CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A usefull toy

My county library system purchased several of these devices under a state wide inititive to promote energy efficient use of household appliances. You can also find this meter on Amazon and eBay among others.

http://www.p3international.com/products/sp...0/P4400-CE.html

Plug the meter into a 120 V wall socket and plug the 120 V appliance in question into the meter. Setup the meter to use the rate you pay for electricity ($/KWh} and the meter does the math. My average elecricity cost is $0.11/KWh.

I was particularily curious about the energy consumption of my flat screen TV; turns out to be $20.25/month when ON and $0.71/month in STANDBY.

Another item I was curious about is a networked HP color laser printer that is pretty much ON all the time. When not printing, the machine does a periodic "calibration". After monitoring the power consumption for several hours of idle operation, turns out the power costs $1.10/month.

Cell phone ON and battery charger plugged in = $0.50/month.

Laptop ON and battery charger plugged in = $2.05/month.

This process can keep you busy for a week or more. As soon as I locate someone to help me move the fridge I want to monitor what that energy hog is costing me.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

cough Amazon Link

So you only need one, as you plug in the gadget, monitor usage, then use it somewhere else right?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Correct.

And rather than having to bend and stoop to read the numbers, I use a suitably sized extention cord between the wall outlet and the meter which allows me to position the meter at my convenience.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

As soon as I locate someone to help me move the fridge I want to monitor what that energy hog is costing me.

DON'T DO IT! You'll sleep much better. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Let us know the results.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Started monitoring at 6:00 PM (EST) today and will let it run for 24 hours. Fridge is a 10 year old GE "Profile" 26 cu. ft. side-by-side with the freezer set at 0 degrees and the fresh food side set at 34 degrees.

I need to remember to do this test again in August!!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It appears I have a very efficient ice box! I'm smiling.

Monitoring for 24 hours shows a monthly cost of $6.80. No idea if I captured an auto-defrost cycle.

Test will be repeated in August.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I would love to test my dryer and dishwasher, they run forever

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I still have the EYCO sticker which came with my fridge in 2004. It reports $37/yr at 442kwh/yr.

Allowing for the increase in energy costs, I'm guessing that's about one tank of Shell V-Power per year. I could live with that.

Don't know what the temps are, but over the first few weeks I slowly adjusted the thermostat down until I could reliably open a bottle/can of soda and see a thin crust of ice suddenly appear on its surface. THAT's the correct temperature! :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I would love to test my dryer and dishwasher, they run forever

Measuring the dryer power consumption will be difficult as dryers are commonly 240 Volt appliances. The KILL A WATT meter cannot help you with that one. This frugal old retired batchelor uses a 19th century clothes line on the porch. ;)

Measuring the dishwasher power consumption would be possible with a little bit of temporary wiring modification. The "dry" cycle is what hurts with dishwashers.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

....Don't know what the temps are, but over the first few weeks I slowly adjusted the thermostat down until I could reliably open a bottle/can of soda and see a thin crust of ice suddenly appear on its surface. THAT's the correct temperature! :D

Whatever works for you, Warren.

I prefer to use a LA CROSSE Technology remote temperature sensor.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived