CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New 300

Logan

In Florida right now...

Got to see FIL new company car....chrysler 300. Not a Hemi.

Anyway, FIL gets ready to leave today....key wont work...works ok in the door but not the ignition cylinder.

Some phone calls etc....July 5th....little Chrysler 800 # support, no dealers open......hmmm

Hand the FIL the wifes Saturn VUE.....it runs. Still have the Cadillc here. He is on his way...

Crash course in Chrysler tech....car has a Mercedes steering column. Anyway, take some parts off. Can now fool the car into starting and going into gear...its drivable.

The complete lock cylinder and housing will have to be replaced. It can be fixed here if Chrysler will provide the parts.....will be calling them Tuesday morning.

Car was picked up last Thursday.....400 miles on the clock.

In factory speak.....this is a 'walk home' failure.

In addition....the passenger window will go down....but not up.

I drove one about 2 or 3 months as a new rental (6-miles on it) about 2,000-miles from home.

It was not a hemi either, but I "drove it like I stole it". It got some hard looks and questions. Like the previous post - It DOES resemble a Checker Cab !

As far as durability... I crested a tall driveway and the bottom rocker panel scraped and "completely jettisioned" itself from the car (kinda amazing really). "She who must be obeyed" also came a little unglued when she saw the entire rocker panel on the grass alongside the car as she opened the door.

I gathered up all the color-coordinated plastic push-in plate parts and stashed the rocker panel over the seats. Went the local dealer and got some of the black plastic pop-rivets for the fender-wells (which also imploded).

While there, the salesmen came out and asked her how she liked it (not a good choice right then boys...) She let the know that it was a POS in every detail and our Big Red Dog - 1994 Caddy would drag it backwards without even trying hard. She added that the ride was not as good as that 10-year old car and if this car couldn't take a few little bounces, then it better stay home (she's rode with me a number of times when the Caddy has "got air at speed"). To say that the salesmen were backing up into their respective cubicles - is an understatement.

Well, it took me about 2-hours that night at the motel room - mixing isocyanate and touch-up paint with some finger-nail board filing to re-manufacture all the abs-plastic plastic push plates (including 1 partially-fabricated from a thin plastic key fob). It took me another 2-hours the next day to assemble the parts, such that everything was lined up and looked OK (including my re-manufactured push plates). Borrowed a pop-rivet gun for the fender wells (hard to eject the stubs).

Ideally, if I had the Hemi - perhaps it could have launched itself over the driveway peak and landed on all four tires at once. With all that fine German enginnering, it might have relieved itself of even more body panels and other parts I suppose...

Hey, I don't have anything against Dodges. She even drives a Neon, but only because she liked the cupholders best and could see out the back window...

But a Chrysler 300 ain't quite a Caddy. :D

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

My neighbor just got one...Nice body, but the interior just feel cheap to me. He got the upperclass V6. The Bentley frontend is what grabbed my attention. The only way I would buy it is if that was 5th, 6th, or 7th car...which probably means never.

One of the attorneys in my office just dumped his '97 STS for the 300. He said to me, "it's called the poor man's Bentley" I said, just wait, it might be called a poor man's Bentley, but it's still a Chrysler and the only poor man around here will be you once you have to start repairing it outside of its warranty....LOL!

I never liked Chryslers. Period.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I'll have to admit to liking this car from a distance, and intend to test drive one soon. Of course, my goal would be to recreate "Black Beauty" from the Green Hornet TV series with it... which I believe was an original Chrysler 300 to begin with. I keep telling my friends... imagine how great that car would look with rocket launchers mounted in the front end. If someone was to give me the money, I'd probably buy one. Otherwise, I'll stick with my Caddy just fine...

Talked to the dealer in Pensacola this morning.....20 miles away...

No parts available on the shelf.....but could be shipped in...

We had the car towed in to Pensacola about 8:30 this morning....I guess its their baby now.

One of my engineers was interested in a new 300C. He brought in the marketing literature and I felt, at the time, it had nice lines....

However, he rented a non-hemi, and I have to admit, it looked quite ugly when I saw it in the "real". It looks like a big shoebox with radiused corners...., of course its all in the eye of the beholder..., he likes it....

The interior in pretty nice....

In Florida right now...

Got to see FIL new company car....chrysler 300. Not a Hemi.

Anyway, FIL gets ready to leave today....key wont work...works ok in the door but not the ignition cylinder.

Some phone calls etc....July 5th....little Chrysler 800 # support, no dealers open......hmmm

Hand the FIL the wifes Saturn VUE.....it runs. Still have the Cadillc here. He is on his way...

Crash course in Chrysler tech....car has a Mercedes steering column. Anyway, take some parts off. Can now fool the car into starting and going into gear...its drivable.

The complete lock cylinder and housing will have to be replaced. It can be fixed here if Chrysler will provide the parts.....will be calling them Tuesday morning.

Car was picked up last Thursday.....400 miles on the clock.

In factory speak.....this is a 'walk home' failure.

In addition....the passenger window will go down....but not up.

The Chrysler elecvtrical problems are starting early.......

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I really must applaud Chrysler for pushing the design envelope, even if it is 180 degrees out from Caddy.

The fact is - we're talking about it! This is a definitive success by most design - marketing teams. The 'ole 300 was looking like just another "melted candy bar" design effort.

The most striking design of the new 300 for me anyway, was not the Bentlly/Checker Cab front end, but the "chopped windows". I was thinking "George Barris" school of design.

I had a hard time figuring out how this distinctive, chopped look was achieved, but not too difficult to egress. Well OK, I do recall hanging up my heels on on the extra wide door siles...

Anyway, although the bottom of the window is extra tall, the armrest is normal height inside. The top inside door trim might also extend into the roof just a bit more than usual to clear entry (kinda like when the nice Officer helps you clear your head when you're cuffed and stuffed into the back seat). ;)

I really must applaud Chrysler for pushing the design envelope, even if it is 180 degrees out from Caddy.

The fact is - we're talking about it! This is a definitive success by most design - marketing teams. The 'ole 300 was looking like just another "melted candy bar" design effort.

The most striking design of the new 300 for me anyway, was not the Bentlly/Checker Cab front end, but the "chopped windows". I was thinking "George Barris" school of design.

I had a hard time figuring out how this distinctive, chopped look was achieved, but not too difficult to egress. Well OK, I do recall hanging up my heels on on the extra wide door siles...

Anyway, although the bottom of the window is extra tall, the armrest is normal height inside. The top inside door cutout might also extend into the roof just a bit more than usual to clear entry (kinda like when the nice Officer helps you clear your head when you're cuffed and stuffed into the back seat). ;)

To clairify.....it was not a electrical failure....it was a failure of the key cylinder /lock assembly.....mercedes column...but it was reall the ignition tumbler.

Or in in German speak:

.....it zu erklären war nicht ein elektrischer Ausfall....it war ein Ausfall der Schlüsselzylinder/Verriegelung.....

Hey - for you kids out there, it wasn't an Imperial Crown, it was a Crown Imperial!

Or in in German speak:

.....it zu erklären war nicht ein elektrischer Ausfall....it war ein Ausfall der Schlüsselzylinder/Verriegelung.....

und zu übersetzen Dodge sprechen zie: (re-translated to Dodge-talk)

"The goll-durn lock thingy is busted!!"

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

• 4 weeks later...

I work partially for Chrysler near the plant in brampton ontario, where they make the 300 and the magnum. This is all i have to say: Chrysler has had an offsite repair facility set up for the past seven months and have repaired almost 15,000 units with defects straight off the line.

P.S. Wait until the tire problems start, you'll know when it happens.

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Archived