CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1994 Cadillac DeVille: trunk will not close

blueduke1959

My trunk will no longer close completely. I've researched posts here and have read posts about motors, switches, etc and was wondering if there was a way to manually engage them just so I can close the lid? It's Dec 24 and all the garages in my area close at noon today or didn't open at all. i want to know (I AM NOT a mechanical genius) where the motor is located along with any switch I could possibly engage. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

If you mean the electronic pull-down, you can take off the pull-down part, take it apart, then manually 'screw down' the D-loop arm. Leave it unplugged when you put it back on the car. Then the trunk should close properly & latch in the closed position.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

My trunk will no longer close completely. I've researched posts here and have read posts about motors, switches, etc and was wondering if there was a way to manually engage them just so I can close the lid? It's Dec 24 and all the garages in my area close at noon today or didn't open at all. i want to know (I AM NOT a mechanical genius) where the motor is located along with any switch I could possibly engage. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Sometimes the lower switch becomes stuck in the wrong position. The small tab should be under the tab on the large lever when the trunk is in the open position.

Most of the time, the upper latch switch goes bad - it is an easy fix. Sometimes, the wires along the trunk hinge break. Do you have a volt meter so I can help you through the diagnosis?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks for the info guys. Now hopefully you can help a dummy out even further.

1. Where is the pull down mechanism to take loose?

2. I do not have a volt meter. Would AutoZone or some place similar check it? I know they have the thing to read "Check Engine" codes.

Thanks in advance for all your help

You really need a volt-ohm meter to check the continuity of the upper switch. Unplug the switch and connect an ohm meter across the switch termanals. The meter should reas zero ohms in one switch position and infinite ohms in the other switch position. If it does, the switch is good. You could try Autozone to see if someone there can use a ohm meter but I would call them first as all they seem to know how to do is look up parts.

Does the latch not retract when the trunk is closed or does the latch not extend when the trunk is opened? From your description, it sounds like the latch does not retract.

If you are not good at disassembling things, I would not recommend taking apart the pulldown...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

first, make sure there is not crud and sand in the trunk where the contacts are for the mechanism. when mine stopped working, the dealer wanted close to $600 to "replace the motor & switch". I took it home & vaccumed the trunk, and took a wet cloth & cleaned the contacts, and it has been fine since.

Archived