CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water in the interior

Hi!

I was wondering why the glass has been frozen from inside and found out that my rear right carpet is wet between the battery and the passenger seat.

Never had this problem, but the day before everything was frozen I had a passenger in the rear.

Is it possible if the window hasn't been closed perfectly, that so much water can flow into the interior? Maybe he didn't close it all the way up because most newer cars I know automaticly closes the window all the way up by pressing the button once.

Chris

Does your car have a sunroof? If it does, it is possible that the rear sunroof drains are plugged.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It has! how can I check that and clean it up?

Now I lifted the carpet and could see that everything is under water!!! Is it complicated getting the whole carpet out to dry it?

edit:

I found all 4 holes for the water to escape and tested them. The water from the rear sunroof drains are good, water comes out from behind the rear wheel.

But when I tested the ones in the front, the one on the driver side doesn't work at all and the drain on the passenger side leads some water to the ground and the rest of the water is flowing out directly where the rear passengers carpet should be. What can I do now??

It has! how can I check that and clean it up?

Now I lifted the carpet and could see that everything is under water!!! Is it complicated getting the whole carpet out to dry it?

edit:

I found all 4 holes for the water to escape and tested them. The water from the rear sunroof drains are good, water comes out from behind the rear wheel.

But when I tested the ones in the front, the one on the driver side doesn't work at all and the drain on the passenger side leads some water to the ground and the rest of the water is flowing out directly where the rear passengers carpet should be. What can I do now??

I have seen it recommended on here to take some weed whip lines and feed them through to clear the tube out.

The rear ones drain out the trunk, when I poured water in mine they would seem to drain ok, but when it rained heavy they didn't drain quick enough and I got water inside. You might want to open the trunk and clear the rubber tubes, they tend to fill up with mud and pebbles.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I've cleaned the tubes in the trunk, but they were as good as new. When I blow air or water trough it, it works great.

Where are the ones in the front located? How can I reach them?

The one on the drivers side doesn't work at all, so I cannot put anything in the drain.

You need to remove the rubber fittings that snap into the trunk pan and clean them out very well. Reinstall them and you should be fine. The fronts are hidden near the front subframe.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Wasn't a big deal to clean the ones in the trunk, but I'm still searching for the ones in the front.

Do you have a picture where they are located? Behind the front wheel splash cover? Or can i reach them from the inside if I remove the carpet?

I could find the front drains. They are behind the splash shields. The left one was stuck and after cleaning it works very well.

The one on the right side isn't connected all the way up. I could easily take out a tube with a lenght of about 10 inches. How can I connect that tube to the rest of the drain?

I have removed the passenger side front carpet, some covers but couldn't find the connector. When I pour some water into the sunroof hole, I can see it flowing out right under the glove box. To remove everything there would be a stressful job without knowing if I can connect it there.

I now have clogged the sunroof drain on the front passenger side, maybe the whole water can flow out through the other 3 drains? Better than having water flowing directly into the passenger room. What do you think?

I could find the front drains. They are behind the splash shields. The left one was stuck and after cleaning it works very well.

The one on the right side isn't connected all the way up. I could easily take out a tube with a lenght of about 10 inches. How can I connect that tube to the rest of the drain?

I have removed the passenger side front carpet, some covers but couldn't find the connector. When I pour some water into the sunroof hole, I can see it flowing out right under the glove box. To remove everything there would be a stressful job without knowing if I can connect it there.

I now have clogged the sunroof drain on the front passenger side, maybe the whole water can flow out through the other 3 drains? Better than having water flowing directly into the passenger room. What do you think?

It's not quantity that will be affected, it's the angle of the car when it's raining. seems from what you said, you will need to make sure your front passenger side should always be kept higher if you suspect rain. - otherwise water will pool there, & when you drive, water will spill down from the sunroof collection pan onto the driver & passenger (as if all your drains are clogged).

