best known as laughing gas, the stuff that puts a grin on those about to go under a dentist's drill.

Add it to a vehicle's fuel system and the driver's reaction might be similar. Push the button on the throttle that releases the chemical compound into the motor and boom! - there's an instant 10 percent to 40 percent increase in horsepower.

Nitrous-oxide systems are legal in some drag races, but police say some street racers and others have been illegally using them on the open road - a potentially fatal mistake.

"It's a volatile fuel additive," said Alpine police Capt. Charles Yannetti, a semiprofessional drag racer. "I've seen situations where it'll actually blow the top of the motor off the car."

Police say a motorcyclist from Harrington Park had a nitrous-oxide system on his bike when he was involved in a crash that injured him and his passenger this past weekend.

John Wardell and Norwood resident Stephanie Makrias were sent flying after the motorcycle collided with a Toyota sedan Saturday night on Route 9W in Piermont, N.Y.

Orangetown police Lt. John McAndrew said a nitrous-oxide system was found on the bike. Excessive speed likely played a part in the accident, which occurred after the northbound motorcycle drifted into oncoming traffic, McAndrew said.

Wardell "couldn't slow down," McAndrew said. "He was going too fast and hit the car head-on."

Wardell was listed in stable condition Tuesday at Westchester County Medical Center in Valhalla, N.Y. Makrias was brought to Nyack Hospital on Saturday but wasn't listed as being a patient there Tuesday, a hospital spokesman said. The extent of her injuries was unknown.

McAndrew didn't know what type of motorcycle Wardell was driving or whether charges would be brought against him for having a nitrous-oxide system. An investigation was continuing.

In New Jersey, driving a vehicle with a nitrous-oxide system violates a statute that prohibits alterations that change the design or performance of a vehicle, said Bergen County police Sgt. Robert Abrahamsen.

In his 23 years on the force, Abrahamsen said, he's never come across a car or motorcycle enhanced with nitrous oxide. Other local and state officers also couldn't recall any incidents involving nitrous-oxide systems.

"That's crazy," Abrahamsen said of enhancing horsepower on North Jersey's clogged roads. "You just touch the button and [the car or motorcycle] is like a rocket ship."

Inexperienced riders might not be able to handle the horsepower boost. That's bad news on a track, much less a highway, Yannetti said.

"Instead of doing 80 miles an hour, all of a sudden you're doing 110," Yannetti said. "The power enhancement is so fast that if you're not an experienced biker or car driver, you're not used to it. You could be in trouble."

Copyright © 2004 North Jersey Media Group Inc.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

In New Jersey, driving a vehicle with a nitrous-oxide system violates a statute that prohibits alterations that change the design or performance of a vehicle, said Bergen County police Sgt. Robert Abrahamsen.

That statute seems to have been taken out of context by the police officer, but I must admit that I've never seen it (the regulation) myself. By that measure, installing sticky tires (an alteration that changes the performance of the vehicle) is illegal in New Jersey? NOS is in some cases a pretty extreme performance-booster, but is that statute really correct? All window tint is illegal? Putting cloth seat covers on is illegal? Adding a small convex mirror to your rear-view is illegal? All of those change the design of the vehicle, so all would be against New Jersey state law???

(not bagging on you Marika, just questioning that statute)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

That statute seems to have been taken out of context by the police officer, but I must admit that I've never seen it (the regulation) myself. By that measure, installing sticky tires (an alteration that changes the performance of the vehicle) is illegal in New Jersey? NOS is in some cases a pretty extreme performance-booster, but is that statute really correct? All window tint is illegal? Putting cloth seat covers on is illegal? Adding a small convex mirror to your rear-view is illegal? All of those change the design of the vehicle, so all would be against New Jersey state law???

(not bagging on you Marika, just questioning that statute)

I haven't seem the statute myself, but I have found that cops "pick and choose" who they ticket in this state.....LOL!! :lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

If this post should prompt any responsable driver to remove one these "laughing gas" systems from their cadillac, I will destroy it for them for free.(even pay shipping

Yes, you are right, they are very dangerous, especially on the open road.

