CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 STS "lifters tapping" - used car on craigslist

lothos

96 CADI STS

LIFTERS TAPPING - LISTING AS A PARTS CAR

NO BATTERY

INTERIOR/EXTERIOR GOOD CONDITION

Asking $500

Do the lifters and valves go bad on these engines? I thought that was really rare and it's normally carbon buildup? Would an oil change and bottle of marvel mystery oil clear that up?

Or would something like this be a money pit? The valve lifters are roughly 40 bucks on rockauto.com, how hard is that to replace?

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Could be low oil pressure, damaged cam lobs or lifters. Send the seller a note and ask him if he has seen the oil light at idle.

If this is a parts car, with no battery, I would not mess with it, certainly there is mechanical damage

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Could be low oil pressure, damaged cam lobs or lifters. Send the seller a note and ask him if he has seen the oil light at idle.

If this is a parts car, with no battery, I would not mess with it, certainly there is mechanical damage

that certainly makes sense, thanks BBF

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

You never know, we write off cars as junk but luck out sometimes. A friend of mine bought a 89 vette off Craiglist, it was advertised for 2,500 new tires low milage. Air conditioning doesn't work, car overheats, cruise control inoperable. He went and saw the car and offered the guy 1,800, which he accepted. The car overheated after 15 minutes, he drove it home stopping several times to let it cool. When he got it home and checked under the hood he found between the radiator and air conditioning condenser jammed with leaves he cleaned the leaves out, the car ran without overheating and the air conditioner worked fine. He later discovered a broken plastic piece that went to the cruise control which he replaced for less than 5.00 at the auto parts store and the cruise control works. Sometimes you gamble and win . We often wonder why doesn't it ever work that way for me, but then again do we take those gambles?

Also if you take the chance make a offer below what he wants.Whats the worse that can happen? you part out the car and scrap the rest. Someone will buy the rims to mount snow tires on that has to get you 100.00 and if the tires are any good more than that. The seats if are in good shape will definatly bring a couple hundred, the engine computer 100.00. Pull down trunk release,power antenna,radio,climate control module,rear knuckles are very expesive to replace.coil packs,throttle body a lot of things that are not hard to remove but people will pay a good buck for because they are soo expensive to buy new.

lifter noise is probably low oil pressure. but the car should give you a low oil pressure message. i just went thru that last month. stuck bypass in oil pump. if my motor was shot, what would i think my 96 sts was worth? i would like to think it is worth more than 500 but it is in great shape. we can't value this car without seeing it. how many miles? tearing into a motor to fix internal issues is hard to do. stick in a used motor and thats a lot more money. your total investment in car is now quite high.

lifter noise is probably low oil pressure. but the car should give you a low oil pressure message. i just went thru that last month. stuck bypass in oil pump. if my motor was shot, what would i think my 96 sts was worth? i would like to think it is worth more than 500 but it is in great shape. we can't value this car without seeing it. how many miles? tearing into a motor to fix internal issues is hard to do. stick in a used motor and thats a lot more money. your total investment in car is now quite high.

not sure on the mileage, that was the entire craigslist post and I left a message for the guy a couple minutes ago.

caddypete: that's a great point, thanks man. I know I could use a drivers side rear door, power antenna, probably some coil packs, cd player if the car has it. I bet I could make my money back if I parted out the car.

joeb: it's local to us, I live by the Mall of America. I just called the guy and left a message. If you're interested in going in on it with me, PM me. If it's easily fixed we could split the profit, or part it out.

Cheers!

i am just not feeling the love for pre-98 bodies now. yes some folks like them but i am leaning towards 98+cars. i saw a nice black 98 that needs HG for 1k yesterday. 200k miles though. says it was lady owned. i think there is a 99 with lower miles for 1500. same color. its all about condition though. interior, exterior. bodywork is crazy expensive.

Archived