CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Unidentified Coolant Leak

Here are the two nuts, right above the waterpump cover attaching the black shroud. Those two nuts are screwed on to two bolts that hold the WP Belt tensioner in place.

WaterPumpenginemount13.jpg

And here is the bolt, highlighted in green

WaterPumpandRadiator003.jpg

Keep in mind this is from a 96

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Ah. Mine doesn't have a shroud. Instead, I have that irritating, plastic spark plug wire guide/guard that runs over and across all that. I hate that thing. It's such a PITA to get off and back on...the wires never want to go back into their slots right, and you can't close it unless they do or you risk pinching them and cutting them....then getting it on without it hitting the belt... I'd rather have a shroud to fight with. <_<

big4870885.jpg

You have no shroud covering the water pump pulley and belt? I wonder if someone didn't remove it and not replace it either intentionally or otherwise.

Ranger, she does, its part of the spark plug conduit

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You have no shroud covering the water pump pulley and belt? I wonder if someone didn't remove it and not replace it either intentionally or otherwise.

Ranger, she does, its part of the spark plug conduit

Yeah. I hate it. There has to a better way to route the wires...but I'm sure they are there for a reason.

big4870885.jpg

Ok. I want to make a note here first that it is currently 16 degrees outside where I live. I spent about 45 minutes under the hood of my car trying to figure out how to loosen the tension on the tensioner pulley, so that I could check it. It has some solid plastic guard thing around the pulley itself that I can't get off, so that I can't get a breaker bar or anything in it. I couldn't loosen the tension at all. All I succeeded in doing was finding out that the pulley has some side-to-side play in it, which I am guessing it shouldn't. Also, looking at it from straight above, the belt is cocked at an angle compared to the pulley. Judging by that alone, I think the tensioner pulley may be the problem, but I won't know unless I can get that stupid plastic thing off it to pull the tension off the pulley and actually check it out. I spent an hour after I came inside looking for something on here, or somewhere, to tell me how to get that guard thing off. If no one knows what I am talking about, I will take a picture of it in the morning and post it. If someone DOES know what I am talking about, please tell me how it comes off....

For the record, mine looks nothing like the one in the pics BBF posted.

big4870885.jpg

I officially HATE winter in New York. I've decided I'm going to go ahead and just get a new tensioner pulley and belt and change them both. I'm having a little trouble finding someone who carries JUST the pulley, rather than the entire tensioner, but I'll keep working on that.

In the meantime, I decided to brave the snowstorm here and go try to get the one off my car. I cannot, for the life of me, figure it out. I'm not stupid (at least I don't think I am) so I must be missing something here. Here's what I am looking at:

tpulley1.jpg

tpulley2.jpg

After about 15 minutes under there trying to figure it out, the wind slammed the hood of my car down on my head, leaving a pretty good sized cut, so I decided today probably isn't a good day for this....

Anyway, The guard thing I mentioned previously is the thing covering both sides of the pulley. When I knocked on it it sounded like plastic, but I can't figure out how it comes off, if it does at all. I am most likely overlooking something simple here... Any suggestions?

Just for the heck of it, Here's winter in NY, at least today...

snow.jpg

And if it weren't for the gash on the top of my head, I'd probably still be out there....

I love this car. :D

big4870885.jpg

If I remember right there is not alot of tension on that pulley, you can release the pressure by just pushing up on it. You might be able to stick a large screwdriver under it and pry up. This will let you remove the belt from the large pulley. I do not think the plastic cover comes off.

I am going to take my chances and try driving it to the garage my brother works at tomorrow. It's heated, so I can maybe get some work done on it while I'm there. I have a hard time with some of this stuff...I had surgery on my left hand a couple months ago, and I'm left handed, so hopefully my brother can give me a hand with it. While I'm there I'm pulling the manifold cover off to check out the MAP sensor. I just hope it makes it there, since this will be my first time driving it since it has been down and out. If nothing else, at least I can get the new belt on since I still haven't found anyone that carries this pulley. It JUST started squeaking a few days ago, and the car hasn't been driven at all since then. Given that, I would assume that my chances of it just randomly exploding (the pulley bearing) within a few days of driving it are pretty slim, right?

big4870885.jpg

Archived