Using a Nitrous Oxide system in a car or motorcycle should be limited to professional track vehicles and bikes only, those that are flatbedded to the track and back to their garage after the races.

I have always argued against racing on public roadways and highways. Too many factors are there to alter the outcome of a race, usually for the worst.

I think ojaieldo meant he would "destroy" the kit by installing it on his car. At least that is what I hope he meant.

Personally I think limiting performance mods on street cars is really ignorant. Where would it stop? Besides, how many accidents do you hear of where the juice was the casue of it? No, stupid people drive careless, get into accidents becasue they don't think first, performance mods or not. Why punish the people who can handle the power?

Also note,

they are telling us that with a nitrous oxide system, you could be riding along on a motorcycle, press a button, and be doing 110mph...I am curious, would that be the throttle button? Anyone who has ridden large displacement motorcycles of today know that with a slight twist of the throttle, a motorcycle will get 110 and beyond rather quickly... What about aftermarket wheels and tires on a car in Jersey! Seems rather silly, the cops and lawmakers, not really handling crime! <_<

I'm almost 52 years old. I've been running N20 since the late 1970's. I run it on big block offshore boats, stock street cars, motorcycles and yes, even a go-cart! Saying that nitrous oxide is unsafe is the same as saying a gun is unsafe. It's not the product, it is the user!! ;)

I've heard that New Jersey has the nickname of Nazi-Jersey....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'm almost 52 years old. I've been running N20 since the late 1970's. I run it on big block offshore boats, stock street cars, motorcycles and yes, even a go-cart! Saying that nitrous oxide is unsafe is the same as saying a gun is unsafe. It's not the product, it is the user!! ;)

Hell yea! You said it :) I have seen a few instances of a no2 can blowing up in someone trunk but I guess it's about the same likelyhood of a propane tank exloding from your grill or your gas tank in your car exploding hehe.. The only problem with nitrous is that it's expensive and it runs out FAST. Otherwise i'd set it up on my car and use it every time i hit WOT :)

>Saying that nitrous oxide is unsafe is the same as saying a gun is unsafe. It's not the product, it is the user!!<

My sentiments exactly. Thankyou Randy, well said.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Poor logic was used in this article, let me summarize:

1. Mororcycle was in an accident

2. Motorcycle had a nitrous system

3. Nitrous makes motorcycles go faster

4. Only reckless speeders get in accidents (assumed)

5. Driver was speeding

6. Therefore the driver was using the nitrous

The article never states that the nitrous was actually used, it was just there. Seems like a stupid reason to write an article.

Poor logic was used in this article, let me summarize:

1. Mororcycle was in an accident

2. Motorcycle had a nitrous system

3. Nitrous makes motorcycles go faster

4. Only reckless speeders get in accidents (assumed)

5. Driver was speeding

6. Therefore the driver was using the nitrous

The article never states that the nitrous was actually used, it was just there. Seems like a stupid reason to write an article.

Ah yes...Our always trustworthy news media..Don't they just impress the hell out of you? <_<

user posted image

Well they have to find something fancy to put in the article.. A simple 'motorcycle was in accident, 2 people flew off, etc.' blah blah

Sounds too redundant.. people get in accidents all the time.....soooooo what's different about this one? ahh he has nitrous! Let's make a big blow up about that in the article so it sounds more interesting! :D

Ah yes...Our always trustworthy news media..Don't they just impress the hell out of you? <_>

Hey, like I always say, "if it doesn't bleed, it doesn't lead". They're merchants, just like anyone else. Doing anything they can to sell you the news. Our local ABC affiliate one time made a big deal on the 5:00 news about how "the FBI thwarted a potentially major terrorist plot in Raleigh". Those were their exact words. Of course, they strung me along until the bottom of the hour, when they finally ran the story, and you know what it was? Some local tree huggers were planning to hide out in the bushes of a local shopping mall and throw rocks at big SUVs, and somebody sang. What a joke. I couldn't believe I wasted an hour of my time listening to their garbage, only to hear them give 3 minutes' fame to a local liberal enviromental posse. :angry:

I've heard that New Jersey has the nickname of Nazi-Jersey....