Thats the problem. I thought maybe the water will flow out on the passenger side rear drain when I start to drive and not too much water will pool on the clogged front drain because at a certain level it will just flow the way back or to the drivers side where it can easily escape. I'll see how great it works, for the moment it's better than having the water flowing directly into the drivers cabin.

If I just knew where to find the connector for the tube that is coming out from behind the front wheel splash shield and what things I have to remove to be able to reach it...

Feed a long length of nylon weed trimmer line down through the front drain until you see it at the splash shield. Then drop the headliner to access the connection at the sunroof. Disconnect the tube there and then slide the drain tube down until you have enough length to reconnect the tube. The nylon lin will act as a guide. Then push the reconnected assembly back up and reconnect it to the sunroof.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

That's a good idea, I'll try it. Thank you!

But if there is a hard-plastic connector piece between the tubes (like in the trunk), I don't think I'll be able to pull it through?! Guess I'll just have to try it.

The front passenger drain works now!!! :)

I've fed a flexible cable through the hole in the sunroof-frame until it came out from behind the splash shield, connected the small tube that was loose to the flexible cable, sprayed some Wd40 at the end which needed to be connected with the rest of the drain-tube and pulled it up. Needed some patience but finally I could reconnect the tube. And because I couldn't see if I was successfull I tried it with some water... Now it flows directly to the exit after the splash shield and absolutely no water in the interior.

A fried of mine will borrow me an air dehumidifier (I hope thats the correct translation for "Luftentfeuchter" :))

Thanks everyone for the help!

The front passenger drain works now!!! :)

I've fed a flexible cable through the hole in the sunroof-frame until it came out from behind the splash shield, connected the small tube that was loose to the flexible cable, sprayed some Wd40 at the end which needed to be connected with the rest of the drain-tube and pulled it up. Needed some patience but finally I could reconnect the tube. And because I couldn't see if I was successfull I tried it with some water... Now it flows directly to the exit after the splash shield and absolutely no water in the interior.

A fried of mine will borrow me an air dehumidifier (I hope thats the correct translation for "Luftentfeuchter" :))

Thanks everyone for the help!

Hopefully, you got it fully connected. Keep an eye on things for awhile just to make sure. Running a dehumidifier is a good idea to rid the interior of any moisture.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I hope it will stay connected, but I have a good feeling. The drain works well and I could feel that the small tube is going "over" the main-tube and pulled it as far as possible. Pulling on the small tube to test the connection did work, didn't come out. But I will for sure keep an eye on it, a wet carpet isn't very nice!

I don't want to remove the seats, center console and everything... my friend told me that the dehumidifier will work great without removing everything, I'll just have to lift the carpet, close all doors and windows and let it work over night.

I hope it will stay connected, but I have a good feeling. The drain works well and I could feel that the small tube is going "over" the main-tube and pulled it as far as possible. Pulling on the small tube to test the connection did work, didn't come out. But I will for sure keep an eye on it, a wet carpet isn't very nice!

I don't want to remove the seats, center console and everything... my friend told me that the dehumidifier will work great without removing everything, I'll just have to lift the carpet, close all doors and windows and let it work over night.

if you can get your hands on an air compressor with a spray tip, you can use that to dry the carpet & underlaying. you'll need a few dry towels to absorb the water mist as it transfers from the carpet as you spray the air. also, you will probably get lot's of ground sand & dirt out of the carpet as well.

I've used a heater and towels to get rid of most water, but the carpet is still wet... I don't have much tools to dry a carpet, but I'll try to get them :)

Until then the car is in my garage with all doors open and the carpets liftet up to get the air circulating.

You can try a wet/dry vac. If you don't have one, you can take it to your nearest car wash and use theirs. I don't have a sun roof but several of my friends have them and they all leak and this is what we use to dry out the carpet. Or start the dry out process.

Sean M.

1997 Cadillac DeVille

I have now the dehumidifier working in the car. It can hold 4 litres of water. (It's a really big one, weight 40kg) Tomorrow I will check the carpet if it is still wet and go to a vac-cleaner if needed. After all I will also check the sunroof of my BMW, don't want to do this again.

Archived