CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Octane booster

careldo

Hello ladies and gents,

I was in my favourite auto parts store yesterday just looking at all the cool stuff and came across some octane booster that made all kinds of claims on the bottle.

So i was wondering if anyone has tried these types of products and what were the results if any.

careldo

Generally, octane booster does not work in the tests I have seen. When it says on the bottle "boosts octane by 4 points" that in reality means 0.4 points, so 93 octane fuel might go to 93.4 octane fuel. Complete waste of money.

Here is an example result from http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/gas.html

When tests were performed using 98 and 94-octane fuel, even the two best products from the previous tests produced a disappointing 1.5 to 2 point maximum increase. The remaining four street-legal octane boosters showed less than a .5 point increase. Those products designated for off-road use only didn’t fare any better than the street-legal products. Subsequent tests where the dosage of octane booster was doubled, tripled, and even quadrupled produced only minimal improvements in octane, regardless of the base octane number of the test gas. In fact, quadrupling the treatment rate of the most powerful additive produced only a 3.5 point increase in octane when added to 98 premium, resulting in a cost of $3.25 a gallon.

Generally, if you need higher octane than is available at the pump you need to fix something.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I used to use that stuff (104+ I beleive was the name of it) and I'm inclined to agree with the above post. If you added enough cans there was some benefit but then again the price per tank full goes up accordangly. If you're inclined, try some unleaded avation gas or racing fuel. Be advised that neither of these are street legal but it will add some boost to the tank.

Jim White

Cam2 is 100 octane for the most part and costs roughly $4+gal. If a tiny can of alcohol that cost $4 is gonna make my entire tank of gas 104 octane, everyone would buy it. It is useless unless you slam a whole can in your motorcycle or something. Now the Moroso stuff you buy at performance shops does work but it aint cheap and will eat your gaskets if not designed to run it. Plus do NOT spill it on your paint.

Last year I ran my Vette down at the track. I dumped 5 gals of 112 octane Sunoco purple in her on a very low tank. When I switched back to 93 I had to retard my timing 13 degrees after adjusting it at the track. Suff works but is also $6/gallon.

Archived