CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bose Speaker problems

mike

Hello,

I have a issue I was pondering about the other day. My rear passneger side Bose speaker is absolutely fried in my 94 STS, the sound quality is horrid comming from this speaker (snaps, crackles, farts). Now what I was thinking of was:

- I have a small amp, enough to power 2 6x9's

Now, i'm under the impression that the GM deck, sends out a weak signal, that must be amplified. Is this true?

What im wondering is, can I cut the link to the Bose speaker, feed it to my small amp, and then replacing the BOSE with an aftermarket 6x9.

Im wondering if this will work? I do enjoy great sound quality, but at this point in time, anything would sound better then that current speaker. (I also am not prepared to dish out the amount of money they want for a repair/used Bose unit here in Toronto, Canada).

same thing happened to my paasenger side speaker three years ago (snaps, crackles, farts :rolleyes: ) then i smelled smoke and simply disconnected that speaker. In a few months another passenger speaker went the same direction. Disconnected it as well. The door speakers were good for a while , but recently showed the same simptoms. BOSE is not reliable, and instead of investing in repairs it would be a better idea to replace them with more reliable though less expensive system.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

BOSE is not reliable, and instead of investing in repairs it would be a better idea to replace them with more reliable though less expensive system.

:blink: The Bose system in my '96 Seville is fine after 8 years.... :)

You can have the speaker amps rebuilt and you'll be back in operation. Contact a Delco radio repair center for details. Your local GM dealer can tell you where they send their radios for repair.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hello,

I have a issue I was pondering about the other day. My rear passneger side Bose speaker is absolutely fried in my 94 STS, the sound quality is horrid comming from this speaker (snaps, crackles, farts). Now what I was thinking of was:

Now, i'm under the impression that the GM deck, sends out a weak signal, that must be amplified. Is this true?

What im wondering is, can I cut the link to the Bose speaker, feed it to my small amp, and then replacing the BOSE with an aftermarket 6x9.

Im wondering if this will work? I do enjoy great sound quality, but at this point in time, anything would sound better then that current speaker. (I also am not prepared to dish out the amount of money they want for a repair/used Bose unit here in Toronto, Canada).

Hi Mike,

I just got off the horn with United Radio 1-800-634-8606 in Syracuse, NY and talked with Rusty in repairs. He says popping, farting, hissing, crackling is almost always the amp farting out and not the speaker itself. The rear 6x9's are bolted right to the amps. Unless the speaker has sun damage and has seperated (pulled away) then most likely the amp is shot. They charge $95 per amp and turn around time is 1-2 days. If you need to have the actual speaker repaired it's $90 per speaker. Same turn around time. They use and repair with only OEM parts. I've had my Bose head unit repaired there as well as other parts from other vehicles and I know the owners. Great facility and I highly recommend them. Below is the link to United Radio's site. Check them out and good luck. Let us know how you make out when it's all said and done.

http://www.unitedradio.com/

-kg

207,000 miles

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Now what I was thinking of was:

You're not the first to attemp this and it appears that many who have were sorry they did and ended up shelling out for a whole new system. Just remember that you're driving a caddy and not chevette hatchback. $95 is a small price to pay to have it done right and it comes with a 1 year warranty. Lets do the math here. $95 divided by 365 days comes to.....(let me get my calculator)..... 26 cents a day. If you ask me that's a pretty small price to pay for peace of mind. My 2 cents.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I dont want to replace the whole system, just that speaker.

I replaced a popped rear Bose speaker in my moms 98 Acura TL, and it sounded fine. But then again that car had one main amp if memory serves me right.

The only reason im hesitant to do it on my car, is that I know these amps come bolted to the speaker.

Will an aftermarket amp, read the signal that comes from the GM Deck?

you can usually find the Bose speaker/amp set-ups on eBay fairly cheaply...

Mike,

E-Bay is one place to check although I'm not the biggest fan of it. But it does serve its purpose. Another idea is to contact some of the people on this board that just had there caddys totalled in an accident. I believe there were 3 in the past 30 days that might be beyond reasonable repair. They just might sell you their speakers..... who knows. I might try that first and see what turns up. Then I might try e-bay but you'd better get one heck of a deal to offset the potential headaches that you could incure. Do the numbers. I would at least call United Radio and see what they say. Bunch of very friendly helpful people there. Just remember, that Bose head unit alone runs $300-400 used. They don't sell it for that much because no one wants it. Get the correct setup for it. Just my suggestion. I'm anxious to hear what you come up with.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

LOL

Just when my fog light broke, and speaker blew....some luck has finally come my way..

Went down to the Auto wreckers today, pulled one out of a 95 STS, and the guy at the desk said $5 bucks (Canadian too) LOL.

I think im going to head back tommorow for a Drivers Side Fog light (3rd one now to be exact)... maybe my luck has finally started to switch

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreaciate it!

Mike

Anyone know what hte Colors are on the speaker wires?

I just pulled hte old one out, im going to play around with it

I see

Yellow ,Orange, Purple, and Black wires

Great find Mike.....lucky *astard (heh just kidding). I doubt anyone is going to be able to match up different colors wires if they're different from model year but who knows. I think you have the right idea. A little experimentation on low volume should do the trick.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

im almost positive that you can use an external amp. I'd just get it repaired though, heh.. you amplify that one speaker and its gonna be louder than the rest.. seen them for $75 bucks repaired on the net.. not to mention, you wont have the ugly power / ground wires all over

Thanks alot guys!

Ill play around with it tonight

STS_SCOTT I checked on those fog lights today, but the passenger side was gone already, and the drivers side broke into 3 pieces when I went to pull the screws out.

Archived