Nazis AND Fascists......

Seems rather silly, the cops and lawmakers, not really handling crime! <_>

BINGO!! You know, million dollars homes get robbed all the time here in New Jersey, right out in broad daylight too. Go figure.

BB, I just noticed you were the Man From U.N.C.L.E. !! Guess I wasn't paying attention all these months. Your right about Detroit traffic! When we go to The Dream Cruise every year, the two stretches that scare me the most are, the freeway from just south of Detroit to Pontiac, and the damned Pennsylvania Turnpike!!! :blink:

And to think that all the freakin tree huggin, liberal hippies lived in Komifornia!

I guess those freaks need a state or two to live in here on the east coast...Between New Jersey and New York-they have some of the most insane laws, but alas, dont forget about Komifornia....There are only 2 kinds of people living in that state, FRUITS AND NUTS!!!! :angry:

>, but alas, dont forget about Komifornia....There are only 2 kinds of people living in that state, FRUITS AND NUTS!!!! :angry:<

Now, c'mon Scott, have mercy on us conservative gear-heads that still populate the state of California! (If that's what you're refereing to...) We're the glue in the fabric that still holds this state, and keeps it from driving off the'left coast' altogether! ;)

user posted image

Now, c'mon Scott, have mercy on us conservative gear-heads that still populate the state of California!

Man, I've got a lot of family out there, and they're just plain whacked out! After spending just a week out there, I must look like Bob D's avatar picture. GET ME OUTTA HERE!!! :o

Now, c'mon Scott, have mercy on us conservative gear-heads that still populate the state of California!

Man, I've got a lot of family out there, and they're just plain whacked out! After spending just a week out there, I must look like Bob D's avatar picture. GET ME OUTTA HERE!!! :o

j/c, that 'likeness' has nothing to do with the left coast, it's more from frequenting places for the last thirty years that resemble Dr. Frankensteins castle... :ph34r:

user posted image

I thought the article sounded pretty ignorant. An obvious attempt at sensationalism by the press. Must have been a slow day.

80 to 110 quickly because of nitrous.....LOL....I have news for them. My STOCK FJR1300 without NOS will go from 80 to 150 so fast it will scare you.....er...me.... Most any current performance street bike will make 80 to 110 a piece of cake. Detroit freeway traffic runs at 80 to 90 so jumping past 100 on a streetbike to slot into a hole in traffic is pretty common. No need for NOS for that...and anyone that compares that type of performance to NOS obviously has never tried NOS....LOL

Saying NOS is inherently "unsafe" is nonsense. So is a Z06 Corvette I suppose.....just because it will run 170 MPH if you hold the pedal down....

Those press articles always make me laugh. Usually they say something like "...the car/motorcycle/truck he/she was driving went out of control/crossed the median/drove into the opposing lane/ran off the road/etc..." as if the vehicle was responsible for the maneuver instead of the driver. Duh....

Hey now, even the caddy's (at least my sts) will go from 80 to over 100 a lot faster than most people think. I was following a guy in a corvette the other day and he slammed the gas to go around someone so i followed him and suprisingly stayed with him and to my suprise I was going over 130 and i'm sure it was less than 10 seconds ago that i was going 80. I guess any second the speed limiter would have kicked in (i think it's 135 or something isn't it) but I didn't test it .. some other time I will :>

OH and it gets better! Have any of you heard of the driver in Pennsylvania that had his license revoked after his doctor turned him in? He admitted to his doctor that he drank "more than a 6 pack" of beer every day. It seems that in PA, a doctor is required to inform the State police of anyone suspected as being a substance abuser. Now, it doesn't say that the guy was drinking while driving. He was not tested or arrested for DUI. Nothing like that. Just a patient trying to be truthful to his doctor. Not all states have that requirement. I think it's just a case of interpreting the laws to suit the situation, in the posted example. I bet sales of low restriction muffler systems are way off in NJ.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived