CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GRRR, RKE programming woes...

wake

I picked up a spare keyless entry fob off of ebay and finally got my shop mauals for my 98 ETC... I thought fine, now time to program the fob, wrong...

Although the shop manuals list directions for programming the fob to the car, the directions are wrong...

In diagnostics mode, the directions state to go to the RFA section and select the override function which should give me the option to program the fobs... The only problem is that under the RFA section there is no override option, only, "codes" and "reset codes"...

I guess there is no way around needing a tech2 to program this thing???

I got an ebay key fob cause my other one would barely open the door.

Took BOTH 1 & 2 fobs to the dealership & in less than 5 Min. they were programed at no charge. I didnt buy the car from them either. I think you need to take both the #1. & #2 fobs when they program them.

there is wire in the trunk of my car which should be grounded and while it is grounded you should press some buttons on your both remotes. despite i never tried it it sounds pretty straightforward procedure.

BTW it takes some 2 minutes to fix bad buttons on your old transmitters. I can send a picture to show how I did it.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The 1991 ground wire in trunk was long gone by '96.

The '96-97 used a 2 year only remote. 4 part #s available will work.

'98 used a even newer remote...something like ending in a 444 or 443....

Are you sure you have the correct remotes?

'98 used a even newer remote...something like ending in a 444 or 443....

Are you sure you have the correct remotes?

Yes, the problem isn't getting the remotes to be recognized (I don't even get that far), it's getting the computer into the, "right" diagnostics learning mode... The DIC shows no option for "RFA override" like my Helm manual shows, only options, "Codes" and, "Clear Codes"... So my only options from the dashboard looks to be reading and resetting codes...

I guess I'll just have my friend bring home his Tech2... I doubt I'd get much cooperation from the local Caddy dealer...

Yes, AutoZone does provide 'free' scans. That being said...they are using PDA based software. PCM read only stuff....no enhanced codes.

To program the remotes you would need a factory Tech2. Or a scanner with GM body bidirectional software.

This GM Tech2 is ours....

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/376867...70_plot_010.jpg

Archived